SiouxSports.com Forum

2014 Early Departures

brianvf

I second that!

Losing Jordan, Nick and Rocco would be totally devastating

Just had a buddy bring up a really good point. Why would N. Schmaltz spend two years in the USHL and then go to the CHL when he could've gone there right away? Makes sense to me.

Just had a buddy bring up a really good point. Why would N. Schmaltz spend two years in the USHL and then go to the CHL when he could've gone there right away? Makes sense to me.

So you're saying Nick is coming for sure and Jordan will absolutely stay to play with his brother for 2 years and Rocco wants to be here for titles #8 and #9?!? :bigsmile:

• Upvote 1

So you're saying Nick is coming for sure and Jordan will absolutely stay to play with his brother for 2 years and Rocco wants to be here for titles #8 and #9?!? :bigsmile:

Yes. And in the words of MM. Book it :) ... I wish I could say this is true. Man that would be awesome.

I thought the same thing....however that has happened many times. It really depends on which "advisors" he goes with and who drafts him. When you get drafted it is pretty easy to be persuaded. They pretty much tell you everything you want to hear and push the CHL route as they have a financial interest in that league.

I thought the same thing....however that has happened many times. It really depends on which "advisors" he goes with and who drafts him. When you get drafted it is pretty easy to be persuaded. They pretty much tell you everything you want to hear and push the CHL route as they have a financial interest in that league.

Has that happened many times? I feel like they play one year and go, or not go to the USHL at all, in the cases I've seen.

Has that happened many times? I feel like they play one year and go, or not go to the USHL at all, in the cases I've seen.

Yes it has. Are you simply asking do USHL players go to the CHL? Or are you lumping in all former USHL players....including those which decommit....which are obiously a ton. Schmaltz is the same age as all those NTDP that decommit every year and head north.

Also, I was including NTDP players in that comment, as they are affiliated with the USHL.

Yes it has.

Ok. Well... maybe show me something so it's not your word against mine. Not trying to stir the pot, but I'd like to see some the names of kids that have done it. Especially players who had commitments to NCAA teams. Matteau and Miller stand out as a couple.

Yes it has. Are you simply asking do USHL players go to the CHL? Or are you lumping in all former USHL players....including those which decommit....which are obiously a ton. Schmaltz is the same age as all those NTDP that decommit every year and head north.

Also, I was including NTDP players in that comment, as they are affiliated with the USHL.

What I was asking was how many players play in the USHL (Yes, I include NTDP) for TWO FULL YEARS, like Nick did and then bolt to the CHL. My point is that all the big names that have bolted to the CHL have either left mid season or after one year. Would be weird to me to see him play two years in the USHL when he didn't have to, granted the the CHL wanted him, which of course they did.

Ok. Well... maybe show me something so it's not your word against mine. Not trying to stir the pot, but I'd like to see some the names of kids that have done it. Especially players who had commitments to NCAA teams. Matteau and Miller stand out as a couple.

Koules....there are many other players from other teams as well (kid who was supposed to go to WMU). I wasn't simply talking about UND.

Maybe I should have said every so often because "a lot" seems like it happens 50% or whatever.

What I was asking was how many players play in the USHL (Yes, I include NTDP) for TWO FULL YEARS, like Nick did and then bolt to the CHL. My point is that all the big names that have bolted to the CHL have either left mid season or after one year. Would be weird to me to see him play two years in the USHL when he didn't have to, granted the the CHL wanted him, which of course they did.

I get what you're saying....I'm just saying that it has a chance of happening. Why would a kid play in the USHL for a year or 2, show up on campus and then subsequently bolt to the CHL with only one year remaining? Why not just go immediately at 16?

I get what you're saying....I'm just saying that it has a chance of happening. Why would a kid play in the USHL for a year or 2, show up on campus and then subsequently bolt to the CHL with only one year remaining? Why not just go immediately at 16?

Agreed, there's a chance, but from the big names that I'm reading about, they play 1 year or a half year and then bolt on their commitment. Not two full years.

Miller seems to be the one that was the most painful because of the timing and I think he's also the exception when kids leave for the CHL. Generally, it seems to come after 1 or a half year in the USHL or a league of the like.

Agreed, there's a chance, but from the big names that I'm reading about, they play 1 year or a half year and then bolt on their commitment. Not two full years.

Miller seems to be the one that was the most painful because of the timing and I think he's also the exception when kids leave for the CHL. Generally, it seems to come after 1 or a half year in the USHL or a league of the like.

The WMU kid did the same thing, Koules did too didn't he?

Everyone is focusing on Schmaltz and Rocco for us but I would keep an eye on LaDue too. He is obviously an old freshman and I'm sure the Kings would like to get him in the organization as soon as possible especially after a good freshman year that he had. After saying all this though, I do expect him to come back for one more season.

Everyone is focusing on Schmaltz and Rocco for us but I would keep an eye on LaDue too. He is obviously an old freshman and I'm sure the Kings would like to get him in the organization as soon as possible especially after a good freshman year that he had. After saying all this though, I do expect him to come back for one more season.

Ladue isn't going anywhere.

Not exactly sure. You talking Mike McCarron? Not sure how close he got to campus, but he played only a year in the USHL. Koules decommitted in late April, if I'm not mistaken.

Ok, I guess I'm confused as to what the initial point was now. We can agree to disagree....although I'm not exactly sure if we are agreeing or disagreeing :)

No reason for them to rush him just because of a good first season. They have some good depth in the minors and I'm sure they're fine with the way he is developing at UND

Certain teams come to mind that make me worry when it comes to pressuring the guys to leave early(NYR, NYI) but I'm sure there are plenty of teams that look at UND as a great place to let their guys mature and develop without having to rush them onto the AHL.

Certain teams come to mind that make me worry when it comes to pressuring the guys to leave early(NYR, NYI) but I'm sure there are plenty of teams that look at UND as a great place to let their guys mature and develop without having to rush them onto the AHL.

and the Blues have Oshie as an example.

No reason for them to rush him just because of a good first season. They have some good depth in the minors and I'm sure they're fine with the way he is developing at UND

Just saying from the rumors I've heard around campus it is a possibility. I didn't think there was any chance he would leave until his junior year at the earliest but then this came up.