SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Create attention?  There's a whole list of offers out there and recruits making visits by everyone...not exactly cloak and dagger stuff here.

You can put a dread lock wig on and trade your entire draft away for one player in a big public display, or you can do it the way we do it.

Edited by gundy1124

So you would assume we preferred Merz  would of stayed?  He was a true freshman  this year.  Do we ever pull redshirts off freshman lineman?  He apparently was highly thought of in recruiting.   I wonder what the coaches thought of him after spending a year in the program.

in the little I've talked to Justus, sounds like he was a super Oly lifter in HS. Then got hurt in fall camp.

I happened to run into him at a game and he indicated to me that he came in with an injury and didn't know it and it was found early in camp.   I might have misunderstood him too.

that could be as well. There's a chance he misspoke or was playing his cards close during one of the two conversations. Either way, he seemed like a quality person when I spoke with him. Sorry to see him go.

Feel like it would be a mistake. 

I would go with no QB this year over just a warm body to chuck the ball if that's the way things play out, and then double-down and try again next year to go after someone who is the right fit, whatever that means to Bubba and staff, and talent to compete right away if needed.  We can't be giving scholarships/FCOA to just any chump off the street.

Edited by Teeder11

Have heard a few things about not looking for a scholarship QB.  That's not to say they couldn't change their minds, but I've heard PWO type QB is likely it.

EDIT:  And, main reason is what Gundy is saying above.  The Rugby Rifle was really developing during the year.

Edited by Hambone
  • Upvote 2

This is what SFI had to say about recruiting and the quarterback situation:

Top Positions of Need:

1. Quarterback – UND does not lose any QB’s but Ryan Bartels and Joe Mollberg will both be seniors next fall.  We’ve also recently heard a rumor about Mollberg being moved to TE.  There are 4 total QB’s on the roster with Keaton Studsrud (junior, starter) and freshman Brad Heidlebaugh (RS Freshman) being the others.  Even if Mollberg was staying at QB, we believe at LEAST one QB should be brought in, but we’d like to see two.  If the last two season’s QB injury woes aren’t enough indication for how important depth at the position is, then we’re not sure what to say.  We believe they will 100% for sure take a “walk-on” type QB, perhaps someone like Minot QB Ben Bolinske.  But they need a high-end scholarship QB as well in our opinion.

I believe it's in UND's best interest to sign a scholarship QB this class.  We need to learn from our past experiences at this position specifically.

Count me as shocked and disappointed if we don't sign a scholarship QB in this class, regardless of Heidlebaugh's progression or lack thereof at this point.

I just want what's best for the program and gives the team the best chance at being successful moving forward and signing a scholarship QB in this class helps with that in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

I believe it's in UND's best interest to sign a scholarship QB this class.  We need to learn from our past experiences at this position specifically.

Count me as shocked and disappointed if we don't sign a scholarship QB in this class, regardless of Heidlebaugh's progression or lack thereof at this point.

I just want what's best for the program and gives the team the best chance at being successful moving forward and signing a scholarship QB in this class helps with that in my opinion.

Don't disagree and hope my information is wrong or the coaches change their mind.

Edited by Hambone

Elijah Grady was a known commodity.  Its not like anyone was hiding him.

I don't advocate a warm body either, but that's just my point.  There are plenty of good QB prospects out there.  It seems odd to me, if UND had plans to sign one, that an offer-or at least a visit-would have been made by now.  There's not much time left until signing day.  I agree with Hambone, I don't think there will be one.