SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Early Departures

brianvf

Maybe this has been discussed before, but since there are only four teams left playing, who are the early departure risks for each of them?

For North Dakota, I've got Rocco Grimaldi and Jordan Schmaltz both at <10% chance of leaving. Everybody else would be a complete shock.

Any idea about Minnesota, BC, or Union?

Dave

I think a lot of players on Minnesota could leave and I wouldn't be surprised, but the only player's with more than a 50/50 shot of leaving are Skjei and Rau.

BC has Gaudreau at 99.9% chance of leaving, Matheson 50/50, everyone else is either graduating or is an underclassman.

Not really sure about Union, other than Gostisbehere probably leaving.

Maybe this has been discussed before, but since there are only four teams left playing, who are the early departure risks for each of them?

For North Dakota, I've got Rocco Grimaldi and Jordan Schmaltz both at <10% chance of leaving. Everybody else would be a complete shock.

Dave

I don't know what else there is for Johnny Hockey (just coined that myself!) to do in college hockey. I read an article where he said that his mom wanted him to stay in college and finish out, but he is clearly ready to move up a league or two.

Other possibilities: (note, other than Gostisbehere, not really huge flight risks)

~Gostisbehere (Union)

~Ciampini (Union)

~Rau (UM)

~Wilcox (UM)

~Gothberg

I can't really see Rau leaving right now either. He fits into that same skilled/small forward type like Grimaldi/Czarnik/Barber, etc. And the Miami players are sticking around, as would be Grimaldi I'd assume.

Gaudreau has got to leave (right??). He is obviously ready for the next level...BC was lucky to have him come back this year.

If he leaves, I could honestly see BC taking a small step back next season. That would be their top 4 scorers all gone from this year.

We'll see I guess.

I don't know what else there is for Johnny Hockey (just coined that myself!) to do in college hockey. I read an article where he said that his mom wanted him to stay in college and finish out, but he is clearly ready to move up a league or two.
Gaudreau has got to leave (right??). He is obviously ready for the next level...BC was lucky to have him come back this year. If he leaves, I could honestly see BC taking a small step back next season. That would be their top 4 scorers all gone from this year. We'll see I guess.

The other thing to keep in mind is that both Johnny and his younger brother Matthew (a freshman on this year's Eagles squad) committed to the same school on purpose. Not sure if that outweighs the other factors, but he's got to at least consider playing with his younger bro for one more year.

Dave

With the play of Gothberg this season, i believe the sioux were one "goal scorer" short of being a 30 win team. We have a talented group of forwards but none of them stand out as great finishers. With the year Simonson had at Lincoln I'm hoping that "nose for the net" translates to the college game. Simpson is a big loss but I think our blue line comes back better next season.

That being said I can't think of a guy i'd rather see raise the National championship trophy than #18. Let's go Sioux!

I can't really see Rau leaving right now either. He fits into that same skilled/small forward type like Grimaldi/Czarnik/Barber, etc. And the Miami players are sticking around, as would be Grimaldi

This is exactly why I think either Rau or Grimaldi leave......and I think Rau

I don't see Florida investing too much in the undersized forward area when they already roll that role in the system a bit .

I can see them wanting Grimaldi to leave now as if he stays one more season they take the chance of him using the free agent market clause...but I think education is important to Rocco and his desire is to see nhl ASAP....that means the free agent route gives him the best option to pick his franchise fall of 2015..after he hangs 9.

I can see Rau wanting to get the jump on the chance into the system as to not have to compete with Grimaldi in Florida system as they are similar and we all know Rau is a little selfish beeAtch so I can see him jumping right away at up the chance to get the inside edge in floridas system....

I say she signs with Florida Friday.

Dave

I agree with the und players. I don't think minny loses anyone. I can't remember if BC has two seniors on that top line however both players will leave....and I'm not taking about gudreau, he'll be back. Union will loses shayne G.

Curious if any Sioux fans think Gothberg is a flight risk?

Looking a Bruins depth chart, he would fit right in.

Didn't he have his scholarship reduced?

I'm seeing allot of goalies leave early and ability wise, Shane is right there. Add to that his potential upside. He looks like he is ready to jump is at the AHL level for a year or two, and from there, who knows.....

I'm seeing allot of goalies leave early and ability wise, Shane is right there. Add to that his potential upside. He looks like he is ready to jump is at the AHL level for a year or two, and from there, who knows.....

The Bruins are stacked between the pipes with Rask on a long-term deal and Subban and Svedberg in the system. I'd be very surprised if Zane isn't at UND next year.

• Upvote 1

The Bruins are stacked between the pipes with Rask on a long-term deal and Subban and Svedberg in the system. I'd be very surprised if Zane isn't at UND next year.

I an going to agree with Snake on this one, as a full time Bruins fan, I don't see him moving... They are stacked between the pipes

Said it before but I'd be very surprised if Zane left after this season and think he will probably be here through his senior season. Lot of goalie depth in the Bruins system so they probably won't push him and he has developed nicely so far at UND. Add to that his dream since he was young was to play for the Sioux so I don't see him giving that up to go play probably at best half the games for some minor league team.

As far as Gothberg goes, it would be interesting to know what the Bruins and Gothberg are thinking. If you are the Bruins, do you try and sign him after his Junior season, knowing that you could lose a draft pick if he stays through his Senior season, and if he is playing well, you have some trade bait. On Gothberg's behalf, do you see the backlog of talent the Bruins will have in goal, and try and wait until after your Senior season and open yourself up as a free agent. Interesting perspectives from both sides.

I'm thinking Zane gets traded. Too many goaltenders in that stable in Boston. And with continued development I'm thinking Zane could be NHL ready in about 4 years, if he ever gets that far.

i see zane finishing out his senior season. Goth to me is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential i believe this kid is a special goaltender. Dont know if he is the caliber of belfour or not but hes going to leave his mark in the pro game imho

i see zane finishing out his senior season. Goth to me is just starting to scratch the surface of his potential i believe this kid is a special goaltender. Dont know if he is the caliber of belfour or not but hes going to leave his mark in the pro game imho

one thing is that belfour was a 22 or 23 year old freshman

If Rocco has two more Great games he could be gone & if he does I wish him the best - if not maybe next yr

Maybe but I don't see it even if he has 2 great games. I would think Florida would want to see him develop a greater level of consistency in his game before signing him.

Maybe but I don't see it even if he has 2 great games. I would think Florida would want to see him develop a greater level of consistency in his game before signing him.

agreed. he's not dominating at the college level yet consistently. i would think they want to see him score more goals before he would move to a higher level against bigger players.

Not sure about that....Boston is pretty deep at the goalie position. I believe their backup has even played great this year. Subban was highly drafted I think it's safe to say Zane comes back.

agreed. he's not dominating at the college level yet consistently. i would think they want to see him score more goals before he would move to a higher level against bigger players.

I have been confused by this for awhile. Let me first say that I too believe Rocco will be back for next year, but after that he's gone. The one thing I have been analyzing are the points his line-mates are getting. Typically if one guy is running away with point totals for his particular team his line-mates are chipping in at somewhat of a consistent rate. That is the case with almost every team in hockey at every level. The only exception I guess would be if a teams leading scorer played with different players on the pp than he played with at full strength....and he put up substantial pp pts. This is not the case with Rocco; he leads our team in pts by a decent margin and his linemates are no where in sight. I am honestly starting to think Hak is doing that on purpose to somehow balance his lines. In that case, I give Rocco tons of credit. If he played with two better, more offensive, players his pt totals would be much better in my honest opinion. But if Hak did, there would be a major gap after the first line that this team could not compensate for. Again, I give Rocco props for accepting that role while still producing as this teams top pt getter.

• Upvote 1

I have been confused by this for awhile. Let me first say that I too believe Rocco will be back for next year, but after that he's gone. The one thing I have been analyzing are the points his line-mates are getting.

I too find it curious. Rocco is a one-of-a-kind player and i don't mean his height. i mean the angles he takes around the rink, the passes he makes, etc. He's just different than most players the way he moves around the rink, the plays he sees and tries to make. At times it seems he has a really hard time gelling with anyone regardless of who he's skating with. Take the World Junior tourney. He didn't fit like a glove with the other elite players in playing the same game out there. But he did score the critical goals on the biggest stage. I've scratched my head several times over the last couple years when he doesn't convert on a breakaway or a grade-A scoring chance. I guess with the hype coming in, i expect him to pull those off much more often than he does. I do think one more year at this level would benefit him more than going to the AHL. He does seem more comfortable on and off the ice in interviews than when he first arrived. You can never question his effort that's for sure and i'm happy he came here to play hockey.