SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

I believe that much of the current differences in our programs can be explained with the answer to one question:  "How long would Muss have lasted at NDSU?" - Not only was he tolerated here, many on this board actively defended him and regaled us with tales of how great each recruiting class was.  I know it is sometimes a fine line between being a fan and being a critic, but it seems we have a much greater tolerence for medioctrity up north.  We don't demand winners.  Should we invest more money - sure, but that's only a small part of the problem.  It isn't that hockey steals the money, it's that hockey steals the intensity - Muss has another crappy team and it's "hell with it, I'll go hunting until hockey starts".  Where as down south football is all they have.  There if Bohl has a couple of sub-par seasons after a couple of 10- 1 years it's "by God, he better get it together and right now".  They demand success, we hope for it.  Right now fans are fired up about Bubba.  I hope that translates into increased attendence, funding, and expectations.  I hope we have the collective will to demand and support a winner.  

• Upvote 2

The funny thing about UND Football.   And I said this at the time of the nickname change. 

I remember most everyone on this board whining about so many Alumni trying to fight for the logo and nickname.   Their reasoning?  The almighty Big Sky Conference wouldn't allow us admission if we kept the logo and name.  No way can we let that happen!  The Big Sky is so GREAT!  It's so SUPERIOR to the Missouri Valley and Summit conferences!   So, so, so superior! 

Fast forward a few years and where are we at?  Heritage....GONE.  Yet we are in the BIG BAD BIG SKY CONFERENCE!  However...we are getting our ASSES handed to us in football and now that our last Senior class is gone for BB, I assume we will in Basketball too.  Even though we were never winning the Big Sky with them anyways. 

Meanwhile....NDSU football is the 3 time defending National Champion and their Basketball program is just coming off of their SECOND NCAA Tournament bid. 

Call me friggin CRAZY, but I'll take the "crappier" conference with an actual CHANCE TO WIN IT than being in what so many dumb fans on here consider such a "superior" conference.  Does it matter how superior your conference is when you are sitting AT THE BOTTOM OF IT?

So glad so many of the UND fans rolled over and waived the white flag for the SIOUX.  Granted, it was a fight we were going to lose anyways, but at least some of us can say we fought till the end.  Rather than gave in right away because we were scared about not being admitted into a conference that we can get SLAUGHTERED in every year. 

Up in arms over where the NDSU games are being held?  Pleeeeeease.  We should be happy that NDSU even agrees to play our JOKE of a football program.  And just to be clear, this is coming from someone who hates the Bison football team, program, and its fans TWICE AS MUCH as the Gopher hockey team, program, and their fans.  And I've had season hockey tickets for a decade, had Final 5 season tickets for 12 years, and loves UND hockey more than any sport on the planet. 

• Upvote 1

The funny thing about UND Football.   And I said this at the time of the nickname change. 

I remember most everyone on this board whining about so many Alumni trying to fight for the logo and nickname.   Their reasoning?  The almighty Big Sky Conference wouldn't allow us admission if we kept the logo and name.  No way can we let that happen!  The Big Sky is so GREAT!  It's so SUPERIOR to the Missouri Valley and Summit conferences!   So, so, so superior! 

Fast forward a few years and where are we at?  Heritage....GONE.  Yet we are in the BIG BAD BIG SKY CONFERENCE!  However...we are getting our ASSES handed to us in football and now that our last Senior class is gone for BB, I assume we will in Basketball too.  Even though we were never winning the Big Sky with them anyways. 

Meanwhile....NDSU football is the 3 time defending National Champion and their Basketball program is just coming off of their SECOND NCAA Tournament bid. 

Call me friggin CRAZY, but I'll take the "crappier" conference with an actual CHANCE TO WIN IT than being in what so many dumb fans on here consider such a "superior" conference.  Does it matter how superior your conference is when you are sitting AT THE BOTTOM OF IT?

So glad so many of the UND fans rolled over and waived the white flag for the SIOUX.  Granted, it was a fight we were going to lose anyways, but at least some of us can say we fought till the end.  Rather than gave in right away because we were scared about not being admitted into a conference that we can get SLAUGHTERED in every year. 

Up in arms over where the NDSU games are being held?  Pleeeeeease.  We should be happy that NDSU even agrees to play our JOKE of a football program.  And just to be clear, this is coming from someone who hates the Bison football team, program, and its fans TWICE AS MUCH as the Gopher hockey team, program, and their fans.  And I've had season hockey tickets for a decade, had Final 5 season tickets for 12 years, and loves UND hockey more than any sport on the planet. 

The name is gone and retired, it was the right thing to do to ensure a chance for us to stay in the BSC and to host playoff games. UND was NEVER getting into the MVFC unless there are teams that leave it like YSU or ISUb. As for the Summit League, Douple stuck his nose in our business during the whole nickname thing when UND still had the nickname what makes you think if UND would have kept the name and booted out of the BSC that he would welcome us into his conference. The name is gone accept it and move on. 

I believe that much of the current differences in our programs can be explained with the answer to one question: "How long would Muss have lasted at NDSU?" - Not only was he tolerated here, many on this board actively defended him and regaled us with tales of how great each recruiting class was. I know it is sometimes a fine line between being a fan and being a critic, but it seems we have a much greater tolerence for mediocrity up north. We don't demand winners.

The hockey team loses 2 in a row in October and the fans go nuts about Hakstol. Midway thru last football season, some folks here STILL wanted to wait and see how the season played out with Muss. I don't get it...

Fire alarms should have been going off after the home loss to Sioux Falls. After a 15-13 victory in the rematch, it should have been a four-alarm blaze.

You're missing the point, so let me try to explain it to you like I would to a 5 year old. 

I made it pretty clear in that post that the "name was going away regardless"

The point is that it's funny how so many thought being admitted into the Big Sky was such a "big win" for UND.  And it's even funnier how many posters thought it was such a slam to NDSU to be in a conference so "superior" to theirs.  So we had to hurry up and stop trying to fight the name change, or we'd be missing out on such a GREAT opportunity!

The reward?  An annual ass kicking in football.   Yayyyyy!!!   Meanwhile, NDSU is dominating UND in every sports headline the state has.  Buuuutttttt hey, our conference is soooo much better!   Right?

The hockey team loses 2 in a row in October and the fans go nuts about Hakstol. Midway thru last football season, some folks here STILL wanted to wait and see how the season played out with Muss. I don't get it...

Fire alarms should have been going off after the home loss to Sioux Falls. After a 15-13 victory in the rematch, it should have been a four-alarm blaze.

I don't get that. Hakstol took us to the NC game (or at least to the playoffs), Muss barely got us to .500.   

You're missing the point, so let me try to explain it to you like I would to a 5 year old. 

The point is that it's funny how so many thought being admitted into the Big Sky was such a "big win" for UND.  And it's even funnier how many posters thought it was such a slam to NDSU to be in a conference so superior to theirs.  So we had to hurry up and stop trying to fight the name change. 

The reward?  An annual ass kicking in football.   Yayyyyy!!!   Meanwhile, NDSU is dominating UND in every sports headline the state has.  Buuuutttttt hey!  Our conference is soooo much better!   Right?

It was a big win, because it gave us a home for football. What alternative did our football team have? Independent until they found a home. 

Really surprised not to hear any UND fans talking about the only real reason NDSU beat ISU was due to ISU being bad. Isn't that the usual rhetoric?

ISU is bad, but NDSU looks like NDSU of last year. I admit they surprised me, I thought Wentz wasn't going to look good since he usually is thrown into games with a 20-30 point lead but coming back from 14-0 showed a lot of heart and skill. NDSU will whoop Weber and IW, before the big game against Montana. If they go 4-0 before conference play, I don't think anything is going to stop them.  I will eat my words that I think they were going to fall this year and get maybe 6 or 7 wins and not win in the playoffs. Looks like Craig left the cupboard pretty full and a 4th NC in a row may be in the future.

The point is that it's funny how so many thought being admitted into the Big Sky was such a "big win" for UND. And it's even funnier how many posters thought it was such a slam to NDSU to be in a conference so "superior" to theirs. So we had to hurry up and stop trying to fight the name change, or we'd be missing out on such a GREAT opportunity!

The reward? An annual ass kicking in football. Yayyyyy!!! Meanwhile, NDSU is dominating UND in every sports headline the state has. Buuuutttttt hey, our conference is soooo much better! Right?

This has been explained multiple times over, both at the level of a five year old and 65 year old.

UND was bit getting into any conference with the nickname. Getting rid of the nickname was something the school did for the better of all Olympic sports. Besides hockey, those sports needed a home.

If it wasn't for the nickname fight, UND probably has a conference home for all sports except football (Summit) two years earlier.  Like it or not, the nickname fight hurt every sport on campus other than hockey.  Whether or not membership in the Summit would have lead to membership in MVFC is debateable, but one thing that is certain is that if UND still had the Sioux nickname we wouldn't be in any conference at all and would be in an even worse place than we are now. 

Beebs will tire himself out eventually. As a side note I'm pleased with what MafiaMan has added to the football discussion. It's nice to have knowledgable posters wig don't just regurgitate what other people say.

Agree...always nice to get a SU fan's unbiased perspective.

Too many people including BF drank the Muss Kool-Aid for too many seasons and now this is where we are at.

And people need to stop w the hockey excuse for the ills of the FB program. It's garbage IMO.

On a side note...how good is Crockett for SU. Goodness.

No doubt that Crockett is a Big Ten talent that everyone knew about...  the guy had so many red flags that Big Ten schools just walked away.  No sure that I want him at UND..

I think of how Bill McCartney with the Colorado Buffaloes would circle the Nebraska game as "The Game" for his team when he arrived.  Everyone thought he was nuts. But, it worked.  

UND can have a red circle for MSU, EWU or UM take your pick.  You beat those three schools you are in line for home field through much of the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

No doubt that Crockett is a Big Ten talent that everyone knew about... the guy had so many red flags that Big Ten schools just walked away. No sure that I want him at UND..

I think he has kept his nose clean at NDSU. I think his issues were mostly academic in nature but I could be wrong.

Seems to me the logical thing to do is try to get into the Missouri Valley.

That's not up to us, that's up to the MVFC schools who don't want an extra trip to the Dakota's. Namely Youngstown, Indiana State, and the Illinois schools.

No doubt that Crockett is a Big Ten talent that everyone knew about...  the guy had so many red flags that Big Ten schools just walked away.  No sure that I want him at UND..

Don't do that.

He went to a private catholic high school in the cities and the bigs walked away when his grades didn't make the cut.

Lapanta on KFAN couldn't say enough good things about him.

The ac took a gamble when he had to sit out a year and it paid off.  I wish UND would have done the same.

After reading how you're tired of UND being at the bottom of the Big Sky Conference, which everyone is tired of seeing UND at the bottom of the Big Sky in football. Look at fans of University of Kansas, their basketball team is tops in the nation year in year out but their football team is terrible (All-Time Record: Football 576-589-58; Basketball 2101-812). Granted comparing Kansas and UND isn't the greatest comparison out there. Both have a program that is good (UND-Hockey, Kansas-Basketball) and have been bad in football recently, and Kansas fans have more to complain about then the UND fans when it come to football.

I'm not expecting UND football to be good this year. If they're .500 this year my expectations have been met for the season, and hopefully they improve the next two years. I'd like to see UND schedule non-conference games against teams better then them. Playing better non-conference teams should push the team to get better when they play the better teams in the Big Sky. The coaching staff can only prepare the team to come out and win each game. It's up to to the guys that put the jersey on and go out on the field to play like they don't want to be at the bottom of the Big Sky.

UND can have a red circle for MSU, EWU or UM take your pick.  You beat those three schools you are in line for home field through much of the playoffs.

How has that worked to date?  Same goes for any FBS match-up.

Still patiently waiting for this program's signature win since it moved up to D1...patiently waiting.

How has that worked to date?  Same goes for any FBS match-up.

Still patiently waiting for this program's signature win since it moved up to D1...patiently waiting.

SDSU has not won a FBS game either and they appear to be going just fine and you are right two years into Big Sky, lets scrap it...it sucks they are too tough for us.  Good grief people, give some time.