SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

http://www.uscho.com/hobeywatch/2015/03/17/an-effort-to-narrow-the-hobey-list-to-10-ahead-of-thursdays-announcement/

I just don't understand it. How is Zane not on this list? I know I wear green-colored glasses, but, he's clearly a Hobey pick, in my eye.

Just remember when reading this stuff, opinions are like @#*holes, everyone has one.

http://www.uscho.com/hobeywatch/2015/03/17/an-effort-to-narrow-the-hobey-list-to-10-ahead-of-thursdays-announcement/

I just don't understand it. How is Zane not on this list? I know I wear green-colored glasses, but, he's clearly a Hobey pick, in my eyes.

Lyon and Phillips have better numbers then Zane does. Zane wouldn't make my Hobey Baker top 10. Let's be honest for a goalie to win the Hobey Baker has to put up Ryan Miller numbers.

• Upvote 1

Lyon and Phillips have better numbers then Zane does. Zane wouldn't make my Hobey Baker top 10. Let's be honest for a goalie to win the Hobey Baker has to put up Ryan Miller numbers.

Not sure we'll ever see a goalie win it again, regardless of numbers, considering there's now the Mike Richter award.

I love Zane...not a Hobey.  I think the glaring stat is 1 shutout.  That's not enough.  We see all of his performances first-hand, but many of the voters rely on stats.  They can't watch every player every game.  So, unless your stats are gaudy, you're not going to get looked at.

With that said, that doesn't mean the player with the best stats wins.  You still need great stats, but opponent difficult and/or rare accomplishments and team success play into.  Zane fits into this mold decently, but his overall stats are not there.

Also, with the new Richter award this year, it will probably turn into a "Cy Young" type award in baseball where a pitcher rarely wins the league MVP.

• Upvote 1

I love Zane...not a Hobey. I think the glaring stat is 1 shutout. That's not enough. We see all of his performances first-hand, but many of the voters rely on stats. They can't watch every player every game. So, unless your stats are gaudy, you're not going to get looked at.

With that said, that doesn't mean the player with the best stats wins. You still need great stats, but opponent difficult and/or rare accomplishments and team success play into. Zane fits into this mold decently, but his overall stats are not there.

Also, with the new Richter award this year, it will probably turn into a "Cy Young" type award in baseball where a pitcher rarely wins the league MVP.

I never a said he'd win. I just think it's insane he wouldn't be considered a Top 10 guy. I'd say his NCAA leading wins, and top 7 GAA and SV% are pretty gaudy.

I saw that article too.  I was surprised, but not outraged, that Zane received as little acknowledgement as he did.  I thought it was the perception of most college hockey commentators that Zane was the reason for this season's success.

I'll say this.  I would really like to get all these college hockey sportswriters, bloggers, etc..., into the same room and ask them exactly how they think UND is doing it this year.  Smoke and mirrors?

They are #1 in the PWR.  Tied for best winning % in the country, and won the regular season title in the conference most feel is strongest top to bottom, at least this year.

But apparently our Corsi numbers suck.  We don't have anyone even sniffing the top 50 in scoring.  Our penalty kill is average, at best.  Our power play is ok, but not in the top 10 nationally.  And apparently it isn't our goaltender.

Maybe it is all just smoke and mirrors.

I saw that article too.  I was surprised, but not outraged, that Zane received as little acknowledgement as he did.  I thought it was the perception of most college hockey commentators that Zane was the reason for this season's success.

I'll say this.  I would really like to get all these college hockey sportswriters, bloggers, etc..., into the same room and ask them exactly how they think UND is doing it this year.  Smoke and mirrors?

They are #1 in the PWR.  Tied for best winning % in the country, and won the regular season title in the conference most feel is strongest top to bottom, at least this year.

But apparently our Corsi numbers suck.  We don't have anyone even sniffing the top 50 in scoring.  Our penalty kill is average, at best.  Our power play is ok, but not in the top 10 nationally.  And apparently it isn't our goaltender.

I love it. We've had the high profile teams with the high profile players that have fallen short, in the past. Maybe this is how it gets done? Seems to be that Union was pretty nondescript last year. Yale the year before? Absolutely. I love this team. Keep selling us short.

Our penalty kill is best in the NCHC.  At least that's what I heard at some point during last weekend's broadcast.

Well, I think they were saying our PK was the best in the conference in conference play only.

But that link above says we're 3rd in the conference in conference play only.  Plus, I remember it being in the 84% range, which refers to our national PK.  Our in conference PK is only 80%.

I just don't understand it. How is Zane not on this list? I know I wear green-colored glasses, but, he's clearly a Hobey pick, in my eyes.

Doesn't matter to this team. Thinking back, I bet Duncan would have given up his Hobey for a national championship. That's the prize this team is after. The Penrose is great, the conference tournament championship would be nice, but this team has one ultimate goal and that is #8. They would gladly give up all the other hardware to hang a national championship banner!

• Upvote 1

Doesn't matter to this team. Thinking back, I bet Duncan would have given up his Hobey for a national championship. That's the prize this team is after. The Penrose is great, the conference tournament championship would be nice, but this team has one ultimate goal and that is #8. They would gladly give up all the other hardware to hang a national championship banner!

Well no duh lol. Obviously this team doesn't care and I certainly would much rather have them hang No. 8, but that doesn't mean Zane shouldn't be recognized for a record year.

I worked for the DS during Duncs Hobey year and I had many conversations with him about the Hobey not being nearly as important and just an individual award. However, doesn't mean he didn't deserve it.

Not sure we'll ever see a goalie win it again, regardless of numbers, considering there's now the Mike Richter award.

I agree with this.  They had to give it to a goalie in 2001 so that they didn't have to give it to a North Dakota native playing for a small Midwestern school in a city with just 50,000 in it.  :glare:

Anyway, these awards are all political and subjective.  I (and certainly the team) care more about championships (NCHC regular season and playoff titles and the NCAA title).  Let the media fawn over whomever they want.

Funny you should mention that. Zane would rather win an NCAA Title than a Hobey

EB: What would it mean to you if you made the Hobey Hat Trick?

ZM: It would be pretty cool. I think it would be really special to get that recognition, a little feather in your cap.  It’s a cool individual accolade. Yeah. But at the end of the day, we’re playing for one thing and that’s national championship.

I agree with this.  They had to give it to a goalie in 2001 so that they didn't have to give it to a North Dakota native playing for a small Midwestern school in a city with just 50,000 in it.  :glare:

Anyway, these awards are all political and subjective.  I (and certainly the team) care more about championships (NCHC regular season and playoff titles and the NCAA title).  Let the media fawn over whomever they want.

Just so people remember how ridiculous Miller's numbers were and to put them next to Zane's season in process:

Ryan Miller 2000-2001:              31-5-4, 54GA, 10 SO, 1.33 GAA and .950 SV%

Zane McIntyre's 2014-2015:      27-7-3, 72 GA, 1 SO, 1.97 GAA and .932 SV%

Funny you should mention that. Zane would rather win an NCAA Title than a Hobey

EB: What would it mean to you if you made the Hobey Hat Trick?

ZM: It would be pretty cool. I think it would be really special to get that recognition, a little feather in your cap.  It’s a cool individual accolade. Yeah. But at the end of the day, we’re playing for one thing and that’s national championship.

I, as I'm sure the rest on the board, never had a question which one was more important to him. Just feel he deserves the recognition. A better one would be FF MVP and a beautiful national title trophy. I'm sure he would agree :)

Just so people remember how ridiculous Miller's numbers were and to put them next to Zane's season in process:

Ryan Miller 2000-2001: 31-5-4, 54GA, 10 SO, 1.33 GAA and .950 SV%

Zane McIntyre's 2014-2015: 27-7-3, 72 GA, 1 SO, 1.97 GAA and .932 SV%

If you're arguing that McIntyre deserves the Hobey Baker, you certainly cannot also argue that Panzer was robbed, can you?
  • Upvote 1