SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

You'd think with how much hype he gets that Eichel would be close to passing what Paul Kariya did as a freshmen.

It's a different game today than it was 20 some years ago.  Eichel's numbers as a young freshman are incredible....he deserves all the press he's getting.

• Upvote 1

I understand they are all on the same page, but now it's about the details. Listening to Hak this week that is his message. The details includes LJ not take untimely penalties. The details includes Schmaltz shooting the puck instead of passing. Both of these are little things and both are doable.

Nick sure did fine waiting to pass to Jordan on Saturday, no?

Coach will probably go to Blais or Sandelin, just because they like to give it to teams that struggled the year prior. Zane and Mark each have a shot, but I've gotta think Laleggia will beat out Schmaltz for offensive d-man.

So they misspelled the coach of the year then right? It's spelled Blasi, going from #8 to #2.

So they misspelled the coach of the year then right? It's spelled Blasi, going from #8 to #2.

Lol give me a break... Your team was supposed to win the league last year and grossly underperformed. You want Blasi to win it because he finally got them to play like they were supposed to?

You'd think with how much hype he gets that Eichel would be close to passing what Paul Kariya did as a freshmen.

It's a different game today than it was 20 some years ago.  Eichel's numbers as a young freshman are incredible....he deserves all the press he's getting.

So true.  Do you think our modern day players' offensive production can be fairly compared to Hrkac's 116 points and Bob Joyce's 52 goals in a single season?  Or Greg Johnson's 272 points in a career?  

Since this thread has turned to a discussion about the Hobey Baker Memorial Award (and more specifically, about Zane McIntyre's chances of being among the top ten finalists), I thought I'd weigh in.

This is my best shot at predicting which players will make the Hobey Top Ten, along with stats, features, and notes on each one. Does Zane get the Berger jinx or the Berger snub? Find out here: link

Discuss. :)

Dave

And the fact that Michigan State played a defense first, second and third system had nothing to do with those numbers?  You will probably say no, I say yes.

Sure having a good defense in front of you and the style matters but you aren't exactly going out on a limb if you pointed out that Zane has a pretty good D-man corps and strong defensive forwards playing in front of him as well.  I guess I couldn't tell you exactly the style Michigan State played but they scored 134 goals in 42 games (3.2 goals/game) and UND currently has 125 goals in 37 games (3.4 goals/game).  Its not liked Zane is getting peppered compared to Miller was, less than 2 more shots/game so far through the season.

Miller stopped 1,024 out of 1,078 seeing an average of 27.0 shots/game.

Zane has stopped 989 out of the 1,061 seeing an average of 28.7/game.

Point being, Panzer was more than well deserving, but Miller's numbers were crazy and there was no conspiracy.  And as MafiaMan pointed out, if you think Zane should be a Hobey finalist, than its tough to argue that Miller wasn't worthy of winning the award with the numbers he had.

I think Zane should be a top 10 finalist.  Eichel has the award wrapped up.

Looks like I got seven out of ten correct again, with all three of the players I missed on (Ciampini, McIntyre, and Wydo) listed among my six honorable mention spots. Can't feel too badly about that.

I'm not surprised that McIntyre is in. Just can't believe he's the only goalie among the top ten. Has to make him a lock for the Mike Richter Award.

Dave

Looks like I got seven out of ten correct again, with all three of the players I missed on (Ciampini, McIntyre, and Wydo) listed among my six honorable mention spots. Can't feel too badly about that.

I'm not surprised that McIntyre is in. Just can't believe he's the only goalie among the top ten. Has to make him a lock for the Mike Richter Award.

Dave

The jinx is in!!!

Dave

Dave put your green tinited glasses back on when you pick the Hobey Hat Trick!! :)

Sure having a good defense in front of you and the style matters but you aren't exactly going out on a limb if you pointed out that Zane has a pretty good D-man corps and strong defensive forwards playing in front of him as well.  I guess I couldn't tell you exactly the style Michigan State played but they scored 134 goals in 42 games (3.2 goals/game) and UND currently has 125 goals in 37 games (3.4 goals/game).  Its not liked Zane is getting peppered compared to Miller was, less than 2 more shots/game so far through the season.

Miller stopped 1,024 out of 1,078 seeing an average of 27.0 shots/game.

Zane has stopped 989 out of the 1,061 seeing an average of 28.7/game.

Point being, Panzer was more than well deserving, but Miller's numbers were crazy and there was no conspiracy.  And as MafiaMan pointed out, if you think Zane should be a Hobey finalist, than its tough to argue that Miller wasn't worthy of winning the award with the numbers he had.

I think Zane should be a top 10 finalist.  Eichel has the award wrapped up.

Good post. Bad luck for Panzer that year as he would have won the award 9 out of 10 times with the season he had, but Miller deserved the award. The beauty of that whole scenario is that we ended Millers season in the Frozen Four if my memory serves me well.

Wasn't their best forward serving a suspension for that game? IIRC, the conspiracy was that WCHA officials assessed the penalty because their next opponent was the Sioux. Sucks getting old and not being able to remember all the details.

MVP — Joey LaLeggia, Denver

Herb Brooks coach of the year — Dave Hakstol, North Dakota

Forward of the year — Trevor Moore, Denver

Defenseman of the year — LaLeggia, Denver

Goalie of the year — Zane McIntyre, North Dakota

Defensive forward of the year — Mark MacMillan, North Dakota

Offensive defenseman of the year — LaLeggia, Denver

Scholar-athlete of the year — Nick Mattson, North Dakota

NCHC sportsmanship award — Nick Oliver, St. Cloud State

Good haul for the UND folks today.

Surprised that Oliver got the sportsmanship award, thought he was one of the whiniest opposing players that we saw this year.

Surprised that Oliver got the sportsmanship award, thought he was one of the whiniest opposing players that we saw this year.

And Rau got it for the B1G.  Maybe everyone just decided to troll with their voting for that award.

Nick Oliver is one of the classiest kids in the league. He is a solid captain for his team and whining and arguing with referees for his team are 2 different things. He is a lunchpale kid that is respected by all that play beside him. I was not at all surprised by his award!