SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

I don't want to waste him at RB. I'd rather have him at wr or db. There's no sense in beating him up at rb when he could be a game changer at wr or DB with his ball skills.

If he can best help at RB, then that's his spot. It's about the team, not the player. Bubba wants to run the ball, and in order to do that, you need ballcarriers. There's no such thing as "wasting" a player if he can contribute at one position more than another. Right now, UND's depth in the offensive backfield is atrocious. With that said, an FBS transfer or two at tailback could solve that, and I see Smith as more of a safety or WR than a tailback anyways.

I worry a little about Smith as a RB and being able to hold up.  I would question his physical and mental toughness at this point.  If we were in the gun and running zone read all the time, that would be different and would better suit him and his style I think.  Being under center in 21 personnel sets and running power, counter and inside zone is another thing.

I agree though that the coaches will put him where he benefits the team the most.  I'm not sure he has the defensive mindset either, but who friggin knows. 

For some reason I see him as a "jet motion" inside WR type of guy but we will see.

I worry a little about Smith as a RB and being able to hold up. I would question his physical and mental toughness at this point.

You're questioning his physical and mental toughness already??? The young man hasn't even set foot on campus! Take what you will from hudl tapes for the physical side, but mental? Really? I just don't understand that thought process.

• Upvote 1

With Smith, there is potential for him to play at several different positions. This is a good problem to have. I say you play him based on where he has the greatest impact. If he could play a WR/RB hyrbrid that would be pretty cool. I don't know why, but I just see this guy playing offense. I guess we'll see.

With Smith, there is potential for him to play at several different positions. This is a good problem to have. I say you play him based on where he has the greatest impact. If he could play a WR/RB hyrbrid that would be pretty cool. I don't know why, but I just see this guy playing offense. I guess we'll see.

I still say not rb just because I feel that would be a waste of his ball skills.

You're questioning his physical and mental toughness already??? The young man hasn't even set foot on campus! Take what you will from hudl tapes for the physical side, but mental? Really? I just don't understand that thought process.

Sorry, I referring to the "track mentality" as it crosses over to football more than anything (We've seen this in recent past). My wording certainly could have been better.

But you're probably right with your criticism here overall.  Too early to judge a kids toughness or lack thereof before he gets on campus. My apologies.

Sometimes my evals get too nit-picky too early. Guilty.

I hope this kid is a tough friggin stud day 1 and that everyone points and laughs at me.  That would make make me happy.

Sorry, I referring to the "track mentality" as it crosses over to football more than anything (We've seen this in recent past). My wording certainly could have been better.

But you're probably right with your criticism here overall. Too early to judge a kids toughness or lack thereof before he gets on campus. My apologies.

Sometimes my evals get too nit-picky too early. Guilty.

I hope this kid is a tough friggin stud day 1 and that everyone points and laughs at me. That would make make me happy.

Great post.

Track guys (sprinters) typically have the offense mentality more than defense.

There have been a lot of really good track sprinters who can't play football very well.  Just want to keep some perspective here and temper expectations and enthusiasm.

He can run in a straight line without pads.  But, can he play football?  I hope he can.  We shall see.

Norm McGee

I still say not rb just because I feel that would be a waste of his ball skills.

I tend to agree, I think he is better suited at WR, but could maybe run some sweeps here and there. All around athlete, any chance we could see him spend some time at O and D? When is the last time that happened?

I can't think of one of ndsu' receivers who would cut it at running back in the mvfc.

What's your point? Has FU recently had a high school running back who really excelled at WR in college and got a few carries in different formations?

Just saw a tweet for iwarri smith abs been contacted by u of m for track

I assume U of M is Michigan. That's an impressive school to turn away. Not that they were offering a full ride but still nice to be courted by your home state flagship. Good for him.