SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

Actually I have seen Bubba interviewed several times and have seen him on the practice field with his old man hat on coaching his players. I'm not so sure his prime years of relating to 18-22 year old kids haven't passed him by. I don't think many Bison fans are too concerned about Bubba heading the UND program.

I thought he stole that hat from his mother -in-law. I don't think Bubba cares what anyone, much less some Ag school fans, think about his goofy hat. It protects him from the sun better than a baseball hat. He and his staff seem to be able to relate to young men just fine.

About Bubba's "boonie hat":

Yes, it's a boonie hat. At least that's what Navy SEALS and Army Green Berets and Air Force 160th Special Ops Group, the Night Stalkers, call it when they are issued it as only members of those elite branches of US Special Forces are allowed to wear them in the field.

But surely age 20-ish souls in US Special Forces are just wearing "old man" hats.

Good Lord NDSU fans: You're #1 in the polls. You have a juggernaut. And you're worried about a non-rival coach's hat?

After thought: Maybe UND should start selling digital camo boonie hats with the interlocked ND logo on them.

• Upvote 3

Actually I have seen Bubba interviewed several times and have seen him on the practice field with his old man hat on coaching his players. I'm not so sure his prime years of relating to 18-22 year old kids haven't passed him by. I don't think many Bison fans are too concerned about Bubba heading the UND program. 

You may want to believe that, but that doesn't mean its true.

Recruits have had nothing but great things to say about Bubba and his staff; in fact, UND having 7 recruits already verballed indicates the new football staff is probably UND's greatest strength. 

Three dates of significance to this conversation...

July 27, 1958

September 14, 1962

September 27, 1967

I have no idea what your coach wears on his head, if anything, cuz I don't give a rats behind.

The man wears half a hat ... a VISOR! How will kids relate to that?

http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa7/release/sites/default/files/styles/640x360/public/media/north-dakota-state-chris-klieman-121513.jpg?itok=Vyv0wS9j

(Sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist.)

The man wears half a hat ... a VISOR! How will kids relate to that?http://i.turner.ncaa.com/dr/ncaa/ncaa7/release/sites/default/files/styles/640x360/public/media/north-dakota-state-chris-klieman-121513.jpg?itok=Vyv0wS9j

(Sorry, sorry, I couldn't resist.)

3. Visors--Usually worn by golfers or overrated football coaches, visors were created for men who want to wear a hat, but don't want to muss their hair. Not manly.

http://paulmichaelmurphy.blogspot.com/2009/07/things-men-should-not-wear.html

Bubba vs Klieman...Klieman vs Bubba. We'll need more than one game to determine whether or not either one was a good hire. Tyrone Willingham "restored the glory" at Notre Dame...and was run out of town two years later. His final coaching season in his career was an 0-12 stint at Washington. Charlie Weis was supposed to be the next savior - epic fail. Norm Stewart went from interim hero to head coach at West Virginia...and was shuttled out of Morgantown not long afterward. We all know how Rich Rodriguez fared at Michigan. Michigan State went thru how many coaches after George Perles before hiring Mark Dantonio?

Adding to Matt's point, I think the increased success of SDSU in FCS relative to division II also supports the notion--and arguably even moreso than the NDSU experience--that moving first was a huge, huge reason for the football success both programs have had the past several years. I'm not going to bash RT or Kupchella now, because I believe there were legitimate reasons, or at least reasons that seemed legitimate at the time, for waiting. But in retrospect, waiting turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes the UND athletic department has ever made.

SDSU’s D1 move was promoted by the University’s President and AD as something the school must do to join its peers.  SDSU made the change because the entire University – not just the athletics department – wanted to upgrade.  The discussion at SDSU involved the entire University, athletics, academics, research and research dollars, everything. Athletics was the visible change (the old “front porch” analogy).  Much of the change was simply attitude.  

UND92,96 is right:  the move to D1 itself parallels SDSU football success.  I was a student athlete at SDSU when UNI announced it was leaving the NCC.  Perhaps that was when SDSU should have moved up.  Certainly when SDSU and NDSU made the move, it wasn't too early in my book.  SDSU has had more football success relative to recent DII days -- interesting because we had the same coach, same facilities.  I think the difference is a new commitment.  We’ve added coaches, funding, building new facilities like crazy etc.  SDSU football is now an “event” like never before.  But SDSU renewed its commitment to all sports.  Last year SDSU won its second consecutive Summit League Commissioner’s Cup for its success in all Summit League sports.  SDSU won the commissioner’s awards for both men and women in 2013-14. SDSU has been building a new foundation for athletics but it’s just a part of a bigger picture about SDSU.  We have a great administration including a top-notch AD who have universal support.  We continue to build the foundation required for sustained success in all sports, football included. 

(And we're really great people, too.  ;)    )

• Upvote 1

Yes, it's a boonie hat. At least that's what Navy SEALS and Army Green Berets and Air Force 160th Special Ops Group, the Night Stalkers, call it when they are issued it as only members of those elite branches of US Special Forces are allowed to wear them in the field.

But surely age 20-ish souls in US Special Forces are just wearing "old man" hats.

Good Lord NDSU fans: You're #1 in the polls. You have a juggernaut. And you're worried about a non-rival coach's hat?

After thought: Maybe UND should start selling digital camo boonie hats with the interlocked ND logo on them.

I'd but one of those hats for sure .

I think there is huge opportunity for UND football staring them in the face - start selling "Bubba Hats" with the UND Football logo on them - hey "Cheese heads" started out an insult and now it's a badge of honor

• Upvote 1

Guys, Sorry. Forgot to get info and forgot the thread you gave me the info on.

In Miami, where can I live stream the game again?

Thanks.

Its also on Fox College Sports (Directv 608).  All the home games will be linked up to FCS by Midco this year.

• Upvote 1