SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

no scholarship covers any expense during the summer.  That means they must pay for housing and food for themselves. It also means if they choose to take summer classes instead of work they must pay for tuition.

I know first hand.

no scholarship covers any expense during the summer.  That means they must pay for housing and food for themselves. It also means if they choose to take summer classes instead of work they must pay for tuition.

I know first hand.

DI schools are allowed to give summer aid to non-freshmen. They may choose not to, but it is allowed.

15.2.8 Summer Financial Aid. Summer financial aid may be awarded only to attend the awarding institution’s summer term, summer school or summer-orientation program, provided the following conditions are met: (Revised: 1/10/90, 1/10/92)

(a) The student has been in residence a minimum of one term during the regular academic year;

(b) The student is attending a summer term, summer school or summer-orientation program and financial aid is administered pursuant to Bylaw 15.2.8.1.2, 15.2.8.1.3 or 15.2.8.1.4; or

© The student is a two-year or a four-year college transfer student and is receiving aid to attend the awarding institution’s summer-orientation program.

15.2.8.1 General Stipulations. A student-athlete who is eligible for institutional financial aid during the summer is not required to be enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies. However, the student-athlete may not receive financial aid that exceeds the cost of attendance in that summer term. A student-athlete may receive institutional financial aid based on athletics ability (per Bylaws 15.02.4.1 and 15.02.4.2) and educational expenses awarded (per Bylaw 15.2.6.4) up to the value of a full grant-in-aid, plus any other financial aid up to the cost of attendance. (See Bylaws 15.01.6.1, 16.3, 16.4 and 16.12.) (Revised: 4/29/04 effective 8/1/04, 5/26/09, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

There's a bunch more, but those are the basics.

is that referring to financial aid (a loan for tuition from the school that needs to be paid back)?  or is that referring to a student-athlete getting scholarship money for summer classes?

because in 2008 I was told I needed to pay for my summer classes myself, so I applied for financial aid and took out a loan.  My situation could have been different?? IDK??

is that referring to financial aid (a loan for tuition from the school that needs to be paid back)?  or is that referring to a student-athlete getting scholarship money for summer classes?

because in 2008 I was told I needed to pay for my summer classes myself, so I applied for financial aid and took out a loan.  My situation could have been different?? IDK??

Regular athletic scholarships just like fall and spring. It's allowed, but many schools don't offer it because of budget reasons. When asked whether NDSU was going to offer FCOA stipends several months ago, Matt Larson(our AD) said his first priority was fully funding summer school scholarships. It's likely many schools don't have the budget to offer any summer scholarships at all.

I do know that there are specific stipulations that must be met before the UND athletics office will award summer scholarship money.  Things could have changed since 2008, but I suspect the coursework you pursued didn't fit the criteria.

My brother watched the Badlands Bowl.  Said Krebs from Bismarck St. Mary's, and Tristan Hartness receiver from Davies were 2 best players on the field.  Krebs had a pick 6. 10-12 tackles, 1 sack and pressured QB on blitzes.  I thought UND missed on him and should have recruited him as a d-back.  Kid is also a hitter, they had him at LB.  The Hartness kid had a "highlight reel" TD catch over 2 defenders and caught everything thrown his way. Had 11 receptions.  Elijah Grady's brother, who is going to U of Mary, also had good game.  Was double teamed most of time and had a sack and tackle for loss.  Elijah didn't play. Sounds like U of Mary got  a couple of kids who should be studs at their level.  Sounds like the Hartness kid is a great athlete who good be a great posession receiver.

My brother watched the Badlands Bowl.  Said Krebs from Bismarck St. Mary's, and Tristan Hartness receiver from Davies were 2 best players on the field.  Krebs had a pick 6. 10-12 tackles, 1 sack and pressured QB on blitzes.  I thought UND missed on him and should have recruited him as a d-back.  Kid is also a hitter, they had him at LB.  The Hartness kid had a "highlight reel" TD catch over 2 defenders and caught everything thrown his way. Had 11 receptions.  Elijah Grady's brother, who is going to U of Mary, also had good game.  Was double teamed most of time and had a sack and tackle for loss.  Elijah didn't play. Sounds like U of Mary got  a couple of kids who should be studs at their level.  Sounds like the Hartness kid is a great athlete who good be a great posession receiver.

I didn't see the game but heard Aidan was injured.  Have you heard how bad he was injured? Also was wondering why Elijah didn't play?

I actually watched a part of the game online and Montana had a really nice looking QB and a really fast WR that hurt team ND badly.  The problem with Tristan Hartness will be a lack of speed but he looks like he will catch anything thrown near him. 

I actually watched a part of the game online and Montana had a really nice looking QB and a really fast WR that hurt team ND badly. The problem with Tristan Hartness will be a lack of speed but he looks like he will catch anything thrown near him.

He's so lanky and skinny that maybe he will tap into some speed after gaining weight.

I like Tristan Hartness at WR. Speed can hopefully be increased, but the kid is a gamer. Right now I would say he is probably better than Blackwell from Dickinson but Blackwell has some good speed to work with so he might have more potential. I see Hartness being a guy who could see time at WR in a few years. He's better right now than ND guys like Siebel and Moody (NDSU) were coming out of HS. We'll see how he does once he gets here though. Neither is close to Dulin from Michigan though who looks like a stud on film.

I also agree with IRA on Krebs and Darryl Grady. Krebs in particular was probably a top 5 player in state on talent right now, he just probably doesn't project well. My guess is size was the biggest factor. He's a little to slow to play FCS db and would've been a small outside LB for UND. Young man is a flat out FB player though. Also sounded like the ND coaches in the Mon-Dak game were the most impressed with Grady all week. He definitely has the size. He was region player of the year in BBall too. Being we recruited Elijah, just a guess here but maybe we offered a PWO and Mary had a scholarship. Would've loved to have seen both in green and white but you can't sign everyone and Bubba is doing a great job. Nice job by Kotelnicki getting those kids though, both will be nice players at Mary.

I'm starting to get nervous about the lack of chatter on any additional FBS transfers at the RB and CB postions; given that it is almost July. Not because I think that FBS transfers are always the answer, but because we NEED depth at those positions or we could end up relying heavily on Freshman.

Any rumors or chatter out there?

I'm heading to the MN All-Star game in St, Cloud on Saturday - looking forward to seeing Jade Lawrence, John Santiago and Carl Engwall on the field.

http://www.allstarfootball.org/

Here's Jade Lawrence, John Santiago, and Carl Engwall at yesterday's MFCA All-Star game in Minnesota. Santiago won the offensive MVP for the North squad. Lawrence had a number of nice runs, and Engwall got good pressure on the North QBs all day. Three good football players.UNDBoysAllStar.jpg

who are our FBS players added for next year, any others we are still looking at?

The Sioux Football Insider blog does a great job of tracking all players for a given year and lists them on the right side of the page.  I believe 3 former FBS guys will be on the team next season- Georges, Arrington and Baker.

The window for bringing anyone else in is nearly closed with camp being less than a month away although it impossible to write anything off entirely.  Our coaches seem to be very well connected.

The Sioux Football Insider blog does a great job of tracking all players for a given year and lists them on the right side of the page.  I believe 3 former FBS guys will be on the team next season- Georges, Arrington and Baker.

The window for bringing anyone else in is nearly closed with camp being less than a month away although it impossible to write anything off entirely.  Our coaches seem to be very well connected.

I'm guessing that the staff is still hoping to hit a home run with a RB transfer.  I've heard they are actually confident in Santiago, Iwarri Smith and Oliveira being able to log reps as RBs this year so they're trying not to just bring in someone for the sake of bringing in someone.  There are one or two CB transfers that are/were being looked at, but I don't know the status of those and haven't heard much in the past week or two.

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing that the staff is still hoping to hit a home run with a RB transfer. 

I'm still holding out hope that one of Ohio State's three QBs will transfer here.

I fear we have about the same chance of our hopes coming true. 

Any word on which freshmen will be in GF all summer? I saw that Mason Bennett will head to UND right after graduation, which is awesome. Hoping most freshman will do the same, particularly our running back recruits. The more experience and work they get in right away, the better off they will be this fall.

I ran into Carl Engwall's mother this morning. She said they met a few guys when they dropped Carl off in GF yesterday. Iwarri Smith, Jade Lawrence, Brad Heidlebaugh, Elijah Grady, Bryce Blair and Tyus Carter were the names she could remember.

I ran into Carl Engwall's mother this morning. She said they met a few guys when they dropped Carl off in GF yesterday. Iwarri Smith, Jade Lawrence, Brad Heidlebaugh, Elijah Grady, Bryce Blair and Tyus Carter were the names she could remember.

Really nice to hear those guys are on campus now!