SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

19 minutes ago, southpaw said:

They all went to new conferences. A WAC Big Sky would be the same teams that aren't drawing much interest from UND fans. 

The home schedule would be damn nearly the exact same as it is now. Add a home game against a MAC or lower MWC school every few years and that's it. 

disagree...instead of four possible home games against southern Utah, Idaho state, northern Colorado, and eastern Washington und might get Missouri state, Idaho, new mexico state, and Wichita state....

I do think SV's larger north / south WAC fbs is a little too large...an eight team WAC fbs league consisting of

North Dakota

South Dakota

Idaho

Montana

Montana State

New Mexico State

Wichita State

Missouri State

would work because

1. to the casual fan FBS is the best (just like und hockey the top tier)...they would go to the alerus just to go because its fbs

2.  no down games (no suu, unc, nau, ewu, or wsu)

3.  maybe a tv contract where some games might get national tv

4.  home games versus ohio, Miami (oh), wyoming > drake, Robert morris, or valpo

12 hours ago, darell1976 said:

If NDSU announced they were going to the Sun Belt we could say the same thing about you too. FBS is meaningless to those outside the P5 to the rest of the country except those fanbases in the conference. You bring up the NCC did fans get excited to see Augustana or Monrningside? How about when Central Washington joined? You always have unattractive teams in a conference just ask your fanbase about the alphabet schools of the Summit League.

I didnt bring up the NCC but I understand what youre saying. I also dont wish to join the Sunblech. But then again Im not a big proponate of an FBS move just to say we are FBS. The move has to be good for the school and its fans. Plus we have to be able to afford it.

On another note we were talking about your move to the non-existant WAC and playing the same teams you do now..  The Sun blech wasnt in the conversation and is an entirely different scenario..

3 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I do think SV's larger north / south WAC fbs is a little too large...an eight team WAC fbs league consisting of

North Dakota

South Dakota

Idaho

Montana

Montana State

New Mexico State

Wichita State

Missouri State

would work because

1. to the casual fan FBS is the best (just like und hockey the top tier)...they would go to the alerus just to go because its fbs

2.  no down games (no suu, unc, nau, ewu, or wsu)

3.  maybe a tv contract where some games might get national tv

4.  home games versus ohio, Miami (oh), wyoming > drake, Robert morris, or valpo

Missouri State is a desirable game?

Why is South Dakota included in this magic conference?

18 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Missouri State is a desirable game?

Why is South Dakota included in this magic conference?

didn't say it was desireable (especially after what happeneded when we played down there last time) but it is different...imo the wac fbs takes two of the four Dakota schools (with und having one spot ) so it its either usd, sdsu, or the ndac...seems the ag  schools are holding out for a mvc invite and I'm thinking of usd has a shot to go big they will go...with or without sdsu.

13 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

didn't say it was desireable (especially after what happeneded when we played down there last time) but it is different...imo the wac fbs takes two of the four Dakota schools (with und having one spot ) so it its either usd, sdsu, or the ndac...seems the ag  schools are holding out for a mvc invite and I'm thinking of usd has a shot to go big they will go...with or without sdsu.

The same USD that left the Big Sky at the altar?

UND would need major changes to facilities for FBS to work.  When the REA opened, attendance tripled and has stayed up when so many thought that it was just temporary.  But a move to FBS will have a profound impact on recruits, as normally they want the highest offer.

Wichita St will need a few years to get an FBS team on the ground - probably two years at FCS - so a new WAC will need more than eight football teams.

Idaho's stipulation that Montana, Montana St, and UND would have to be part of the Big Sky or they wouldn't be a part of it seems even more key now.  UMKC moving to the WAC makes more sense if the WAC returns to FBS and the plains even though UMKC doesn't have football plans.  UMKC would probably host conference basketball tournaments.

9 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

disagree...instead of four possible home games against southern Utah, Idaho state, northern Colorado, and eastern Washington und might get Missouri state, Idaho, new mexico state, and Wichita state....

Nothing screams big time like home games against the four teams you mention. Such rich football history. Certainly each game will draw 10,000. 

10 hours ago, southpaw said:

Nothing screams big time like home games against the four teams you mention. Such rich football history. Certainly each game will draw 10,000. 

Well - I mean it's not like UND is gonna get into a conference with some big name teams either. I think the "biggest" conference that UND would even have a remote chance of landing in would be the MWC - which just isnt gonna happen anyways. That leaves the Sun Belt, or "the new WAC."  So I find it interesting that you all are arguing about how small time these programs are and which is better, but honnestly we need to remember we're not the biggest fish either.

I would think the best FBS conference for us would include the 4 Dakota's, MSU and UM, UNI and Illinois State. But I don't think that's a likely outcome. This also wouldn't be a bad FCS conference. 

1 hour ago, NoDakFan said:

Well - I mean it's not like UND is gonna get into a conference with some big name teams either. I think the "biggest" conference that UND would even have a remote chance of landing in would be the MWC - which just isnt gonna happen anyways. That leaves the Sun Belt, or "the new WAC."  So I find it interesting that you all are arguing about how small time these programs are and which is better, but honnestly we need to remember we're not the biggest fish either.

I would think the best FBS conference for us would include the 4 Dakota's, MSU and UM, UNI and Illinois State. But I don't think that's a likely outcome. This also wouldn't be a bad FCS conference. 

To the bolded part... I completely agree.  So is moving FBS just to be FBS worth it?

Say what you want about the possibility of UND jumping up to FBS.  But I do find it pretty ironic that Bison fans who like to point out that UND laughed at them for  moving up to D1 saying that they couldn't compete, wouldn't find a conference, that it would cost too much money for travel, et, etc, are making the same comments towards UND for talking about moving up now!!  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

UND would beat the Gophers in a Bowl game within five years.

I used to think winning an obscure bowl in the middle of nowhereville was crap but after seeing how screwed over bubba was and how watered down the fcs playoffs are ill take a bowl game against minny in el paso in December any day....

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

I used to think winning an obscure bowl in the middle of nowhereville was crap but after seeing how screwed over bubba was and how watered down the fcs playoffs are ill take a bowl game against minny in el paso in December any day....

Not me....I want a FCS championship.

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

After the Bowl win vs Minnesota....all Prius's would need to be parked in garages.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

The best you can hope for is a Dec game in Boise or Detroit against Arkansas State. Now that is attractive...

The UTRGV blue ribbon committee for football, led by Mack Brown formerly of the Longhorns and Oliver Luck of the NCAA, is having its second meeting on July 13, and a consultant group will be there.  Since UTRGV already is in the WAC, it may get an option to go FBS at the same time as Wichita St.  UTRGV serves a population of 1.3 milion in the four adjoining counties, so it's got that and a Longhorn football loving community.  Thought UTRGV (which combined UT-PA and UT-Brownsville last year) would only consider FCS, but FBS could be in their plans, especially with Brown and Luck aboard..  With over 30k students and growing fast, a student fee could go a long way to making FBS a reality.  Many big commuter type schools like UTSA, FAU, FIU, MTSU etc haven't had much difficulty raising funds for FBS, because there are so many students contributing fees.

If a WAC gets going again, it would almost certainly get the Boise Potato Bowl (WAC rather than MAC vs MWC).  It could also get new bowls at the Vikings Stadium (WAC vs MAC or Big 10), Seattle (WAC vs MWC or PAC12), and maybe one of the bowls in Texas or Frisco could start an FBS one.

9 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

The UTRGV blue ribbon committee for football, led by Mack Brown formerly of the Longhorns and Oliver Luck of the NCAA, is having its second meeting on July 13, and a consultant group will be there.  Since UTRGV already is in the WAC, it may get an option to go FBS at the same time as Wichita St.  UTRGV serves a population of 1.3 milion in the four adjoining counties, so it's got that and a Longhorn football loving community.  Thought UTRGV (which combined UT-PA and UT-Brownsville last year) would only consider FCS, but FBS could be in their plans, especially with Brown and Luck aboard..  With over 30k students and growing fast, a student fee could go a long way to making FBS a reality.  Many big commuter type schools like UTSA, FAU, FIU, MTSU etc haven't had much difficulty raising funds for FBS, because there are so many students contributing fees.

If a WAC gets going again, it would almost certainly get the Boise Potato Bowl (WAC rather than MAC vs MWC).  It could also get new bowls at the Vikings Stadium (WAC vs MAC or Big 10), Seattle (WAC vs MWC or PAC12), and maybe one of the bowls in Texas or Frisco could start an FBS one.

So UND could be in potentially 2 Potato Bowls?  Does that mean 2 french fry feeds?!!:D

• Upvote 2

Big 12 Commish Bob Bowlsby was quoted in the Des Moines Register that an NCAA split is likely coming.  Possibly a school would have to be FBS plus a few higher basketball conferences like the Big East, A10, WCC, and MVC.  Approximately half the DI school would get demoted.

That is the biggest reason that UND should move up.