SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Petrino will make 393 k plus bonuses, making him the highest paid FCS coach.  Thought the Big Sky move was all about saving money for Idaho.  Apparently not.  Klieman will make 300 k plus  bonuses, so the trolls and McFeely should chip in to make him the highest paid again.

idaho must know something that the cass county trolls don't know..

if hadju wasn't such a hockey only sid i would be really excited about his tease but these could the "huge times for und (hockey)"...

1. schmaltz is staying

2. the ralph gets new boards and high def on ice screen thingy

3. brad berry is signing a lifetime contract

4. tim hennessey is new tv face of und hockey...

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if hadju wasn't such a hockey only sid i would be really excited about his tease but these could the "huge times for und (hockey)"...

1. schmaltz is staying

Brock didn't get locked into a bathroom....

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

1. schmaltz is staying

You forgot a FSN TV deal and some NCHC stuff.

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

So he is worth being the highest paid "FCS" coach?

30 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Ask Auburn, they did it once :p

It was a serious question. I guess since only one other situation was named (Auburn) going back 8 years, the market is not large. That makes sense since $393K ranks about 117th place on the FBS coaches list.

51 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Re Hajdu tweet, my guess is:  

1. New logo

2. New boards 

3. Schmaltz decision

4. Jones 1 year extension

5. He's looking for volunteers to help with the lawn at Hak's lake home. 

I will go with:

1.  Locker Room, Weight Room and Training Room upgrades at The Ralph (it must have been a couple of years since the last upgrade)

2.  FB season tickets go on sale July 1st and prices have been lowered to $50/seat

3.  FB has hired a new recruiting coordinator to focus just on transfers

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 6/14/2016 at 11:24 AM, homer said:

I don't 100% agree with SV but please explain how a conference that is smaller in total schools with those schools being more aligned in academic focus and athletic focus is disastrous?   I'd argue that a 13 team conference or a conference made up of mostly directional schools is more dangerous to an athletic department.   

I agree with you that a smaller conference with 8 like minded schools will be better than the current BSC of 13 or 14 schools. However, going to an 8 team conference with the schools mentioned would be fine in FCS but a disaster in FBS. You will be in a conference with a majority of schools that do not have the resources or commitment to be competitive at the FBS level, The 2 schools that have been FBS basically say they don't want to move down because they will lose their guarantee game money that keeps their programs afloat. The schools moving from FCS to FBS will see their expenses go up but revenues stay flat. Not exactly a recipe for success. 

2 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I agree with you that a smaller conference with 8 like minded schools will be better than the current BSC of 13 or 14 schools. However, going to an 8 team conference with the schools mentioned would be fine in FCS but a disaster in FBS. You will be in a conference with a majority of schools that do not have the resources or commitment to be competitive at the FBS level, The 2 schools that have been FBS basically say they don't want to move down because they will lose their guarantee game money that keeps their programs afloat. The schools moving from FCS to FBS will see their expenses go up but revenues stay flat. Not exactly a recipe for success. 

pretty much opposite of what the NMSU study showed...but fargo u people know everything

33 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

Aside from the new logo and potential conference affiliation, how about Phase II of the High Performance Center?  

Fundraising is still ongoing and I believe once they get closer they will need reapproval from the SBoHE. 

14 hours ago, cberkas said:

You forgot a FSN TV deal and some NCHC stuff.

Agree that an FSN TV deal would be an overwhelmingly positive development.  But a move to FBS would make it even more positive financially.

While the Schmaltz decision is big, UND doesn't control it and he has only one more year max anyway.  When Schmaltz makes a final decision, UND will issue a press release.

Signing Hennessey could be part of an FSN deal.  Barry signing longer term is a possibility.  Jones signing an extension I hope not.

New boards at the Ralph won't make a difference to recruits or fans but probably needed.  There is a toilet in the Ralph that should be replaced too.  Guess therections will be a press release on that too.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

And somehow La-Monroe, Troy, and Ga St have stayed FBS on shoestring budgets.  Coastal Carolina cant get their new stadium approved by the SC board.  The new WAC will be an academic powerhouse in comparison.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Agree that an FSN TV deal would be an overwhelmingly positive development.  But a move to FBS would make it even more positive financially.

While the Schmaltz decision is big, UND doesn't control it and he has only one more year max anyway.  When Schmaltz makes a final decision, UND will issue a press release.

Signing Hennessey could be part of an FSN deal.  Barry signing longer term is a possibility.  Jones signing an extension I hope not.

New boards at the Ralph won't make a difference to recruits or fans but probably needed.  There is a toilet in the Ralph that should be replaced too.  Guess therections will be a press release on that too.

An actual FSN deal isn't happening and Learfield has a big say in that now anyway, which is why Hennessy signed a contract with them. 

I think everyone is reading to much into the tweet. 

1 hour ago, jdub27 said:

An actual FSN deal isn't happening and Learfield has a big say in that now anyway, which is why Hennessy signed a contract with them. 

I think everyone is reading to much into the tweet. 

It's summer. That's we're supposed to do. ;)

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Can you please explain how moving to FBS will be such a huge financial boon to UND?

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

Can you please explain how moving to FBS will be such a huge financial boon to UND?

Financial boon is probably strong given that only maybe the top 10 or so FBS schools are profitable. 

Personally, I'd just hope for "bleeding far less" because quite honestly, that's all the rest can hope for. 

9 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Financial boon is probably strong given that only maybe the top 10 or so FBS schools are profitable. 

Personally, I'd just hope for "bleeding far less" because quite honestly, that's all the rest can hope for. 

OK, then how will moving to FBS improve the finances at all? 

7 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

don't know the answer to that but ask old dominion, ga southern, ga state, coastal Carolina, texas state, nmsu, appy state, unc-charlotte, ut-san Antonio, and other dozen or so schools looking waiting for an fbs invite....

5 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

don't know the answer to that but ask old dominion, ga southern, ga state, coastal Carolina, texas state, nmsu, appy state, unc-charlotte, ut-san Antonio, and other dozen or so schools looking waiting for an fbs invite....

They are waiting for an invite to an actual established FBS conference, not an invite to an FBS wannabee conference.of a group of FCS schools and a failed FBS drop down school.

14 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

The best answer I can give is to look at the decision process used by NMSU. They put their numbers out there for viewing. Do I completely agree with their numbers? No. But they can back them up and made a decision from them.

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

They are waiting for an invite to an actual established FBS conference, not an invite to an FBS wannabee conference.of a group of FCS schools and a failed FBS drop down school.

All those schools are fbs.  Shows how little you know.

Why doesn't the MAC schools move down to fcs, like the mvc did 40 years ago?  Used to be the  mvc was so superior to the mac.  Before the mvc dropped to fcs, it's good schools like Tulsa, Memphis, Cincy and Louisville left, and Wichita St dropped football instead of playing fcs and NMSU left the mvc entirely.   

The MAC teams get a couple million from P5 games, get a mill from the CFP, and get 800 k from their ESPN contract.  But they still pay millions more to get their athletic budget in tack because FBS is worth so much more in free advertising than FCS.  The MAC will pass the mvc even in basketball soon because all the mvc has now in terms of bball is UNI and Wichita, and Wichita St is probably gone by 2020 and the mvc will be dirt.  The mac has superceded it because of fbs.

FBS schools in the low G5 leagues lose less money at football than FCS do.  Any FCS school has to look seriously at FBS if they want a national profile.  If the fcs profile is satisfied with a Fargo and a Green Acres profile, fcs is the way to go.  UND and NDSU should be at a higher or equal level to Ball St, Bowling Green, Miami, Akron, C Mich, E Mich, Troy, Akron, Apps St, Ga Southern, Coastal, La Monroe, Ark St, San Jose St, Nevada, Wyoming etc.  Only history prevented that.  UND used to play many of those fbs schools in DII days like San Diego St, Old Dominion, Ark St, Troy, La Tech etc, but they moved to DI much earlier when upgrading to FBS was easier.  When the next CFP contract is signed, a G5 league could get even more, if eight teams are in the playofffs.

This has been discussed here so much but remedial classes are always necessary for bizon  trolls.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:36 PM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

1. schmaltz is staying

Seriously, we might want to cut Hadju some slack, he and his wife just had a second child, I am pretty sure that he might be a little busy with life right now.

• Upvote 1