SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

32 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

NCAA regionalized playoffs maybe? Anyone paying attention knew the NSIC winner would've finished maybe fourth in the NCC. Why pay to watch that hot mess? 

To support the team?

6 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Been addressed to death.  Why did NDSU have a 3/4 full Fargodome for their first home playoff game in 20 years?

If I remember correctly was it Thanksgiving weekend and the students were long gone. For the regular fans they had less than a weeks notice to make plans. 

But since weve played in so many playoff games since then Its hard to remember that far back.:)

1 minute ago, bison73 said:

If I remember correctly was it Thanksgiving weekend and the students were long gone. For the regular fans they had less than a weeks notice to make plans. 

But since weve played in so many playoff games since then Its hard to remember that far back.:)

#buttthanksgiving

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, bison73 said:

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Right back at you ... 

Glass houses. 

Sorry I don't understand your snappy reply. You seem to be implying that fans should only attend games that they feel will be competitive.

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

It's hard to fill a dome with 200k+ metro area full of Bison fans playing in their #1 sport while in a city half the size of Fargo they had no problem filling their arena to capacity in their #1 sport. Like Sic said it happens everywhere.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

It's hard to fill a dome with 200k+ metro area full of Bison fans playing in their #1 sport while in a city half the size of Fargo they had no problem filling their arena to capacity in their #1 sport. Like Sic said it happens everywhere.

When did you have a playoff game in GF over Thanksgiving? 

But Sic is correct. The thing is it hasnt happened since then.

5 hours ago, southpaw said:

What did the Jubliee year have to say about Iceland being down 5-1 to France?  Does that bode well for UND in FBS?

Guess there are only whales left in the Euro, hah?  Oh yeah, there is a Wales that is an actual minnow still.

Iceland making it that far in the Eurosame would be analogous to a Grand Forks high school all star basketball team beating a New York City one.

Cleveland won the NBA title not because the players were of great humility, but Cleveland as a city has been a button of jokes for 60 years.

France could well win the Euro, but the attacks against it by Isis have greatly humbled it.

On 7/2/2016 at 3:53 PM, bison73 said:

Hes used the--"I was right about the Bakken and you all laughed at me" numerous times when hes been called out on being wrong. But it fits in with the majority of his non-sencical babble.

Was told by an author of many spiritual books that I shouldn't talk about spiritual things before people that don't have a basic spiritual understanding.  I violated that rule here.  "Don't cast your pearls before swine," especially sausage eating trolls..

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Was told by an author of many spiritual books that I shouldn't talk about spiritual things before people that don't have a basic spiritual understanding.  I violated that rule here.  "Don't cast your pearls before swine," especially sausage eating trolls..

You need to adjust your tinfoil hat. Your reception is askew.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Been addressed to death.  Why did NDSU have a 3/4 full Fargodome for their first home playoff game in 20 years?

Nobody is talking about playoff attendance. The point is UND playing a BSC schedule is no more attractive to fans than the old NCC teams, which would lead most to beleive going into an FBS WAC/BSC with the same teams is not going to increase interest. I would be willing to bet UND FB ticket revenue was higher in 2003, the last year the old NCC was intact, than this past year.

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why are fans of the five-time defending FCS champions so worried about the 13 years ago gate revenue of a non-rival, non-conference team? 

Say SV is right and the new FBS WAC happens: Shouldn't NDSU fans be hoping UND self-immolates in what NDSU fans say would be a bad conference. 

It's not just NDSU fans who think the BSC as the WAC wouldn't draw any more fans. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Why are fans of the five-time defending FCS champions so worried about the 13 years ago gate revenue of a non-rival, non-conference team? 

Say SV is right and the new FBS WAC happens: Shouldn't NDSU fans be hoping UND self-immolates in what NDSU fans say would be a bad conference. 

If you go to the WAC I wish you well. Just because they slap the FBS label on you doesnt mean it makes anyone better or you are going to get anymore fans to your games. You willstill be playing the same schools but you will have to come up with a whole bunch of money for the privilege. I dont see the upside to that move.

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Guess there are only whales left in the Euro, hah?  Oh yeah, there is a Wales that is an actual minnow still.

Iceland making it that far in the Eurosame would be analogous to a Grand Forks high school all star basketball team beating a New York City one.

Cleveland won the NBA title not because the players were of great humility, but Cleveland as a city has been a button of jokes for 60 years.

France could well win the Euro, but the attacks against it by Isis have greatly humbled it.

A.) Wales beat Northern Ireland(very very small minnow) and Belgium(lots of talent but not very accomplished).  

B.) Cleveland won because they play in a league with a salary cap and they have a local boy who wanted to win one for them.

C.) If France wins... Don't think Isis has anything to do with it.

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

If you go to the WAC I wish you well. Just because they slap the FBS label on you doesnt mean it makes anyone better or you are going to get anymore fans to your games. You willstill be playing the same schools but you will have to come up with a whole bunch of money for the privilege. I dont see the upside to that move.

If NDSU announced they were going to the Sun Belt we could say the same thing about you too. FBS is meaningless to those outside the P5 to the rest of the country except those fanbases in the conference. You bring up the NCC did fans get excited to see Augustana or Monrningside? How about when Central Washington joined? You always have unattractive teams in a conference just ask your fanbase about the alphabet schools of the Summit League.

10 hours ago, southpaw said:

It's not just NDSU fans who think the BSC as the WAC wouldn't draw any more fans. 

And they will need you to pay a lot more than $15/ticket. SV has said in past posts how this move will magically vault UND ahead of NDSU. He has said after the move Larsen will be begging Faison to come to Grand Forks to play a game. It is not going to turn out that way. In fact, I could see posters here calling for Faison's head after he agrees to the first 3 for 1 contract with 3 homes games being at the FCS school against an FBS school. The only team UND can schedule with a WAC BSC FBS schedule that they can guarantee a sellout at a premium price is NDSU. NDSU's games sell out in hours if not minutes against anybody. I know UND fans think that will change soon, but don't count on it. Hold out for a MWC bid, or at least a MAC or established FBS conf, or wait a few years for the shakeup in CFB. Anything would be better for UND FB than this proposed conference.

11 hours ago, bison73 said:

Georgia State, Georgia Southern,  Appy State, Old Dominion, UNC-Charlotte, Texas State, UT-San Antonio, Coastal Carolina, and NMSU might disagree...

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Georgia State, Georgia Southern,  Appy State, Old Dominion, UNC-Charlotte, Texas State, UT-San Antonio, Coastal Carolina, and NMSU might disagree...

They all went to new conferences. A WAC Big Sky would be the same teams that aren't drawing much interest from UND fans. 

The home schedule would be damn nearly the exact same as it is now. Add a home game against a MAC or lower MWC school every few years and that's it.