SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

Bowling Green fans seem very adamant that the only way Bowling Green got to the NCHC is if hell freezes over.

BG very very much wanted to be a part of the original NCHC and are more bitter than a Taylor Swift song about the break-up. Their MO is to whine and cry and be a thorn in everybody's side about a new conference and the NCHC stinks, blah, blah, blah until they actually get the invite they wanted all along and then when the NCHC says "jump", they'll say "how high". They cried a river until Miami and WMU put them back on their schedule. The 3 MAC schools and ND give them a sense of the old CCHA and regional travel they want. They fly to freaking Alaska and bus to UAH right now and a largely hidden in the WCHA despite having a good team right now.

That's really the only selling point.  That, and maybe being able to join a program at their entry into D1.

This is not a hockey town, that's for sure.  Anyone coming from Canada or the Midwest or New England will miss the hockey culture/outdoor ice/etc...I certainly know that I do.

I can definitely see ASU becoming decent in D1 within 5 years or so...but I just don't see them becoming a power.

I've said it before, but the hurdle for becoming competitive is very low.  The USHL and other junior leagues are stuffed full of good players, many of whom are seemingly interchangeable.  The speed of Penn State's ascent speaks to this, as does, in a way, the recent titles by former mediocrities Yale and Union.  Get a good coach with a good eye for talent and chemistry, mix a bunch of older smart grinders with a few late blooming gems and a blue chipper, and there you go.  Besides the sun and pretty girls with golden tans, ASU also has the geographical advantage of being the only program anywhere near the bubbling talent factory in California and the Southwest.

My main question with ASU is its decision to not get a real Division 1 coach.  Gadowsky was a perfect hire by Penn State.  Been around enough to know how it all works, but young enough to still be up and coming. 

If Notre Dame wants to try in get in the NCHC they will find a way to get it done. It's not like Notre Dame has many options that they're going to like outside of what Hockey East is giving them. Notre Dame will not go to the WCHA, the B1G will demand things in other sports like the Michigan-Notre Dame football game to be annual let alone make Notre Dame join the B1G in all sports. Realistically If Notre Dame wants to leave Hockey East they have most likely one option and they will be on their knees begging the NCHC to take them. Right now Notre Dame has no pull, it's either take what Hockey East is giving you or bend over backwards for some else to take you in.

BG very very much wanted to be a part of the original NCHC and are more bitter than a Taylor Swift song about the break-up. Their MO is to whine and cry and be a thorn in everybody's side about a new conference and the NCHC stinks, blah, blah, blah until they actually get the invite they wanted all along and then when the NCHC says "jump", they'll say "how high". They cried a river until Miami and WMU put them back on their schedule. The 3 MAC schools and ND give them a sense of the old CCHA and regional travel they want. They fly to freaking Alaska and bus to UAH right now and a largely hidden in the WCHA despite having a good team right now.

Kind of like the St. Cloud A.D. saying they wouldn't want to be in the league, then after some closed door negotiations, they jumped at the offer.

If Notre Dame wants to try in get in the NCHC they will find a way to get it done. It's not like Notre Dame has many options that they're going to like outside of what Hockey East is giving them. Notre Dame will not go to the WCHA, the B1G will demand things in other sports like the Michigan-Notre Dame football game to be annual let alone make Notre Dame join the B1G in all sports. Realistically If Notre Dame wants to leave Hockey East they have most likely one option and they will be on their knees begging the NCHC to take them. Right now Notre Dame has no pull, it's either take what Hockey East is giving you or bend over backwards for some else to take you in.

The way Notre Dame thinks is they don't want to be the only P5 school in a conference.  That's a big part of why they went with Hockey East and Boston College.  With Arizona State coming onboard, ASU has a lot more name recognition than BC in mainstream sports, so Notre Dame is more attracted to the NCHC.  Notre Dame probably gets to keep their NBC Sports deal, ASU gets on the PAC12 network, UND gets to keep the Fox Sports Atlantic/Central/Pacific spots and the whole conference gets a bigger profile and likely keeps the CBS Sport Network package or even an FS1 or FS2 package.  What is there to lose?  Maybe Notre Dame gets a rotating Frozen Faceoff in Chicago, or even add Denver and Phoenix to the rotation.  If two P5 schools get added to the NCHC, its a big win for the existing NCHC schools.  The NCHC would be viewed as big time outside the hockey world.  It would make the conference much more appealing to Iowa State, Texas, Oklahoma, or Arizona if they wanted to add hockey.  Notre Dame and USC in the same hockey conference?  That would be very appealing to networks.

Bowling Green sounds like SCSU...  can a conference have two Jan Brady's - I guess one in the east and one in the west.

I still think ASU ends up in the B1G.  But with B1G being down do they really want another new potential bottom feeder?  I also think they want some assurances that it is temporary as ASU isn't close to the type of institution the B1G brands itself with academically.

Notre Dame will beg for same and B1G will say no.  Unless Notre Dame is ready to deal for FB.

Anyone know years left on CBS deal?  That's the big hang up for Notre Dame adding.  I do not want to see NCHC cave.  I like idea of conference deal for tv.  I like seeing the other games.  UND gets put on so much because of ratings.

I still think ASU ends up in the B1G.  But with B1G being down do they really want another new potential bottom feeder?  I also think they want some assurances that it is temporary as ASU isn't close to the type of institution the B1G brands itself with academically.

Notre Dame will beg for same and B1G will say no.  Unless Notre Dame is ready to deal for FB.

Anyone know years left on CBS deal?  That's the big hang up for Notre Dame adding.  I do not want to see NCHC cave.  I like idea of conference deal for tv.  I like seeing the other games.  UND gets put on so much because of ratings.

Notre Dame may be just the attraction needed for ASU to accept an NCHC offer. If ASU and more possible PAC 12 members wasn't out there, Notre Dame probably wouldn't have interest. The NCHC is playing its hand wisely.

Notre Dame may be just the attraction needed for ASU to accept an NCHC offer. If ASU and more possible PAC 12 members wasn't out there, Notre Dame probably wouldn't have interest. The NCHC is playing its hand wisely.

I get what you're saying.  Brings back the question of is it worth it if Notre Dame is still wanting special treatment?

The WCHA will cave to any demands that Notre Dame would have, but Notre Dame will not got there. The B1G would force Notre Dame to join in all sports and I don't see that happening. The NCHC is going to wait for Notre Dame to play their hand. Right now it sounds like Notre Dame needs the NCHC more then the NCHC needs Notre Dame.

Just to clarify, think the real targets were Notre Dame and BC when the NCHC formed. The press knew that Notre Dame was considering the NCHC, but the BC talks were under very tight wraps. Notre Dame wanted another P5 school for the NCHC, but couldn't get BC to move. So N Dame was practically forced to go to Hockey East in their view, with no P5 ally in the NCHC. WMU would have been added if ND was the only school in play, but it was only after the talks were officially broken off that WMU and SCSU were added The talk about Notre Dame demanding all these concessions as a reason that the NCHC broke off talks was just an excuse. The ACC gave all kinds of concessions to N Dame, and we're talking big bucks there. The NCHC will give Notre Dame all kinds of concessions as it will mean more money and publicity for everyone. Notre Dame and Arizona State is a win-win-win for all parties. Best of all it keeps ASU out of the hands of the Pig 10.

Just to clarify, think the real targets were Notre Dame and BC when the NCHC formed. The press knew that Notre Dame was considering the NCHC, but the BC talks were under very tight wraps. Notre Dame wanted another P5 school for the NCHC, but couldn't get BC to move. So N Dame was practically forced to go to Hockey East in their view, with no P5 ally in the NCHC. WMU would have been added if ND was the only school in play, but it was only after the talks were officially broken off that WMU and SCSU were added The talk about Notre Dame demanding all these concessions as a reason that the NCHC broke off talks was just an excuse. The ACC gave all kinds of concessions to N Dame, and we're talking big bucks there. The NCHC will give Notre Dame all kinds of concessions as it will mean more money and publicity for everyone. Notre Dame and Arizona State is a win-win-win for all parties. Best of all it keeps ASU out of the hands of the Pig 10.

This. All of this.

The NCHC walked away from Notre Dame because of their TV deal and they wanted to dictate things.

Nothing personal, but I've heard a lot different stories.  ASU joining the NCHC will have nothing to do with whether Notre Dame gets invited or not.  They have a long way to go before the NCHC will actually extend them an invite though as its been stated, they've been in contact for quite a while now.  They don't have unlimited options where to go, pretty much limited to the NCHC, WCHA or the B1G (and that is only if they make a very rare exemption to a school that doesn't fit their footprint or academic standards, which they are very protective about).  And Notre Dame's demands were not an excuse for breaking off talks, if the NCHC was going to cave, they would have done so originally.  Their demands were too much for anyone to deal with and they aren't going to put one school that far above the others.  BC makes very little sense for the NCHC even if there were initial talks.

Again, maybe you heard some different things but some of that is pretty far off from what I've been told.

What's your source on BC being considered for the NCHC?

This makes zero sense from both parties' perspectives.

The NCHC walked away from Notre Dame because of their TV deal and they wanted to dictate things.

I believe you are correct. Notre Dame was using both the NCHC and HE against each other to see which would give them the most concessions. HE caved and NCHC didnt. Denver and North Dakota are used to calling the shots and Notre Dame was too much for their liking.

I do think, however, everybody involved in the league undestands Notre Dame can be a huge asset to the league if Notre Dame has dropped their ego and softened their stance. North Dakota was willing to drop their Midco on FCS deal for the good of conference for CBS but Notre Dame and NBC were not.

CBS has relaxed their exclusivity, HE has worn thin on Notre Dame, and Notre Dame has softened their stance and ego.

Its now time to talk.

• Upvote 2

Just to clarify, think the real targets were Notre Dame and BC when the NCHC formed. The press knew that Notre Dame was considering the NCHC, but the BC talks were under very tight wraps.

Just to clarify, I'm pretty certain that this is your personal opinion and has nothing to do with actual fact. Boston College very much enjoys the regional benefits of being in close proximity to other Hockey East schools. They were adamantly opposed to Notre Dame and UConn joining Hockey East, so why would they decide to bolt it themselves for a conference where they would be flying a plane for EVERY SINGLE ROAD WEEKEND and kill a rivalry with BU in the process?

If I sent an e-mail to Dave Brandon last September saying that I was interested in the head football coaching position should Brady Hoke be fired at the end of the season, can I tell people that I was a serious candidate in quiet talks for the job?

• Upvote 3