SiouxSports.com Forum

2016 UND Recruiting

UND Fan

20 minutes ago, jjensen said:

Kevin Maurice  

Boom! Another Hawk landed in the nest! Welcome to the family! #Denver #BubbaBlitz

Update! A Ball-Hawk landed in the nest! Welcome to the family!  #Esko #Minnesota #DayByDay #BallHawk

Jaxson 

Is Turner projected as a Safety, being Maurice is referring to him as a "Ball Hawk"?

Sounds like it to me...

32 minutes ago, Westside said:

Is Turner projected as a Safety, being Maurice is referring to him as a "Ball Hawk"?

Sounds like it to me...

5 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Looks like a free safety.  6'5", wow!!  He's not that far off from being ready to play.

Miller is saying they are both projected at LB. I agree one or both may be better suited for safety though. 

15 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Miller is saying they are both projected at LB. I agree one or both may be better suited for safety though. 

I think that Haas would be a really good outside linebacker. With his size, tenacity and coverage ability. Jaxon might be a wait and see in training camp what is his best position. 

56 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I guess Geier might have some flexibility coming in, could be a safety.  Ryan and Canady, both are listed at safety for commits. I think an incoming freshman safety has a chance to play, here is why.

Reyes - stud, but has been knicked up a bit

Arnel - would of been a big year I think last year if his leg wasn't pointing in different directions after a cheap shot.  Is still an unknown, especially after the injury.  Could be #2 safety, but hard to rely on that right now.

Palmborg- played over Flowers, and didn't play too bad considering he was on scout team most of the year.  He could be key as #2 or 3 safety and maybe nickel.......

Flowers- time to step up and play.......need some sign of life from this guy

Tucker- haven't heard anything, good or bad.  If he was really impressive we would have heard some chatter.

Johnson- moved to OLB

So, we have a stud, one unknown in Arnel, Palmborg who was kind of a surprise, and a couple TBDs but not lighting the world on fire, Flowers and Tucker.  We seriously need a freshman to be a player next year!!  Maybe a juco......

Holm could be a possible safety too, more than Chinn.

Anyone else concerned about safety??

52 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I guess Geier might have some flexibility coming in, could be a safety.  Ryan and Canady, both are listed at safety for commits. I think an incoming freshman safety has a chance to play, here is why.

Arnel - would of been a big year I think last year if his leg wasn't pointing in different directions after a cheap shot.  Is still an unknown, especially after the injury.  Could be #2 safety, but hard to rely on that right now.

Palmborg- played over Flowers, and didn't play too bad considering he was on scout team most of the year.  He could be key as #2 or 3 safety and maybe nickel.......

Tucker- haven't heard anything, good or bad.  If he was really impressive we would have heard some chatter.

Johnson- moved to OLB

So, we have a stud, one unknown in Arnel, Palmborg who was kind of a surprise, and a couple TBDs but not lighting the world on fire, Flowers and Tucker.  We seriously need a freshman to be a player next year!!  Maybe a juco......

I'm not overly concerned with safety. We should have a solid two deep if Arnell is 100% which he should be.

10 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Yes, plenty of reason for concern... A healthy Reyes & Arnell is a nice tandem, but there is/was a large dropoff in talent & play on the field when they both were out with injuries. D just wasn't the same without Reyes.  Palmborg showed some promise & would be nice to land a transfer or have a freshman step up.  Canady looks impressive & has nice size. Still need to build up the depth at both S & CB positions.

I really hope that Haas has the ability to play safety.  My own personal feeling is that he could be Kelly Howe-like with his size and athleticism.  Although it's really nice to have some position flexibility with him.

Jaxson Turner kind of reminds me of Jake Disterhaupt, so he hopefully he can have the same kind of production as an OLB. 

Isaac Leppke - great athlete that I thought had the potential to come in as either a partial scholarship or PWO.  Has a track offer from Iowa, and an offer from the University of San Diego for football.  I'm guessing he could still be a potential if they do decide to give a scholarship to a QB or if Bolinske from Minot isn't going to be a PWO candidate.  It does appear that he is very interested in UND.

11 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Johnson- moved to OLB

As we learned last year with the running back position, just bringing in athletes can sometimes offer out the best solution. I think with the staff bringing in all of these defensive athletes that project at outside linebacker or defensive back, the safety position will work itself out. More athletes the better as far as safety goes in my opinion. 

So we're now at 16 verbal commits.  SFI and others on this site have guesstimated 20-22 scholarship recruits this year.  So far we have the following:

RB – 1 (Secrest)
WR – 1 (Toivonen)
TE – 2 (Pinke, Cloyd)
OL – 3 (Mortel, Helgren, Tobin)
OLB – 3 (Geier, Turner, Haas)
CB – 2 (Holm, Chinn)
Safety – 2 (Canady, Ryan)
ILB – 2 (Hunt, Murray - JUCO)

So with 4-6 scholarships left, where do you guys see those getting used?  In order of need, I'd say 1 QB, 1 OL, 1 Safety, 1 DL (nose), 1 ILB, 1 CB.  The talk of not bringing in a scholarship QB makes NO sense to me.  With injuries and defections always a potential issue, I wouldn't mind seeing 1 scholarship (at least a partial) QB brought in every year.  Not all of them are going to prove themselves capable after a couple years in the program, but HS QBs are typically some of the best athletes on their teams, which means they can likely be moved to another position of need if things don't pan out.

Also, bring in 1 walk-on QB, 1+ OL, 1+ DL, 1+ LB, and 1 WR.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

His hudl video looks really good.  Loves to hit!! If he can pan out at safety, wow,  6'5" and aggressive doesn't come around to often. 

I definitely see him at outside linebacker. His size will help at the line of scrimmage batting down passes but he also shows the ability to cover, which is required for outside backers in this defense. 

A couple updates to our Wiki offers.  Rashon Davis verballed to EMU and Paddy Devlin verballed to SDSU.

Also, I think my main concern with this class is the lack of DL.  I think we need another big boy in the middle, and probably one DE that we can develop.

EDIT:  Oh, and Matt Thompson decided he wanted to be close to home and went with D2 University of Indianapolis. 

11 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

His hudl video looks really good.  Loves to hit!! If he can pan out at safety, wow,  6'5" and aggressive doesn't come around to often. 

Its hard to tell how quickly he moves until you see his clips as a TE.  Pretty quick for 6'5" kid.