SiouxSports.com Forum

Future UND/ Bison football Game

Dagger

Your stream yellow colors are shining through brightly in this thread!

You want me to sugar-coat it, Shawn-O? Stop in at the Trapper's Kettle sometime and ask one of the locals who NDSU is playing the following weekend - and then ask them who UND is playing. Even better, ask them about the upcoming North Dakota hockey season...

You want me to sugar-coat it, Shawn-O? Stop in at the Trapper's Kettle sometime and ask one of the locals who NDSU is playing the following weekend - and then ask them who UND is playing. Even better, ask them about the upcoming North Dakota hockey season...

And that is any different out there than 30 years ago how, exactly?

So Bubba has it right by doing what it takes to push for these games.

I'd suggest that's his theory, yes. I'll use another example (not sure if it's still true today): the Minnesota Vikings. There is no doubt that SW ND (and probably most of ND as well) was Vikings country in the 1970's and 1980's. i hated the Vikings simply because purple was everywhere. By about 1993-1994, most radio stations in that neck of the woods were, at a bare minimum, broadcasting BOTH Viking and Packer games. By the time of the Packers/Patriots and Packers/Broncos Super Bowls, the Vikings practically disappeared out there. People I knew from grade school who bled purple were suddenly wearing Favre jerseys. Packer flags were everywhere.

Maybe Bubba thinks the same way, I don't know. Beating Montana and Eastern Washington year after year won't change state-wide fan allegiance. Beating NDSU on a consistent basis will - the key is obviously whether this game gets scheduled on a regular basis.

I'd suggest that's his theory, yes. I'll use another example (not sure if it's still true today): the Minnesota Vikings. There is no doubt that SW ND (and probably most of ND as well) was Vikings country in the 1970's and 1980's. i hated the Vikings simply because purple was everywhere. By about 1993-1994, most radio stations in that neck of the woods were, at a bare minimum, broadcasting BOTH Viking and Packer games. By the time of the Packers/Patriots and Packers/Broncos Super Bowls, the Vikings practically disappeared out there. People I knew from grade school who bled purple were suddenly wearing Favre jerseys. Packer flags were everywhere.

Maybe Bubba thinks the same way, I don't know. Beating Montana and Eastern Washington year after year won't change state-wide fan allegiance. Beating NDSU on a consistent basis will - the key is obviously whether this game gets scheduled on a regular basis.

Sounds like quite a "fan" base. Did the bar goers trade burn their Belfield stuff to clear the closet for Rattler gear when Glen Ullin made state?

• Upvote 1

To be fair, a lot of viking's fans were doing that a few years ago

Lots of debby downers around here about playing NDSU.  I for one couldn't care less if the first two are in Fargo.  The schools will realize the demand and excitement for the game and I imagine they will be having annual games in the near future.

If the games are close and everyone enjoys them and one of the schools decides it doesn't want to play anymore then all hell will break loose.  Residents of this State would be up in arms and I have a feeling the State Legislature would step in and require the game be held.

Just my two cents.

Was Lou Holtz not one of them? He picked NDSU over KSU for the upset last year.

I watched that game in the Hamden Bar, which is about nine miles from Travis Beck's home town. I was the only person in the bar openly cheering for KSU. 

• Upvote 1

After this weekend, it just reaffirmed IMO that UND did the right thing in signing the deal to play SU. Big Sky games aside this program, team and fan base need a red circle game. Obviously the FBS games haven't been and won't be anytime soon. Might as well see where this program is at vs. the top FCS dog sooner than later. Plus it is a game that will be good for the state and all it's college FB fans.

Bottomline...just tired, embarrassed and frustrated as to where this program is at.

• Upvote 1

After this weekend, it just reaffirmed IMO that UND did the right thing in signing the deal to play SU.  Big Sky games aside this program, team and fan base need a red circle game. Obviously the FBS games hasn't been and won't be anytime soon.  Might as well see where this program is at vs. the top FCS dog sooner than later.  Plus it is a game that will be good for the state and all it's college FB fans. 

Bottomline...just tired, embarrassed and frustrated as to where this program is at. 

I think of how Bill McCartney with the Colorado Buffaloes would circle the Nebraska game as "The Game" for his team when he arrived.  Everyone thought he was nuts. But, it worked.  

After watching yesterday's ISU-NDSU game, there is no question NDSU should again be the favorite to win the FCS National Championship. Their administration does what it takes, but ultimately they've just kept on recruiting the right players and developing them. Of course, they again have a large senior class that would be considered one of Bohl's classes. Be interesting to see what Klieman actually comes up with in a few years.

In terms of UND, they just need to improve each and every game. There's no reason UND shouldn't be a top FCS school, other than the administration being obsessed with hockey and not wanting to better emphasize football. If UND is on track, which I'd like to think they are, then Bubba should have them a winning season within a couple years (2015 or 2016). Otherwise, UND's program is officially garbage under the Faison administration. I'm sorry, but under Faison and the DI era, I think every UND football supporter has has their patience yanked at in some way, shape, or form.

• Upvote 1

Too many people including BF drank the Muss Kool-Aid for too many seasons and now this is where we are at.

And people need to stop w the hockey excuse for the ills of the FB program. It's garbage IMO.

On a side note...how good is Crockett for SU. Goodness.

Why can't I quote anymore on here?   Is listening to annoying ndsu fans brag yesterday negatively affecting my already limited level of intelligence?

Anyhoo, I guess I had the opposite thoughts of Oxbow 6, about the upcoming Sioux/Bison game next year.

Unless Bubba works some sort of miracle, this game could be really one sided.   If that indeed happens, how is that going to "help" UND football?  

I am in favor of playing them;  but not every game in fargo.    Faison should have stood his ground for a more reasonable offer, instead of accepting this unprecedented away/away series between two FCS foes.    No one was blaming UND for not accepting the ridiculous terms offered by ndsu, and we would have been just fine waiting a few more years until they come down to earth and agree to a more equitable home/away series with us.  

Judging by what I saw yesterday, ndsu will still be at or near the top of their reign a year from now.  We will be at the beginning of year two of a rebuild.    I just don't see how going to fargo and potentially losing by 40 points is going to be good for the program.   Good luck getting any local kids to come to UND if that happens.      

• Upvote 1

Too many people including BF drank the Muss Kool-Aid for too many seasons and now this is where we are at.

And people need to stop w the hockey excuse for the ills of the FB program. It's garbage IMO.

On a side note...how good is Crockett for SU. Goodness.

Crockett, Frazier, Morlock...any of them would start here.

It has been reality thus far in the DI era. I do believe it is possible for UND to have both successful hockey and football programs, but UND's administration has yet to find a way to make that work. Increased funding is one way out, and there's no arguing the financial support that goes to UND men's and women's hockey consumes a considerable amount of those finances. For example, UND football couldn't even afford to purchase a single set of home football jerseys for this season. The budget did improve from last year to this year, but that needs to be a continuing trend and not an anomaly.

After watching yesterday's ISU-NDSU game, there is no question NDSU should again be the favorite to win the FCS National Championship. Their administration does what it takes, but ultimately they've just kept on recruiting the right players and developing them. Of course, they again have a large senior class that would be considered one of Bohl's classes. Be interesting to see what Klieman actually comes up with in a few years.

In terms of UND, they just need to improve each and every game. There's no reason UND shouldn't be a top FCS school, other than the administration being obsessed with hockey and not wanting to better emphasize football. If UND is on track, which I'd like to think they are, then Bubba should have them a winning season within a couple years (2015 or 2016). Otherwise, UND's program is officially garbage under the Faison administration. I'm sorry, but under Faison and the DI era, I think every UND football supporter has has their patience yanked at in some way, shape, or form.

How is the patience at Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Indiana, Minnesota, North Carolina, Kansas, Boston College, and Virginia these days? This most certainly isn't going to be a one or two season fix-it process. It could take years...

Two schools I can think of who have had their perceptions reversed completely in the past 25-30 years: Colorado and Wisconsin.

Colorado was 1-10 in 1984. Starting in 1985 and lasting thru about 2005, the Buffaloes enjoyed a pretty good run of success, highlighted by the early 1990's period of excellence. The bottom has since fallen out and they are now on their 3rd new head coach since Gary Barnett was fired in December 2005. They opened up yesterday with a 2-TD loss to Colorado State.

From 1964-1989, Wisconsin football was the textbook definition of "doormat." In St Alvarez's first year, 1990, the Badgers went 1-10. By 1999, Wisconsin was a 3-time Rose Bowl champion and is pretty much synonymous with the words "powerhouse program" today. They've come a long ways since Don Morton's rising-out-of-a-coffin "I'm not dead yet" TV commercial (a bizarre advertisement for season tickets) in the early '80's.