SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2014-15 season

Frozen4sioux

Zane's numbers this year are nearly identical to what Wilcox put up last year and he was a Hobey Finalist.  

Zane this year =  27-7-3  1.97 GAA and a .932 SV%.  

Wilcox last year =  26-6-6  1.97 GAA and a .932 SV%.

It's spooky how close the numbers are.  Last year I had no doubt that Wilcox was worthy of being a finalist so I have no problem with Zane getting the same recognition.  He deserves it this year.

I, as I'm sure the rest on the board, never had a question which one was more important to him. Just feel he deserves the recognition. A better one would be FF MVP and a beautiful national title trophy. I'm sure he would agree :)

I am just finishing up an interview I did with LaDue and they all say the same thing. They're all on message and on the same page. 

Zane's numbers this year are nearly identical to what Wilcox put up last year and he was a Hobey Finalist.  

Zane this year =  27-7-3  1.97 GAA and a .932 SV%.  

Wilcox last year =  26-6-6  1.97 GAA and a .932 SV%.

It's spooky how close the numbers are.  Last year I had no doubt that Wilcox was worthy of being a finalist so I have no problem with Zane getting the same recognition.  He deserves it this year.

The only thing that could work against him is the lack of shutouts.  Really, GAA and shutouts are as much of a team stat as they are a goalie stat, and honestly, I think it is even more impressive that his GAA is so low given the lack of shutouts, it shows major consistency throughout the year (he could have 4 shutouts and give up 4 goals in 4 games and his GAA wouldn't be effected).  If there were a stat kept for "shutouts lost in the last 3 minutes of a game", Zane would be the NCAA leader in that category, no doubt.  It's almost comical how many shutouts he has lost late in games the past three years.

• Upvote 1

Are they putting too much pressure on themselves...just like the dont touch the trophy squad.

I don't see it like that this year, mostly because two lines did all the scoring with one line being relied upon heavily. This team, top to bottom is more polished. It may be the first line that buries you, it may be the fourth line, and that brings quite a bit of confidence. Only thing I do worry about is if Zane has a hiccup in net, his play is the key.

I don't see it like that this year, mostly because two lines did all the scoring with one line being relied upon heavily. This team, top to bottom is more polished. It may be the first line that buries you, it may be the fourth line, and that brings quite a bit of confidence. Only thing I do worry about is if Zane has a hiccup in net, his play is the key.

One thing about Zane is that he's done a phenomenal job this year of shaking off any kind of hiccup and not let it turn into three or four. I'm very confident in this kid.

I definitely think Zane is the best goalie this year but I have a feeling that he won't win the Richter. The voting for that is going to be based almost entirely on stats and there are a couple of goalies that have better stats. Anyone that has gotten to watch Zane as much as we have, know how great he is. Others that haven't seen him will see 9th in the country in GAA and only 1 shutout.

I definitely think Zane is the best goalie this year but I have a feeling that he won't win the Richter. The voting for that is going to be based almost entirely on stats and there are a couple of goalies that have better stats. Anyone that has gotten to watch Zane as much as we have, know how great he is. Others that haven't seen him will see 9th in the country in GAA and only 1 shutout.

But what's the most important stat? Wins. He's got the most. Just sayin' :)

Michigan Tech goalie has more wins and a better GAA and save%. Again I think Zane is the best goalie but I have a gut feeling that it will go to someone else.

ETA: not more, the same number of wins

Most chatter around the interwebs is that Zane will win. I'm not sure who decides the award, but I would hope it's not people who look straight at stats. I would hope they pick a winner who consensus feels is the best goalie. 

Most chatter around the interwebs is that Zane will win. I'm not sure who decides the award, but I would hope it's not people who look straight at stats. I would hope they pick a winner who consensus feels is the best goalie.

Outside if of the stats for the Richter, I think it's a huge plus that Zane probably gets the most exposure of any goalie in the country since we're on TV/NCHC.tv nearly every week. Everyone has a chance to really get a sense of how good he really is.

I am just finishing up an interview I did with LaDue and they all say the same thing. They're all on message and on the same page. 

I understand they are all on the same page, but now it's about the details.  Listening to Hak this week that is his message.  The details includes LJ not take untimely penalties.  The details includes Schmaltz shooting the puck instead of passing. Both of these are little things and both are doable.

Just so people remember how ridiculous Miller's numbers were and to put them next to Zane's season in process:

Ryan Miller 2000-2001:              31-5-4, 54GA, 10 SO, 1.33 GAA and .950 SV%

Zane McIntyre's 2014-2015:      27-7-3, 72 GA, 1 SO, 1.97 GAA and .932 SV%

And the fact that Michigan State played a defense first, second and third system had nothing to do with those numbers?  You will probably say no, I say yes.

If you're arguing that McIntyre deserves the Hobey Baker, you certainly cannot also argue that Panzer was robbed, can you?

I for one don't think McIntyre is quite up to the level of a Hobey Baker winner.  That said, I wouldn't trade him for anyone else in the nation right now.  He is solid as a rock for us.