SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

yeah, but I don't know Michigan's track coach's name; and whatever it is, it isn't nearly as much as to say.

Miami got three stud football players with track scholarships, one being Santana Moss, back in the day. They "walked on" to the football team and were full scholarship track guys.

I wonder why the coaches never looked into Phillip Nelson as an option at QB. Obviously the guy comes with alot of baggage, but could provide a solid addition and some real competition at QB.

Not crazy about the idea, just hasn't been much else going on in the football conversation.

I wonder why the coaches never looked into Phillip Nelson as an option at QB. Obviously the guy comes with alot of baggage, but could provide a solid addition and some real competition at QB.

Not crazy about the idea, just hasn't been much else going on in the football conversation.

Not high specifically on Phillip Nelson as the guy, but I do think Bubba should consider bringing in an FBS dropdown QB if he can find one. I'm not impressed with really any of the QBs on the roster right now, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Miami got three stud football players with track scholarships, one being Santana Moss, back in the day. They "walked on" to the football team and were full scholarship track guys.

Just for clarification, they have since fixed the system to prevent that from happening.  They would be counted under football for scholarship purposes.

Not high specifically on Phillip Nelson as the guy, but I do think Bubba should consider bringing in an FBS dropdown QB if he can find one. I'm not impressed with really any of the QBs on the roster right now, but I hope they prove me wrong.

Yeah, obviously had some character issues. BUT after all that he went through with that process, I have to imagine he would make the most of his next opportunity. Big, strong guy with Big Ten experience. Could probably come in and do some pretty good things.

Yeah, obviously had some character issues. BUT after all that he went through with that process, I have to imagine he would make the most of his next opportunity. Big, strong guy with Big Ten experience. Could probably come in and do some pretty good things.

Isn't the guy that he put into a coma the brother of a UND women's hockey recruit that will be on campus?   Count me as a "No Way" on this guy. 

• Upvote 1

Isn't the guy that he put into a coma the brother of a UND women's hockey recruit that will be on campus?   Count me as a "No Way" on this guy. 

Not going defend the guy, already said he had some character issues (though it shouldn't matter who was put into a coma, its bad regardless of relations). Second you need to dig in past the headlines. There were three people involved. An personally I think they are all morons, yes including the kid who was in a coma. They all put themselves into a stupid situation and that guy got the worst of it. Prime example of why getting into fights is stupid, you never know what can happen. They are all to blame.

I was simply throwing out the thought of an available QB with FBS experience.

The video evidence showed Kolstad as the aggressor and he initiated the fight by sucker punching Nelson from behind.  Kolstad was then punched by a random guy, Trevor Shelley, which knocked Kolstad unconscious with his head hitting the pavement. The  prosecution's own medical expert concluded it was altercation with Shelley that caused Kolstad's major injuries, not what Nelson did afterward.  That does not excuse what Nelson did after he was punched, but it puts it in context.  Nelson was able to plead down to a misdemeanor given the video and medical evidence.  I have no opinion on whether he should be given a second chance at UND, or anywhere for that matter.  But, as with most things, the story ended up being a lot more complicated than it was initially reported. 

The video evidence showed Kolstad as the aggressor and he initiated the fight by sucker punching Nelson from behind.  Kolstad was then punched by a random guy, Trevor Shelley, which knocked Kolstad unconscious with his head hitting the pavement. The  prosecution's own medical expert concluded it was altercation with Shelley that caused Kolstad's major injuries, not what Nelson did afterward.  That does not excuse what Nelson did after he was punched, but it puts it in context.  Nelson was able to plead down to a misdemeanor given the video and medical evidence.  I have no opinion on whether he should be given a second chance at UND, or anywhere for that matter.  But, as with most things, the story ended up being a lot more complicated than it was initially reported. 

Too sum up ... they were all idiots.

To follow up on the success some of Bubba's recruits had at the track meet last week. The Hartness twins from Davies are playing in the State championship for baseball today. Both are pretty good baseball players as well. All of the ND kids Bubba is bringing in are all really good multi sport athletes, it will be fun to watch them develop once they concentrate fully on Football. Austin Cieslak was a good example from last years class and he's already to the point of being in the rotation for next fall on the DL as a Rr Fr. 

To follow up on the success some of Bubba's recruits had at the track meet last week. The Hartness twins from Davies are playing in the State championship for baseball today. Both are pretty good baseball players as well. All of the ND kids Bubba is bringing in are all really good multi sport athletes, it will be fun to watch them develop once they concentrate fully on Football. Austin Cieslak was a good example from last years class and he's already to the point of being in the rotation for next fall on the DL as a Rr Fr.

This "ND kids who are multi-sport athletes" focus in recruiting was completely absent under Mussman. Now, with Bubba going all in on it, UND will actually have a recruiting pool of talent that is consistent. I see this paying off big time for UND football.

This "ND kids who are multi-sport athletes" focus in recruiting was completely absent under Mussman. Now, with Bubba going all in on it, UND will actually have a recruiting pool of talent that is consistent. I see this paying off big time for UND football.

Muss had a few, but I agree it wasn't as big of a priority as Bubba is making it. Bubba also isn't backing down from NDSU on them which is nice to see even if we lose a couple. Last year UND signed quite a few and 2016 appears to be a strong year for local kids so I would expect more. IMO the high school football in state is really starting to get good and I think we'll see more D1 talent in the next 5-10 years than ever before. Kids now have 2 D1 schools to strive to play at now as well as NSIC level which is really good D2 football. A little different than the NCC and Dac 10 days. 

Muss had a few, but I agree it wasn't as big of a priority as Bubba is making it. Bubba also isn't backing down from NDSU on them which is nice to see even if we lose a couple. Last year UND signed quite a few and 2016 appears to be a strong year for local kids so I would expect more. IMO the high school football in state is really starting to get good and I think we'll see more D1 talent in the next 5-10 years than ever before. Kids now have 2 D1 schools to strive to play at now as well as NSIC level which is really good D2 football. A little different than the NCC and Dac 10 days.

The early 2000's produced a ton of great players out of ND. If the next few years can produce like that, both schools will be filled with really good local kids.