SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

Isn't it quite common for a recruit to announce on social media that he has made a commitment to a school.  The fact that he never said anything might indicate that it was indeed  a very soft commitment.   Moving past that topic, do we expect anymore commitments from the weekend?

I'm not ripping the kid on this.  However...

My grandpa always told me when I was younger that your word is your bond.  "You look a man in the eyes, shake his hand and give him your word."  He's old-school obviously and I know some on here are as well, which is why I'm surprised by the sentiment that it's no big deal. 

A kid gives a coach a commitment, the coach in turn doesn't offer another kid at the same position because of it.  This causes problems.

This is a societal problem more than anything.  When parents encourage their kids to back out of their word they have given, then I have a serious problem with that (I'll leave the parenting thing at that). On top of that, the whole NCAA recruiting system is inherently flawed.  I wish coaches "way-back-when" specifically wouldn't have gone down this road of recruiting kids who have verbally committed.  But, unfortunately that's the nature of the beast today.

And again, this is not the first time nor the last time it will happen and is not unique to UND, or any kid specifically.  But that also doesn't make it right.

This leaves me torn.  On one hand I wish UND would go after SDSU's verbals because it will never stop and is part of the recruiting world today.  On the other hand, I wish UND's staff would respect the verbal and not talk to other schools commitments.

A person's word should mean more nowadays.  It does and should matter.

I wish the kid the best at SDSU.

I think the fact that you have to clarify that keeping your word is 'old school values' is absolutely disgusting for our society. However, i know its not right to wish ill on the kid. I just hope we squash him every time we play him.

• Upvote 2

if you had a job and another company called and offered you a 50% raise, would you turn it down because you gave your company your word?

I would have went to both interviews then made my decision........it's not like SDSU was some foreign entity that was unknown. 

Figured I would point out a thing or two about "who else offered" before it starts to rear its ugly head again.

2015 First Team All Big Sky:

John Santiago - Zero FCS offers

Sean Meehan - Zero FCS offers

Will Ratelle - Zero FCS offers

2015 Second Team All Big Sky:

Brandon Anderson - Zero FCS offers

Colton Boas - Zero FCS offers

Zach Adler - Zero FCS offers

Mitch Meindel - Zero FCS offers

2015 Third Team All Big Sky:

Brandon Dranka - Zero FCS offers

(Meehan may have been offered late (?) but was not a high target by anybody)

Let's just trust the staff and hope they can develop this year's signees both on and off the field, much like they have done with the above players.  :)

Meehan was offered a scholarship by ndsu.  But your overall point is obvious and still stands.

I still think a commit's word means something, I would hope an 18 year old understands that.  This day and age, who knows.......

I atleast will call it a lack of foresight in not taking both visits first, then giving a commitment.  UND isn't a high pressure school with commitments.

I agree that UND hasn't been a high pressure school.  Would you still go after the SDSU commits?  They also gave their word. It can't be a character flaw for those who change their mind and go elsewhere but not a character flaw for those who change their mind and come here.  I also wonder who confirmed he committed to us?  I believe he did but did the kid confirm it?  I only read about it on a blog.  The info is often assumed cuz of tweets or twitters. Others have made the point: They aren't committed til they are signed.  Others bring up the valid point that if a kid commits then it changes who else we go after and with what kind of an offer.  We can't forget nothing is binding til we have the signature.  

Boeser committed young and their program tanked. Very different than an 18 year old "committing" and then flip flopping a week later. 

Only if you feel "giving your word" or making a commitment is conditional.  I think both guys did what they felt was best for them and it doesn't indicate a character flaw in either kid.  They are young impressionable athletes who feel a lot of pressure to make the decision they feel is best for them. Sometimes things change.  

I agree that UND hasn't been a high pressure school.  Would you still go after the SDSU commits?  They also gave their word. It can't be a character flaw for those who change their mind and go elsewhere but not a character flaw for those who change their mind and come here.  I also wonder who confirmed he committed to us?  I believe he did but did the kid confirm it?  I only read about it on a blog.  The info is often assumed cuz of tweets or twitters. Others have made the point: They aren't committed til they are signed.  Others bring up the valid point that if a kid commits then it changes who else we go after and with what kind of an offer.  We can't forget nothing is binding til we have the signature.  

Once a player commits elsewhere I think we should be hands off.  But, we can't be seen as unwilling to engage another school that 'throws the 1st punch'.  If this was a one time deal and we were aware the kid was really torn between the schools, then no big deal.

It happened so quick I think Schmitty will obviously find another guy.  The way this staff recruits all year long into the summer is impressive.  

I agree with those that feel this doesn't necessarily mean the kid has questionable character.  Most of us by Wednesday this week will have forgotten about him for the most part and we will get somebody else.  However for this kid, this is a HUGE decision for the next 5 years and the rest of his life.  We all still have ties to UND years later....even if we didn't play a sport.......where you go play college football is something you will have for life.  From what I gathered he had kind of wanted to go to SDSU, yes he did verbally commit to us......but then when he did actually get an offer from where he really wanted to go you can't totally judge him on that.  Well you can judge him if you want, but I think it's unfair.  There are a lot of things that go into the decision, many personal things which we no almost none of.    And sounds like he may have gotten more scholarship.    Also if we are going to question his character, we better judge the character of any other player than changes over to us in the future.   Some here are now saying if a kid doesn't produce on the field we should pull their scholarship. That is big time hypocritical that we could pull our commitment to a kid once it's written, but a kid gets bad mouthed if he changes on a verbal well before the signing period.

Given all of that I sure hope we make him regret the decision football wise, and that UND is more successful than SDSU the next 5 years. 

• Upvote 3

Right now, UND's main threat to their commits is Northern Iowa.  Their season just ended and they will start recruiting hard here.  Let's just say they are notorious for being "late recruiters".  Plenty of UND commits will get contacted by UNI coming up here.

South Dakota is another one now that Nielson is there and they have like 5 commits to their entire class.  They will probably offer 3/4 of commits.

Right now, UND's main threat to their commits is Northern Iowa.  Their season just ended and they will start recruiting hard here.  Let's just say they are notorious for being "late recruiters".  Plenty of UND commits will get contacted by UNI coming up here.

South Dakota is another one now that Nielson is there and they have like 5 commits to their entire class.  They will probably offer 3/4 of commits.

Do we know who has accepted a partial?  They would seem the most vulnerable.

I agree with those that feel this doesn't necessarily mean the kid has questionable character.  Most of us by Wednesday this week will have forgotten about him for the most part and we will get somebody else.  However for this kid, this is a HUGE decision for the next 5 years and the rest of his life.  We all still have ties to UND years later....even if we didn't play a sport.......where you go play college football is something you will have for life.  From what I gathered he had kind of wanted to go to SDSU, yes he did verbally commit to us......but then when he did actually get an offer from where he really wanted to go you can't totally judge him on that.  Well you can judge him if you want, but I think it's unfair.  There are a lot of things that go into the decision, many personal things which we no almost none of.    And sounds like he may have gotten more scholarship.    Also if we are going to question his character, we better judge the character of any other player than changes over to us in the future.   Some here are now saying if a kid doesn't produce on the field we should pull their scholarship. That is big time hypocritical that we could pull our commitment to a kid once it's written, but a kid gets bad mouthed if he changes on a verbal well before the signing period.

Given all of that I sure hope we make him regret the decision football wise, and that UND is more successful than SDSU the next 5 years. 

I think you are blending apples and oranges.  We just had an offensive tackle that is no longer on the team.  He and his Dad took it as men in a real world where performance matters.......and when you play college football, performance on the field matters.  The coaches have tough calls to make every day, and the team's performance dictates their careers.  Each player decision takes on a world of it's own.  Next time you want the coaching staff to keep all players throughout their careers regardless of performance go out and hire someone to work for you on a 4-5 year commitment and tell them it's guaranteed, or is that not reality.  If you want to prepare these young men for the future, then let's be real about it.

• Upvote 3