SiouxSports.com Forum

#Roccowatch2014

Frozen4sioux

Yea, the Panthers' brass is paid to find NHL caliber talent...then again, judging by that team's sorry performance since about 1996, maybe they're just working for free lunches.

Dale Tallon is their GM who did assemble the main parts of the core in Chicago. so what is actually happening in Florida is perplexing.

I agree with a lot of this, but please leave the partisan political crap out of it. All it does is start a political flame war, which usually ends with the thread being locked. I often am the black sheep on this forum when it comes to certain topics, but I am not afraid to speak my mind and I make an effort to back up my point of view. Just keep the personal cheap shots out of it (and don't respond to anyone else's cheap shots) and I think you'll be fine.

Exactly.

Exactly what, jimdahl? Are you agreeing that fightingsioux4life is the SiouxSports.com "black sheep" or that political cheap shots need to be left out of the thread? :sneaky:

But would you have said that he was the more complete player coming out of college? I wouldn't. I never saw a lot out of Haula that screamed NHL to me, other than his speed. I think Rocco was a better finisher at the college level. Haula carried a bit of a better defensive standpoint, but not drastically different than Rocco's.

Other than size, I think that Rocco has every tool to be extremely successful in the NHL and even size is a wee bit (see what I did there?) overrated. But I guess you can't teach size, can you?

Yes I would have said Haula was a much more complete player coming out of college than Rocco is however I didn't think Haula would make it to the NHL as soon as he did either. As far as finishing ability I thought Haula was a little better mostly because Rocco misses on so many chances he creates while Haula was able to cash in on most of his chances although he may not have created as many. Rocco must become a better finisher and become more disciplined to find himself in the NHL and we will just have to see if he is able to do that.

This stands out to me...

"“When I leave, it won’t be the last time I’m here, that’s for sure,” Grimaldi said. “I’m in the Fighting Sioux family now. I know the people here will always support me and I will support this team forever.”

You know he means it. He is a special young man. In his interviews, Rocco always seemed to be looking beyond the moment, confident, and with purpose. Highly skilled athlete with a genuine personality and strong faith. Very proud he chose UND and wish him only and all the best.

taz

• Upvote 1

Haula is a much more complete player and can easily move between lines 2,3,&4 and I don't think that Rocco can do that. Haula has made an even quicker jump to being a consistent NHL player than I ever thought he would but I think a lot of that is because of his hockey IQ and ability to play well in the defensive zone. Haula and Rocco probably aren't a real great comparison when looking at players either unless you are just looking at speed. Rocco may have more skill but that skill hasn't translated into as much production as it probably should have and IMO the big thing he has to do if he wants to get a shot to play in the NHL is convert on more of the chances he creates.

Grimaldi reminds me of Jordan Schroeder. Both stood out on the WJC stage and for what ever reason underwhelmed in college. Both left early and will end up spending a lot of time in the A.

Grimaldi reminds me of Jordan Schroeder. Both stood out on the WJC stage and for what ever reason underwhelmed in college. Both left early and will end up spending a lot of time in the A.

Wasn't Schroeder named PRE-Season WCHA Player of the Year Prior to his last season with the Gofers?

Wasn't Schroeder named PRE-Season WCHA Player of the Year Prior to his last season with the Gofers?

JS was pretty helpful as freshmen, certainly aided Stoa getting a contract. Second year exposed him lacking finishing ability. Statistically Grimaldi looks a bit better especially if he didn't see top line icetime. But yeah preseason expectations of JS were pretty high.

JS was pretty helpful as freshmen, certainly aided Stoa getting a contract. Second year exposed him lacking finishing ability. Statistically Grimaldi looks a bit better especially if he didn't see top line icetime. But yeah preseason expectations of JS were pretty high.

Ok, wasn't sure if I was thinking of the right guy.

Schroeder played like he had no interest his sophomore season, he never should've come back. Grimaldi works ten times as hard as Schroeder ever did. They have simliar size and had similar expectations but I'd say that's where the comparison ends.

Grimaldi > Schroeder.

Schroeder played like he had no interest his sophomore season, he never should've come back. Grimaldi works ten times as hard as Schroeder ever did. They have simliar size and had similar expectations but I'd say that's where the comparison ends.

Grimaldi > Schroeder.

Agree 100%, I remember Schroeder in HS....wow! His tenure at MN was pretty vanilla.

• 2 weeks later...