SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Early Departures

brianvf

I can tell you being on campus I have met a lot of people that are good friends with Rocco. He's parents really want he to stay another year here but there also has been talk about his girlfriend saying it will be weird adjusting to him being in Florida next year. If I had to put money on it though I would put it on his mother getting her way. They are a very family oriented group with his parents essentially living up here during the season. My guess is he comes back for at least one more year. Also of note though his freshman year he said to a lot of people he would only be here 3 years. With this being his third year I'm slightly worried he might leave

I would have loved to see Rocco with Kristo and Corban full time. They were so fun to watch. It's gotta be tough for him to be a playmaker when he's usually with a couple of grinders.

As far as him staying 3 yrs...that plan probably didn't factor in a year lost to injury.

Pat Steinberg@Fan960Steinberg 31m

Here's the update: Can confirm Gaudreau and Arnold will sign with the #Flames, and will be available for Sunday in Vancouver.

Some classy stuff from the Flames today. Brought personalized Flames jerseys, with their new numbers, to the families at the Hobey Baker ceremony. Then, both Gaudreau and Arnold rode in a limo with Flames personnel directly from the event to the Philly airport where the Flames private jet was waiting. Talk about an amazing experience for those two players and their families.

Hakstol said on the radio today that a couple of guys had decisions to make, and that it isn't something you just rush into. I would assume it would have to be Grimaldi and Schmaltz.

...oh man. Hear we go. Neither should leave....it would be unfortunate. For some odd reason I feel like Rocco will leave. I am also starting to think that Nick Schmaltz is a risk to head to the CHL...and that may lead to J Schmaltz heading to the AHL. St. Louis is so deep on their blue line, I think it would be dumb for Schmaltz to leave.

...oh man. Hear we go. Neither should leave....it would be unfortunate. For some odd reason I feel like Rocco will leave. I am also starting to think that Nick Schmaltz is a risk to head to the CHL...and that may lead to J Schmaltz heading to the AHL. St. Louis is so deep on their blue line, I think it would be dumb for Schmaltz to leave.

I'm hearing rumblings...ok lets say rumors and unsubstantiated at that...that it is a coin flip if these 2 come back. But then I heard rumblings from my SU buddies that Bohl would never leave Fargo...................

Bottom line Rocco is a great talent, but hasn't produced points wise like some think he should have at this point. No secret that he isn't the easiest guy to play with on the ice due to his unique skill set at this level. Schmaltz IMO is/was easily the best talent on this year's team...when he seemed interested in playing...which wasn't every night.

I think the Schmaltz's are a package deal and we either get both or none.

I think the Schmaltz's are a package deal and we either get both or none.

Agreed, I have thought this the whole time. There was someone on this site who kept saying N Schmaltz is a lock to come in like they had an inside contact or something. I need that reassurance again.

Agreed, I have thought this the whole time. There was someone on this site who kept saying N Schmaltz is a lock to come in like they had an inside contact or something. I need that reassurance again.

I second that!

Losing Jordan, Nick and Rocco would be totally devastating

Schmaltz IMO is/was easily the best talent on this year's team...when he seemed interested in playing...which wasn't every night.

I can agree from an offensive and skill perspective from the back-end but he has a long ways to go in the D-zone to be NHL ready in my opinion. He still can be taken off the puck quite easily and has trouble getting others off the puck. Another year and another 10-15 pounds would help tremendously.

I can agree from an offensive and skill perspective from the back-end but he has a long ways to go in the D-zone to be NHL ready in my opinion. He still can be taken off the puck quite easily and has trouble getting others off the puck. Another year and another 10-15 pounds would help tremendously.

Might need 2... ;-)

• Upvote 1