SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Elijah Grady was a known commodity.  Its not like anyone was hiding him.

I don't advocate a warm body either, but that's just my point.  There are plenty of good QB prospects out there.  It seems odd to me, if UND had plans to sign one, that an offer-or at least a visit-would have been made by now.  There's not much time left until signing day.  I agree with Hambone, I don't think there will be one.

Maybe locally.... but not by many many others that we recruit against regionally in the BSC, MVW and Northern Sun.

I believe it's in UND's best interest to sign a scholarship QB this class.  We need to learn from our past experiences at this position specifically.

Count me as shocked and disappointed if we don't sign a scholarship QB in this class, regardless of Heidlebaugh's progression or lack thereof at this point.

I just want what's best for the program and gives the team the best chance at being successful moving forward and signing a scholarship QB in this class helps with that in my opinion.

exactly!  They absolutely need a scholarship qb.  He would be a true fresh next year and a fresh when studs is a senior.  A qb needs the time to develop and learn the system as he is very likely the most integral part of the offense and maybe the entire team.  Studsrud goes down und goes 0-3 wentz goes down they go 6-0.  Yes, different circumstances but the point is they didn't miss a beat as where Unds offense was just  a mess.  Quality depth at the qb position is crucial and right now und is looking at a 5th yr senior that has done zero and a freshman that I can only hope is worth 2nd string status.    I do hope heidlebaugh is the answer. That still gives und only 2 potential qbs. 

Nervous

exactly!  They absolutely need a scholarship qb.  He would be a true fresh next year and a fresh when studs is a senior.  A qb needs the time to develop and learn the system as he is very likely the most integral part of the offense and maybe the entire team.  Studsrud goes down und goes 0-3 wentz goes down they go 6-0.  Yes, different circumstances but the point is they didn't miss a beat as where Unds offense was just  a mess.  Quality depth at the qb position is crucial and right now und is looking at a 5th yr senior that has done zero and a freshman that I can only hope is worth 2nd string status.    I do hope heidlebaugh is the answer. That still gives und only 2 potential qbs. 

Nervous

Montana's 3rd string QB looked ok against us too...

Without a talent like him at 3rd string to go to, I dont think the Griz make the playoffs this year.

Nervous

I also think UND needs a QB but its not a good comparison with ndsu.  Stick was recruited to fit their system.  Bartles clearly didn't fit what our offense wanted to do.  Now that the offense has an identity, find a QB who fits it.  What happens if we wait until next year and miss?

Sign a QB, but to make everyone happy....let him know his scholarship is "year to year."

Unless he's really awesome of course. In which he probably wouldn't care anyways...

QB is a critical position that you can't have enough of. 

Edited by Cratter

So you would assume we preferred Merz  would of stayed?  He was a true freshman  this year.  Do we ever pull redshirts off freshman lineman?  He apparently was highly thought of in recruiting.   I wonder what the coaches thought of him after spending a year in the program.

I heard that Justus didn't think college was for him and that his decision wasn't about football. Apparently wants to go home and get a job and start a new chapter in life.

Edit: Sorry Teeder11 - I didn't see that you had posted basically the same thing. At least we are both hearing the same story!

Edited by LkvlleUNDFan
  • Upvote 1

Shep....none whatsoever. Truly enjoyed watching the squad on TV and online the entire season. I am a UND fan for life now. Regardless of how it worked out for my son. He was afforded a chance to receive a quality education and play some ball on the universities dime. That in itself is worth its weight in gold. I will be eternally grateful to Coach Bubba, Rudolph and Knauf for giving him a chance to play at the next level. For whatever reason? It did not work out. No harm. No foul. My son knew what was expected of him in the classroom and on the gridiron. I know he has done well in regards to his education. Apparently it just did not work out on the field. He was well aware of the implications of not competing at the expected high level of the coaching staff. I will look forward to watching the progress of this team in the coming years. IMO? They got railroaded by the playoff selection committee.  I see/expect good things in the future for this team and look forward to watching some of the players and staff that Kevin has spoken so highly of.

GO HAWKS!!!!!

Good to hear. It's too bad that it can't work out for everybody on the field but fortunately this program goes so much deeper than that. Good luck to you guys in the future.

• Upvote 1

Say the nightmare comes to visit: Studsrud down, Bartles down, go to the Rugby Rocket, ... and there's still this guy at tight end ... workable. 

What is worrisome is the year after that: Studsrud, Rugby Rocket, and ... < crickets > ... 

now not that I know much about the rugby kid, or how he is performing, but I really don't think bartels should be the backup. Really not impressed with the kid.

Have heard a few things about not looking for a scholarship QB.  That's not to say they couldn't change their minds, but I've heard PWO type QB is likely it.

EDIT:  And, main reason is what Gundy is saying above.  The Rugby Rifle was really developing during the year.

i have seen Ben Bolinskie's name dropped a lot as a potential PWO QB, but do you know if we are looking at Matt Bye from Moorhead? 6'4 200 runs a 4.6 40 and has a pretty decent arm. He is also a 3 sport stud and really good basketball player similar to Heidelbaugh last year. A lot of room for growth with him with that frame and I think he could convert nicely to TE if QB doesn't work with his height and speed ala Seth Nichols. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2879742/matt-bye

Wouldn't mind seeing a few spuds in this 2016 class.

i have seen Ben Bolinskie's name dropped a lot as a potential PWO QB, but do you know if we are looking at Matt Bye from Moorhead? 6'4 200 runs a 4.6 40 and has a pretty decent arm. He is also a 3 sport stud and really good basketball player similar to Heidelbaugh last year. A lot of room for growth with him with that frame and I think he could convert nicely to TE if QB doesn't work with his height and speed ala Seth Nichols. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2879742/matt-bye

Wouldn't mind seeing a few spuds in this 2016 class.

I believe Bolinskie ends up at UND as a walk-on.  I think he starts out at QB and ultimately ends up playing defense.  I agree that it's probably a good idea to bring in a scholarship QB every year, but why is it so hard for people to believe that a Class B ND kid can be our future QB (after Studsrud)?  Not only does Heidlebaugh have all the physical tools, he understands the game more than most, something Bartels and Mollberg still struggle with.  

2016 - Studsrud, Heidlebaugh, Bartels, Mollberg (TE), walk-on

2017 - Studsrud, Heidlebaugh, true freshman, walk-on

2018 - Heidlebaugh, red-shirt freshman, .....

2019 - Heidlebaugh, sophomore, ......

hahaha...a highlight film?  That does not mean other schools were unaware of him.

Grady was under the radar outside of our region. The FCS, Division II and NAIA schools in ND may have been aware of him but beyond that, it's hard to tell. I've seen ND high school players with less talent and potential get snatched up by low level FBS programs.  Hell, even the eastern fringe BSC schools might have given him a sniff. UND's big Wild card with Grady was that he was a legacy recruit, and that might have staved off NDSU a bit in its recruiting of him as far as in-state competition. But UND didn't need or want the other headaches from competition outside the state. The coaches have said as much that they had tried to keep Grady on the down low -- that is the main point here. 

Edited by Teeder11

Grady was under the radar outside of our region. The FCS, Division II and NAIA schools in ND may have been aware of him but beyond that, it's hard to tell. I've seen ND high school players with less talent and potential get snatched up by low level FBS programs.  Hell, even the eastern fringe BSC schools might have given him a sniff. UND's big Wild card with Grady was that he was a legacy recruit, and that might have staved off NDSU a bit in its recruiting of him as far as in-state competition. But UND didn't need or want the other headaches from competition outside the state. The coaches have said as much that they had tried to keep Grady on the down low -- that is the main point, here. 

I see...I wasn't thinking nationally but the regional competitors.  I think we agree more than we disagree on this.

I believe Bolinskie ends up at UND as a walk-on.  I think he starts out at QB and ultimately ends up playing defense.  I agree that it's probably a good idea to bring in a scholarship QB every year, but why is it so hard for people to believe that a Class B ND kid can be our future QB (after Studsrud)?  Not only does Heidlebaugh have all the physical tools, he understands the game more than most, something Bartels and Mollberg still struggle with.  

2016 - Studsrud, Heidlebaugh, Bartels, Mollberg (TE), walk-on

2017 - Studsrud, Heidlebaugh, true freshman, walk-on

2018 - Heidlebaugh, red-shirt freshman, .....

2019 - Heidlebaugh, sophomore, ......

I have no problem w/ Heidelbaugh being the #2 for '16 & '17 or even the starter-in-waiting for '18 if the staff thinks he is ready.  But, as Sicatoka pointed out above, the problem most people have is the injury situation & depth in '17 & beyond... In 2014, we had to pull Studsrud's shirt & throw him into the fire as a 3rd-string true FR, didn't go so well & sure would've been nice to get that extra year out of him in '18.   This year, a QB injury cost us minimum 1 game, likely 2 & kept UND out of a playoff spot.  With this offense & the QB carrying the ball/taking extra hits, quality depth is so important at the #2 and #3, which scares me in '17... Going forward, UND looks to be a conference championship & playoff contender,& I don't want to see QB injuries/lack of depth derail those plans.

I also remember the Muss years where we were forced to rotate 2 struggling redshirt FR for an entire season because the staff failed to recruit a QB each year & had many guys that didn't pan out ahead of them... I know Bubba & staff won't be going down this road, but still is fresh in the fan's minds.

• Upvote 3