SiouxSports.com Forum

2015 Recruiting

Hambone

If it was going to happen with Hansen, now isn't a terrible time. Gives time to potentially find a FBS transfer or someone to fill that spot.

Good point. Bring in another FBS transfer that can help out NOW; need that at RB, CB, WR, DL, or even OL. By no means is UND set at most positions. Perhaps even an FBS QB if they could be lucky enough to find one? Still can't believe how lucky UND was in 2012 to get Braden Hanson.

CB Malik Rucker from the Twin Cities is transferring from Iowa. The previous staff offered him, and I wonder if Bubba will go after him. Seems like he would be a great CB addition. Not 100% sure but I think him and Taj Rich might be close.

CB Malik Rucker from the Twin Cities is transferring from Iowa. The previous staff offered him, and I wonder if Bubba will go after him. Seems like he would be a great CB addition. Not 100% sure but I think him and Taj Rich might be close.

I've heard that he's unlikely.  Though I know they are targeting a few CBs that are transferring.

I've heard that he's unlikely. Though I know they are targeting a few CBs that are transferring.

CB is definitely one of those positions of need that could use instant help. We all saw first-hand last season what a good transfer can do for that position (Alex Tillman).

• Upvote 2

Chappell was so much fun to watch when he played. Didnt he have grades issues though? He only played for a year or two right? Wish we could get another back like that.

He would have been the best RB to ever play at UND if he played 4 years.  I dont think there's really any question or debate on that.  Sad.

I assume that was wind-aided but is still a 10.8 once the time is tweaked.  He could play FS or RB.

10.51 100 would put him into Dressler territory. Having said that big difference between track and football speed. Chappell and Dressler had both as well as change of direction stop and go speed. Smith looks like a great pick up and I can't wait to see him play for UND, but i'll wait to see him on the field before saying Dressler, Chappell, or Hardin speed. 

Projected safety, corner, returner, slot receiver, running back? Or all of the above?

Track guys (sprinters) typically have the offense mentality more than defense.

There have been a lot of really good track sprinters who can't play football very well.  Just want to keep some perspective here and temper expectations and enthusiasm.

He can run in a straight line without pads.  But, can he play football?  I hope he can.  We shall see.

Track guys (sprinters) typically have the offense mentality more than defense.

There have been a lot of really good track sprinters who can't play football very well. Just want to keep some perspective here and temper expectations and enthusiasm.

He can run in a straight line without pads. But, can he play football? I hope he can. We shall see.

All very true. It was interesting that Oregon was interested in Smith as a PWO. The Ducks are pretty synonymous with "fast." He must have some pretty decent speed. As far as football IQ, I Don't know.

Chappell was so much fun to watch when he played. Didnt he have grades issues though? He only played for a year or two right? Wish we could get another back like that.

He was in one of my classes. I saw him a couple times early in the semester and then on test days. All I know is that it is tough to make good grades when you are never there.

According to SFI Iwarri Smith has Ryan Chappell level speed, he ran 10.51 in the 100m.

Smith has the potential to be a special player at UND. He's only 17, so in all honestly I hope he redshirts and gets stronger, but that kind of speed is something you can't teach. Whether he plays tailback or safety, he should be a special player on some of Bubba's top teams down the road.

• Upvote 1

Smith has the potential to be a special player at UND. He's only 17, so in all honestly I hope he redshirts and gets stronger, but that kind of speed is something you can't teach. Whether he plays tailback or safety, he should be a special player on some of Bubba's top teams down the road.

I don't want to waste him at RB. I'd rather have him at wr or db. There's no sense in beating him up at rb when he could be a game changer at wr or DB with his ball skills.