SiouxSports.com Forum

Adidas deal in the works?

geaux_sioux

Was listening to Hennessy this morning and they had De Rouen and Cashman from the basketball team on. De Rouen took a shot at Adidas saying he would never wear them again because he had too many injuries with them.

I know the answer but guessing this wasn't podcasted or available to listen if you didn't catch it live correct?  Am curious to hear what he actually said.

Pretty sure he was talking about the shoes. I gotta say though, I am pretty sure some sort of internet record was set this morning between 9:03 and 10:34 for the largest number of posts in 1 thread by people who have absolutely no clue what the hell they are talking about. :sad:

Carry on.

Fortunately for football, the HC realizes the state of the program and is focusing on things that matter. player grades, getting out and supporting university activities, recruiting in ND/MN, engaging alumni, and so on. Whatever logo is on the uniform/shoes is indifferent to the football program.

Yes, all of those things are currently emphasized by the program because of Bubba. A couple years ago with Mussman, supporting fellow athletic teams, emphasizing ND/MN, and engaging alumni was at a minimum. Which leads exactly into my point; UND football has experienced an instant turnaround in many off-the-field areas due to Bubba (on the field is coming up real soon). Men's basketball could possess that same turnaround if the right man has the head job.

Pretty sure he was talking about the shoes. I gotta say though, I am pretty sure some sort of internet record was set this morning between 9:03 and 10:34 for the largest number of posts in 1 thread by people who have absolutely no clue what the hell they are talking about. :sad:

Carry on.

Yes, he was, and yet that does not make it excusable. Adidas is worn by many collegiate and professional greats, so really, there is no legitimacy.

Carry on.

Pretty sure he was talking about the shoes. I gotta say though, I am pretty sure some sort of internet record was set this morning between 9:03 and 10:34 for the largest number of posts in 1 thread by people who have absolutely no clue what the hell they are talking about. :sad:

Carry on.

Would you be willing to explain and set the record straight. I'm curious to hear what you mean by this.

Pretty sure he was talking about the shoes. I gotta say though, I am pretty sure some sort of internet record was set this morning between 9:03 and 10:34 for the largest number of posts in 1 thread by people who have absolutely no clue what the hell they are talking about. :sad:

Carry on.

Why don't you let us know what is 'untrue' about the statements of the past hour and 31 minutes.  

Was listening to Hennessy this morning and they had De Rouen and Cashman from the basketball team on. De Rouen took a shot at Adidas saying he would never wear them again because he had too many injuries with them.

Well at least now we know why the basketball team has had more than it's fair share of concussion issues.   :silly:

First off, I agree with many here the the basketball team needs to be quiet about this as they have no leverage whatsoever. They should be happy that we are going with a top notch gear provider for all sports (about damn time IMHO).

Honest question: I guess I can understand that some guys may have a certain shoe preference (I certainly did with skates). If some of the bball guys prefer Nike shoes can't they just buy their own pair?

Why don't you let us know what is 'untrue' about the statements of the past hour and 31 minutes.  

Lets just say of the 17 posts in that time thread, 12 of them were completely moronic. If you can figure out which side your post(s) fell on then good for you....if you can't, well then, it's probably bad news.

I was actually surprised by a couple posters who are usually fairly level headed and intelligent, but the majority were made by the same idiots who wouldn't know how to put on a jockstrap.

Lets just say of the 17 posts in that time thread, 12 of them were completely moronic. If you can figure out which side your post(s) fell on then good for you....if you can't, well then, it's probably bad news.

I was actually surprised by a couple posters who are usually fairly level headed and intelligent who but the majority were made by the same idiots who wouldn't know how to put on a jockstrap.

OK.  Everything I said about them not wanting Adidias has been proven to be true.  My opinion is that they are in no position to be demanding a certain type of shoe/apparel based upon their stature as a program (no UND program, sans hockey, has that stature) and what they are doing is laughable.  Especially when every other program on campus is fine with it.  Its a shoe.  Not like UND is trying to push Pro Spirit's on them.

To sum it up, I and many others didn't say anything that isn't a realistic opinion, but yes it is just an opinion.  

To be fair, some people do have issues with shoes.  As a runner, I have learned that their are definitely certain shoes I will not wear.  I'm assuming their maybe some of this with bball as well.

I can agree with this as well but I also have a hard time accepting it if it was something that is holding up a department wide deal.  Would the contract require head to toe gear or would the players have the option of different footwear even at their own expense?

To be fair, some people do have issues with shoes. As a runner, I have learned that their are definitely certain shoes I will not wear. I'm assuming their maybe some of this with bball as well.

There's no question this is true, but it's not a deal-breaker. Having an apparel deal is key to programs like football and to limit it because the men's basketball team thinks they have that kind of authority is inconsiderate and laughable.

Adidas makes more than one model or 'kind' of shoe, and again, it comes back to the success of Adidas-sponsored programs. As far as basketball, Louisville, Kansas, Michigan, Wisconsin, and UCLA all wear Adidas shoes and do just fine. Not to mention, many NBA players wear them too. Yes, it may require some getting use to for those who wear Nike regularly, but they aren't going to suddenly cause injury or deter performance.

My question still remains, unless we are getting a boatload of money like Kansas, Louisville, Michigan etc...  which I've been told we are not,  what difference does it make?   If Starbury's came in and said we giving you 1 million dollars a year and providing gear for all the programs, then I would say everyone, football, underwaterbasketweaving, etc is wearing Starbury's.  I heard they make an excellent hockey skate by the way ;)  But to my knowledge that isn't what is happening in this instance.  Why not let each program go get the gear they like?  What this whole discussion has devolved into is both funny and sad at the same time.  So many have got to get their dander up at the silliest things.

My question still remains, unless we are getting a boatload of money like Kansas, Louisville, Michigan etc...  which I've been told we are not,  what difference does it make?   If Starbury's came in and said we giving you 1 million dollars a year and providing gear for all the programs, then I would say everyone, football, underwaterbasketweaving, etc is wearing Starbury's.  I heard they make an excellent hockey skate by the way ;)  But to my knowledge that isn't what is happening in this instance.  Why not let each program go get the gear they like?  What this whole discussion has devolved into is both funny and sad at the same time.  So many have got to get their dander up at the silliest things.

Because UND is finally realizing that branding one logo on all merchandise for fans and jerseys is a benefit and streamlines things.  Having Reebook, Adidas, Nike and Under Armour gear in stores is not advantageous.  I realize they can still do this without basketball signing on.

My question is why is basketball above wearing Adidas?  If 95 football players and 15 womens basketball players can wear Adidas, why is mens basketball too good for it?

Because UND is finally realizing that branding one logo on all merchandise for fans and jerseys is a benefit and streamlines things.  Having Reebook, Adidas, Nike and Under Armour gear in stores is not advantageous.  I realize they can still do this without basketball signing on.

My question is why is basketball above wearing Adidas?  If 95 football players and 15 womens basketball players can wear Adidas, why is mens basketball too good for it?

Why don't you call over to the basketball offices and ask them.  But don't be "that guy" that makes a call and inquiry that doesn't give his or her name...just sayin.

My question still remains, unless we are getting a boatload of money like Kansas, Louisville, Michigan etc... which I've been told we are not, what difference does it make? If Starbury's came in and said we giving you 1 million dollars a year and providing gear for all the programs, then I would say everyone, football, underwaterbasketweaving, etc is wearing Starbury's. I heard they make an excellent hockey skate by the way ;) But to my knowledge that isn't what is happening in this instance. Why not let each program go get the gear they like? What this whole discussion has devolved into is both funny and sad at the same time. So many have got to get their dander up at the silliest things.

By signing an apparel contract, you get discounted items for the required sum of the contract. Essentially, you're getting more items for your money, which is definitely advantageous for the coaches, players, and prospective recruits because they get more gear. It's not a matter of payout, but rather quantity of items, such as shoes/cleats, football gloves, shirts, under-uniform wear, coaches clothing, etc. Its a way to better brand your program.

• Upvote 1

Why don't you call over to the basketball offices and ask them.  But don't be "that guy" that makes a call and inquiry that doesn't give his or her name...just sayin.

Don't need a head coaches opinion, I know it already...just sayin.  More wondering if people on here know a reason why or an angle I am not seeing.  A current player made it clear they dislike Adidas for "injury reasons", I got that.  

Don't need a head coaches opinion, I know it already...just sayin.  More wondering if people on here know a reason why or an angle I am not seeing.  A current player made it clear they dislike Adidas for "injury reasons", I got that.  

Probably one of the dumbest things I have heard in a long time.  Does De Rouen have any personal examples of how he has been injured in Adidas shoes?  Or is there any studies out there that show adidas shoes cause more injuires than Nike or any other brand?  The guy should learn how to not turn the ball over and comit so many dumb fouls instead of worrinying about the shoes he wears!!