SiouxSports.com Forum

#Roccowatch2014

Frozen4sioux

Any "advisor" that tells a young undersized guy to sign early is not typically giving out great advice. You don't get highly paid anymore unless you are in the NHL. Signing without a 10 game NHL commitment is a horrible move in my opinion. You can get tucked into your teams farm system and only ever get NHL playing time if none of the NHL teams other options fail to work out.Better to play out your eligibility, examine free agency options and sign with the team they you honestly have a chance to play NHL hockey with.
The guaranteed money is maxed at about $300k, then you make $70k in the AHL...not a bad way to start your career all in all, but nowhere near the NHL's rookie max when you're in the show of $975k

i think you are correct with gaarder, I've heard he's shy though.

Shy isn't necessarily a bad thing. By shy, I'm assuming you mean he's not very vocal. Some of the best leaders don't say much at all, they just lead by example. I would imagine that Toews didn't earn his C with the Blackhawks at age 20 in only his second year with the Blackhawks by being outspoken, he earned it by his non-vocal leadership skills. Then, when a non-vocal leader does step to the plate and say something, you know it's important.

Never was sold on pattyn, i think you are correct with gaarder, I've heard he's shy though. I have always liked how Rocco conducts himself. He seems very mature. Not sure how he is in the locker room though

I wouldn't be surprised if you see the C on Pattyn's sweater next year. He reminds me a lot of Prpich and Hextall.

I very much disagree with this at his size to be NHL ready you pretty much have to dominate college hockey and he hasn't come close to that. If he wants the money and to go play in the AHL the next few years than he can do that but if he thinks he is gonna be playing in the NHL within the next year he needs to reevaluate. I had pretty high expectations for him coming in and so far he hasn't come close to the type of player I thought he would be.

I actually agree with this. Rocco isn't NHL ready. He would spend AT LEAST one full year in the AHL. In reality, he would probably spend more than one year in the AHL. He'd be making a huge mistake not coming back to UND, and I'm sure he's smart enough to know that. The only way I see him leaving is if the Panthers truly tell him that he would benefit by playing with more skilled linemates and against better competition. That's literally the only way I see him go, and I find it unlikely.

I actually agree with this. Rocco isn't NHL ready. He would spend AT LEAST one full year in the AHL. In reality, he would probably spend more than one year in the AHL. He'd be making a huge mistake not coming back to UND, and I'm sure he's smart enough to know that. The only way I see him leaving is if the Panthers truly tell him that he would benefit by playing with more skilled linemates and against better competition. That's literally the only way I see him go, and I find it unlikely.

For a guy as skilled and dynamic as Rocco is, he disappeared for long stretches way too often. He needs to work out his consistency issues before he leaves, IMO.

For a guy as skilled and dynamic as Rocco is, he disappeared for long stretches way too often. He needs to work out his consistency issues before he leaves, IMO.

That can happen when you have to absolutely carry two other players on your shoulders every single game.

That can happen when you have to absolutely carry two other players on your shoulders every single game.

Not arguing, but he still disappeared when he played with Knight and Kristo two years ago. Point is, he has the ability to dominate every shift, instead he might dominate only a handful of shifts per game.

Not arguing, but he still disappeared when he played with Knight and Kristo two years ago. Point is, he has the ability to dominate every shift, instead he might dominate only a handful of shifts per game.

Toews didn't dominate every shift.

Rocco has been performing at a high level in the defensive zone and on the PKI as well. He'll score a bunch, but his primary offensive asset will be playmaking.

The old time Sioux hockey player that Rocco reminds me most of is Dave Tippett. Fabulous ice sense, sees the whole rink. Terrific skater - first step, flat out speed,agility. Thinks a fast game and surprises teammates with playmaking ability.

Only down side? Neither Tippett or Grimaldi finishes as well as the rest of their game. (By contrast, Troy Murray was just a bit better ...)

Prediction: Rocco eventually wins the Selke as NHL's best defensive forward. Wins reknown as one of the elite penalty killers in the league. Makes a career out of frustrating the All-Stars he lines up against. Wins 2 Stanley Cups with Florida.

(OK that last bit is a bit of a stretch.)

The old time Sioux hockey player that Rocco reminds me most of is Dave Tippett. Fabulous ice sense, sees the whole rink. Terrific skater - first step, flat out speed,agility. Thinks a fast game and surprises teammates with playmaking ability.

Only down side? Neither Tippett or Grimaldi finishes as well as the rest of their game. (By contrast, Troy Murray was just a bit better ...)

Prediction: Rocco eventually wins the Selke as NHL's best defensive forward. Wins reknown as one of the elite penalty killers in the league. Makes a career out of frustrating the All-Stars he lines up against. Wins 2 Stanley Cups with Florida.

(OK that last bit is a bit of a stretch.)

You forgot about the part where he wins the Hobey after leading UND to #8.

OK, that's not a stretch.

Rocco has been performing at a high level in the defensive zone and on the PKI as well. He'll score a bunch, but his primary offensive asset will be playmaking.

Agreed, and toews played with two high end players....so did kristo. There hasn't been too many high end players for the Sioux that we weren't able to match with other players with some offensive ability.

Dont take this the wrong way, but Toewser is a bad comparison. I love Rocco, but he was 20 most of this year and scored 17 goals and had 39 points...when JT was 19 he had 24 goals and 54 points...IN THE NHL