SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

I believe Bolinskie ends up at UND as a walk-on.  I think he starts out at QB and ultimately ends up playing defense.  I agree that it's probably a good idea to bring in a scholarship QB every year, but why is it so hard for people to believe that a Class B ND kid can be our future QB (after Studsrud)?  Not only does Heidlebaugh have all the physical tools, he understands the game more than most, something Bartels and Mollberg still struggle with.  

2016 - Studsrud, Heidlebaugh, Bartels, Mollberg (TE), walk-on

2017 - Studsrud, Heidlebaugh, true freshman, walk-on

2018 - Heidlebaugh, red-shirt freshman, .....

2019 - Heidlebaugh, sophomore, ......

OK, I understand your 2016.

In 2017, what happens to your walk-on from 2016? They won't be a "true freshman". Or are you saying the walk-on stays the walk-on and a true, incoming freshman is #3. (I just cringed.) 

Hartford probably wanted to go to SDSU all along  but they hadn't offered till this point in time and now with the offer from SDSU he  is gone.  That's fine.  His heart wasn't here.  Getting good linebackers at UND never seems to be a [problem.  We will be just fine.  I don't think he was at the top of our recruiting list.

Hartford probably wanted to go to SDSU all along  but they hadn't offered till this point in time and now with the offer from SDSU he  is gone.  That's fine.  His heart wasn't here.  Getting good linebackers at UND never seems to be a [problem.  We will be just fine.  I don't think he was at the top of our recruiting list.

If they offered and he accepted i hope he would have been a good get...but we move on without him.

Heard we only offered a partial and they offered a full scholly. Heard our coaches had cooled on him anyway. Heard we only offered him to help him get an offer from someone else. Waiting on list of additional excuses from a friend at the school to the south, will update later. 

Seriously though, this kid committed and de-committed within 10 days. We'll get by without him. 

• Upvote 1

IIRC, his recruiting was interesting at least the official announcements were.

One day he's offered by UND, two days later he accepts, a couple days after he's offered by SDSU and within a week he accepts.

I assume there's a discussion pre offer as to a "What if SDSU makes an offer?" Right? All these recruiters must know who the competition is, right?

Whenever a player backs out of a commitment, whether it is to come to UND or go someplace else, I don't like recruits that do that.  It doesn't mean he is a bad character person because there could be valid reasons, but it still  doesn't sit right with me.  Maybe there is more to story and  it will come out. 

I agree, but we should be going after some SDSU commits, if nothing else just to make the Jacks aware and keep them thinking about going up against a full stipend school.  Let's take the gloves off.  

And......make them pay full price for their guys.

Exactly... We have faired pretty well against both SDSU & USD on the recruiting trail this year anyways. (Holm,  Helgren, Cloyd)

I agree, but we should be going after some SDSU commits, if nothing else just to make the Jacks aware and keep them thinking about going up against a full stipend school.  Let's take the gloves off.  

And......make them pay full price for their guys.

Good point. Coaches should give each and everyone of SDSU's verbals a phone call. FCOA scholarships would be quite enticing, I would imagine. 

"we only want guys that really want to be here"?  Maybe the kid wanted a school that "really wanted him to play for them".  You know nothing of the kids character or personality.  I think he wanted to come here after his visit but he changed his mind with a better offer.  Maybe he needed the extra money, who knows? We have one of the best freshman hockey players in the country who changed his mind. Do you question his character?   These are high school kids.  Maybe we should just wish them luck and hope we didn't offer more was because we have someone better.  Some of you guys seem to take these things as a personal affront.  That is a bit much.

Boeser committed young and their program tanked. Very different than an 18 year old "committing" and then flip flopping a week later. 

"we only want guys that really want to be here"?  Maybe the kid wanted a school that "really wanted him to play for them".  You know nothing of the kids character or personality.  I think he wanted to come here after his visit but he changed his mind with a better offer.  Maybe he needed the extra money, who knows? We have one of the best freshman hockey players in the country who changed his mind. Do you question his character?   These are high school kids.  Maybe we should just wish them luck and hope we didn't offer more was because we have someone better.  Some of you guys seem to take these things as a personal affront.  That is a bit much.

I still think a commit's word means something, I would hope an 18 year old understands that.  This day and age, who knows.......

I atleast will call it a lack of foresight in not taking both visits first, then giving a commitment.  UND isn't a high pressure school with commitments.

I still think a commit's word means something, I would hope an 18 year old understands that.  This day and age, who knows.......

I atleast will call it a lack of foresight in not taking both visits first, then giving a commitment.  UND isn't a high pressure school with commitments.

I don't assume this is all about a commit's word.  Not all parents take a hands off approach.

• Upvote 1

Hartford has flipped to SDSU it appears.

Hartford said he was extremely excited to say  he had committed to SDSU.    What  words de he use when he committed to UND a week ago.     I wonder what he will say when he commits to another school next week?    

Hartford said he was extremely excited to say  he had committed to SDSU.    What  words de he use when he committed to UND a week ago.     I wonder what he will say when he commits to another school next week?    

I'm guessing he was a soft commit as he never announced his commitment to UND on social media as far as I remember (don't have access at work).  

On a different note, I'm in the camp that doesn't understand the hate for kids that switch their commitment.  While I believe that a kid shouldn't commit unless they are fairly certain they will honor that commitment, it is a huge decision they are making and if they do change their minds I don't fault them for that.

• Upvote 2

I'm guessing he was a soft commit as he never announced his commitment to UND on social media as far as I remember (don't have access at work).  

On a different note, I'm in the camp that doesn't understand the hate for kids that switch their commitment.  While I believe that a kid shouldn't commit unless they are fairly certain they will honor that commitment, it is a huge decision they are making and if they do change their minds I don't fault them for that.

I did glance at his Twitter account yesterday. He mentioned the offer from UND but I didn't see a commitment tweet to UND. 

I was just poking  a little fun at how some athletes don't seem to  value  the word commitment as seriously as some people think they should.  The kid probably had a vey valid reason for switching his commitment.  Maybe the word commitment isn't the right word that should be used to say you are going to be attending a certain school and joining  their athletic program..    Any ideas our there on what would be a more appropriate word?