SiouxSports.com Forum

2014-2015 College Hockey (non UND hockey)

MafiaMan

B68i_mfCQAES_8n.0.0.jpg

10683810.jpeg

Screen-Shot-2015-01-10-at-12.20.03-PM.pn

Michigan goes faux-back style for their Hockey City Classic jerseys - and the results are in.  This really is a nice old-school look that has to be seen complete with breezers and socks in order to be fully appreciated.  Great colors, numbers on the back show up great.  Again, with the inside-color wording (VICTORS VALIANT, no surprise there), which is a negative, but the back of the jersey has the NCAA championship years listed above the player name, which is a nice plus.  Overall, this thing is a beauty...the final grade is in...

Michigan:  A

Now for Michigan State...

10715703.jpeg

10715718.jpeg

10715719.jpeg

I'll start off by saying that these jerseys were designed by Nike similar to the "Pro Combat" football jerseys that MSU has worn a time or two.  I could leave it at that and hand out my grade now, but I'll analyze these first.

First off, the colors:  Black, dark forest green, and dark copper.  Seems like it's too dark to be seen at a distance further than five feet away and I'm right.  You can't tell the difference between the black and the green on the ice and the copper numbers barely show up at all.  And for some unknown reason, every player for MSU apparently has the last name "SPARTANS," something I'll have to verify later with their media guide. 

As if this thing isn't a big enough of a mess (oops, I'm giving myself away here), Nike decided to add a small roundel "MSU" patch above the Spartan front logo.  Just in case we weren't sure this belonged to Michigan State.  The team captain has not one but FIVE patches on the front of his jersey in addition to the Spartan logo - the Nike swoosh, the B10 conference logo, the MSU roundel, the Hockey City Classic patch, and the captain's C.  FIVE patches.  Are you kidding me? 

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that a graduate of Michigan came up with these things as some sort of sick joke to play on Spartan fans.  It's an outdoor "classic" game.  And while their rivals go with old-school throwback style jerseys, Michigan State busts out some futuristic Terminator meets Robocop jerseys that should have never made it off the cutting room floor.  The grade is in...and I'm sure you can guess it by now...

Michigan State:  F   

-085d59b0b3db31b0.jpg

-c9e0e6d15da0f4b8.jpg

Not from today's game, obviously, but pics of the Western Michigan jerseys.  You can tell these were special event jerseys - note the absence of the NCHC patch. 

"Love + Honor" were the words inside the collar.  "The Brotherhood" was on the arm inside the Adidas, er, sleeve striping on the right sleeve. 

TAJAUSAXXGNMZBC.20150128000755.jpg

VRNQHZEUFJLFKAU.20150128000755.jpg

Looks like the grades are in!

Miami:

Adidas can stop with the 3-stripe look on everything. Their name is already on the front anyways. Front M logo almost invisible from a distance. "The Brotherhood" on the sleeve is something different and a nice touch. However, the state of Ohio on the back with the M over it (above the nameplate) and some sort of slogan inside the collar make this jersey quite busy. Looks like Wisconsin from the back.  And the socks?  They're a mess too. 

Grade: D-

Western Michigan:

I love the vintage color and the script "Broncos." The tiny "Western Michigan" where "Reebok" usually is located is sweet as well. Shoulder yoke, stripes, number on the front below the script but slightly off-center. Somebody did their homework on these beauties.

Grade: A+

In case you missed the grades from the early game, I've downgraded Miami from a C- to a D-.  Those jerseys were C- work, but put together with red breezers and red socks with white vertical stripes?  I just threw up in my mouth a little. 

Now for Michigan State...

10715703.jpeg

10715718.jpeg

10715719.jpeg

I'll start off by saying that these jerseys were designed by Nike similar to the "Pro Combat" football jerseys that MSU has worn a time or two.  I could leave it at that and hand out my grade now, but I'll analyze these first.

First off, the colors:  Black, dark forest green, and dark copper.  Seems like it's too dark to be seen at a distance further than five feet away and I'm right.  You can't tell the difference between the black and the green on the ice and the copper numbers barely show up at all.  And for some unknown reason, every player for MSU apparently has the last name "SPARTANS," something I'll have to verify later with their media guide. 

As if this thing isn't a big enough of a mess (oops, I'm giving myself away here), Nike decided to add a small roundel "MSU" patch above the Spartan front logo.  Just in case we weren't sure this belonged to Michigan State.  The team captain has not one but FIVE patches on the front of his jersey in addition to the Spartan logo - the Nike swoosh, the B10 conference logo, the MSU roundel, the Hockey City Classic patch, and the captain's C.  FIVE patches.  Are you kidding me? 

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that a graduate of Michigan came up with these things as some sort of sick joke to play on Spartan fans.  It's an outdoor "classic" game.  And while their rivals go with old-school throwback style jerseys, Michigan State busts out some futuristic Terminator meets Robocop jerseys that should have never made it off the cutting room floor.  The grade is in...and I'm sure you can guess it by now...

Michigan State:  F   

These are the same jersey they where at home and on the road just no white on the jersey.

In case you missed the grades from the early game, I've downgraded Miami from a C- to a D-.  Those jerseys were C- work, but put together with red breezers and red socks with white vertical stripes?  I just threw up in my mouth a little. 

Miami just needed to and more vertical white stripes and you'd think Bucky the Badger was playing ;).