SiouxSports.com Forum

Adidas deal in the works?

geaux_sioux

Of course you get consistency but you implied that the gear is supplied free. It costs money regardless of any deal.

I apologize if you got that idea, but obviously such a deal is not "free", and I was not trying to imply that. It's an investments that in turn saves on apparel and uniform costs.

I have been doing a little asking around about this apparel contract with Adidas; logistics, teams involved (department wide?), etc.  So I found out something that is arguably the most unbelievable/ridiculous thing I have ever heard: one UND program is against the apparel contract with Adidas and wants nothing to do with it because apparently they prefer Nike.   Which program do you think it is?  Yep, the Men's Basketball program.  My sources are pretty good on this one and I am amazed that a program of their level would think they can reject a sponsorship deal that is for the entire athletic department.  If hockey had a hangup with something, alright lets talk.  But....

To put it in perspective, Adidas sponsors the following basketball programs:  Michigan, Miami, Louisville, Wisconsin, Indiana, Kansas, UCLA, Cincinnati, & Nebraska.  Plus, they sponsor a boatload of FCS level teams like EWU, Sac State, NAU, etc.  

Supposedly, the Adidas deal is going through for the majority of the UND teams, most importantly football.  I don't know what will happen with BB.

If true, very short sided thinking by the MBB staff. If a recruit doesn't choose your school because you wear Adidas, is he really worth recruiting? I would ask the staff this do kids like Nike or Adidas or do they like more free stuff? Without an aparral deal teams have to pay for this things themselves which means they are limited on what they can buy. If they have a deal they get more free stuff. 

So would a recruit like 3 sets of shoes, one travel suit, 2 sets of jerseys, 5-6 workout outfits, 2-3 pairs of sweats of free Nike?

or

Would a recruit like 6 pairs of shoes, 3 travel suits 4 sets of jerseys (Green, White, Black, Grey) 8-10 workout outfits, 2-3 pairs of sweats free of Adidas?

I think I know what 99.9% of kids would prefer.......time for someone to have a talk with MBB and tell them to suck it up. The more free stuff the better. Like UND-1 mention plenty of basketball powerhouses where Adidas.

SDSU is a regional example. They have an all sports deal with Under Armour and their Football team has 4 different sets of Uni's (2 blue, 1 yellow, 1 white) and the MBB & WBB teams have 4-5 uni's (Blue, White, Yellow, Grey, Black) I would love for UND FB and BB to have Green, White, Grey & Black Uni's Football could really have some great combos with some extra helmet colors too.

Not doing this deal for MBB is almost as bad as having the ball with 1 minute left in a tie game and not doing a 2 for 1 so you have the ball last. 

Adidas and UND are in a little pissing match about contract language but the head-to-toe is basically a done deal. Uniforms will be a little different, Kelly green jersey and pants and white jersey and pants. (Kelly green pants??). Helmets are not part of the deal this year as far as I know. Next year, UND gets a third uniform and at that time I think the alums will step up for a throwback helmet. The uniforms are the shock web....the best Adidas makes.

• Upvote 2

Adidas and UND are in a little pissing match about contract language but the head-to-toe is basically a done deal. Uniforms will be a little different, Kelly green jersey and pants and white jersey and pants. (Kelly green pants??). Helmets are not part of the deal this year as far as I know. Next year, UND gets a third uniform and at that time I think the alums will step up for a throwback helmet. The uniforms are the shock web....the best Adidas makes.

Disappointed it doesn't include helmets. Alumni would cover the cost within 2 weeks. Adidas rep should push that issue. Someone needs to slap Faison on the back of the head ala Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

Disappointed it doesn't include helmets. Alumni would cover the cost within 2 weeks. Adidas rep should push that issue. Someone needs to slap Faison on the back of the head ala Leroy Jethro Gibbs.

Since Adidas doesn't make helmets I don't think they care too much. Or, maybe Bubba is working with Gerrel's on helmets.

Well. Under Armour did pass Adidas this year, but has a way to go to get to NIke. U.S Sales Nike-$11.8 billionUnder Armour-$2.6 billionJordan Brand-$2.5 billionAdidas-$1.6 billion

Should have said "catching nike."

Nike has a 32 year head start. Longer than under armour has been around. With its first store only opened since 2007. UA growth is about 35% compared to nikes 8%.

Tried asking questions about the Adidas deal in yesterdays Herald chat but they didn't seem to want to answer. Miller answered one saying something about how he didn't care what brand teams wore.

I don't think he cares about anything.  Sioux Sports breaks every story before him... I don't think he does any investigative journalism.  He never really knows what is going on with recruits or injuries, and he always says he hasn't been to practices in a while....  sorry Tom.

I don't think he cares about anything.  Sioux Sports breaks every story before him... I don't think he does any investigative journalism.  He never really knows what is going on with recruits or injuries, and he always says he hasn't been to practices in a while....  sorry Tom.

One thing I've noticed with Miller's is that he absolutely will not put anything in the paper without a solid source.  Personally, I think he has pretty good coverage with the resources the Herald gives him and despite what others will claim, his articles are pretty direct and not all "duckies and bunnies".

• Upvote 2

One thing I've noticed with Miller's is that he absolutely will not put anything in the paper without a solid source.  Personally, I think he has pretty good coverage with the resources the Herald gives him and despite what others will claim, his articles are pretty direct and not all "duckies and bunnies".

I agree with this. He is a good journalist and it appears he has been trying to cover more UND Football.

Tried asking questions about the Adidas deal in yesterdays Herald chat but they didn't seem to want to answer. Miller answered one saying something about how he didn't care what brand teams wore.

Actually, I was following that chat he did say a little more.  He said he was aware that the Football Team was trying to get a deal directly through Adidas for Football instead of going through a 3rd party as they have been in the past.  He said he wasn't aware of any department wide deal, and that he didn't care what brand teams wore.