SiouxSports.com Forum

#Roccowatch2014

Frozen4sioux

Aren't they subsidized?

Not really a subsidy per se like corn and wheat. The government loans Crystal Sugar money at an extremely low rate. If Crystal does not want to pay the loan they dump sugar onto the government. The sugar is the collateral for the loan. They have protections in place to keep other sugar out of the market. They grow wheat and corn (the farmers) that they want to sell to other countries. Then they want to keep the same countries from selling sugar here.

He only played in 55 games over three years according to hockeydb.

For some reason I don't think Hockeydb is count all his games....just his USHL schedule. The NTDP would have played college and international game too.

I don't know if this is fact however I did hear this from that particular draft, Rocco is the shortest highest player ever drafted in the nhl. Had he been 6 ft....he would have went top 3.

For some reason I don't think Hockeydb is count all his games....just his USHL schedule. The NTDP would have played college and international game too.

I don't know if this is fact however I did hear this from that particular draft, Rocco is the shortest highest player ever drafted in the nhl. Had he been 6 ft....he would have went top 3.

You are right they didn't. Looking right at the NTDP site he had a lot more points. Now I see why the expectations were so high.

There is no debating that Rocco is a great hockey player...so was Jeff Panzer and countless others who never saw the ice or simply got a cup of coffee in the show.

If he turns pro, I will wish him much success. However, from a readiness perspective, he just isn't there yet. Bjugstad is in the same franchise, has monster physical gifts, and outperformed Rocco (so far) in his college career.

Rocco will not play in the NHL next year. He must determine if the signing bonus and the development opportunity and okay money of the AHL is worth it...all I have to say is that guys that go to the A have to prove they can play, and guys who are 5'6 in the A have to score 40 goals to prove they can play. Guys who go right to the show have to prove they can't play.

If I were in Rocco's shoes, I would stay one more year...minimum

• Upvote 1

Plus time value on 220k is closer to zero than 10k. Hopefully for only one more year.

We can analyze it every which way, but in the end a guy has to make his own decision based on what he thinks is right for him.

For the record, I think it would be better for me if he stayed another year.

Yeh....that's about 7 pages of thread rolled up into 1 post right there, uh-huh....

People have mentioned others who have left early and never got out of the AHL. I wonder if these guys ever really expected to rise above the AHL? Of course they dreamed of playing in the NHL but did they really expect to?

If you don't expect to, it probably won't happen. You must believe in yourself and believe that you are capable of rising to the top of the ladder or you don't stand a chance. Someone like Jonathan Toews had his sights set on the NHL as a kid and believed he would get there. And all his hard work and belief in himself has paid off big-time. Confidence is necessary to succeed in anything and hockey is no exception.

If you don't expect to, it probably won't happen. You must believe in yourself and believe that you are capable of rising to the top of the ladder or you don't stand a chance. Someone like Jonathan Toews had his sights set on the NHL as a kid and believed he would get there. And all his hard work and belief in himself has paid off big-time. Confidence is necessary to succeed in anything and hockey is no exception.

And I had my sights set on the NBA as a kid and believed I would get there too. I worked hard and believed in myself. But the only college court I saw was Hyslop - for intramurals. :lol: Alas, the NBA never found me.

And I had my sights set on the NBA as a kid and believed I would get there too. I worked hard and believed in myself. But the only college court I saw was Hyslop - for intramurals. :lol: Alas, the NBA never found me.

Har, har har! ;) I guess the point of my post was that if you are an inspiring NHL player, you need to believe in yourself or you might as well quit hockey and do something else. Of course these guys in the AHL believe they can make it. Not all of them will, but nobody wants to look back 20-30 years later and wonder what might have been.

There is no debating that Rocco is a great hockey player...so was Jeff Panzer and countless others who never saw the ice or simply got a cup of coffee in the show.

If he turns pro, I will wish him much success. However, from a readiness perspective, he just isn't there yet. Bjugstad is in the same franchise, has monster physical gifts, and outperformed Rocco (so far) in his college career.

Rocco will not play in the NHL next year. He must determine if the signing bonus and the development opportunity and okay money of the AHL is worth it...all I have to say is that guys that go to the A have to prove they can play, and guys who are 5'6 in the A have to score 40 goals to prove they can play. Guys who go right to the show have to prove they can't play.

If I were in Rocco's shoes, I would stay one more year...minimum

Good assessment