SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

18 minutes ago, The Hawk said:

Not to hurt a fellow f'hawker feelings, but you are the most humorless poster I've ever read on any fan board. Sorry. 

I've been accused of being many things in life, but "humorless" is not one of them. If I was humorless I'd remove every poster that gives me even a remote whiff of "poseur odor" from this site. Instead, they survive to self-immolate (which always makes me laugh and smile).. 

And because you seem to have completely missed the reference ... 

11 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've been accused of being many things in life, but "humorless" is not one of them. If I was humorless I'd remove every poster that gives me even a remote whiff of "poseur odor" from this site. Instead, they survive to self-immolate (which always makes me laugh and smile).. 

And because you seem to have completely missed the reference ... 

Yawn. 

9 hours ago, southpaw said:

A school can't just go D1 a couple months before their football season starts.  There are years of paperwork to be done with the NCAA in order to make the move.  The first deadline was June 1st in order to move up in 2018.

So let see about Coastal Carolina.

Joined the Sun Belt on September 1st, 2015.

Will play as an FCS independent in fall of 2016, but will otherwise play a Sun Belt schedule.

Will be a transitional FBS school in fall of 2017.

After a second transitional season in 2018, there are eligible for a bowl after that season.

Coastal has a smaller stadium, a much smaller endowment, and a smaller enrollmentioned the UND, but they can still go FBS.  Their stadium will be expanded to 15k  (original plans of 24k which was vetoed by the state.).

The Big Sky move would for all its teams that want FBS will be just a year behind.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

So let see about Coastal Carolina.

Joined the Sun Belt on September 1st, 2015.

Will play as an FCS independent in fall of 2016, but will otherwise play a Sun Belt schedule.

Will be a transitional FBS school in fall of 2017.

After a second transitional season in 2018, there are eligible for a bowl after that season.

Coastal has a smaller stadium, a much smaller endowment, and a smaller enrollmentioned the UND, but they can still go FBS.  Their stadium will be expanded to 15k  (original plans of 24k which was vetoed by the state.).

The Big Sky move would for all its teams that want FBS will be just a year behind.

And their average attendance was 8818 last year. 

(500 more than UND)

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2015.pdf

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

7 home games including a playoff game, vs 5 home games for UND. 

Wasn't about Coastal having 500 more... Was about going FBS with less than 9000 per game average.

"Average" attendance would not rely on # of games. "Total" attendance would be easier to inflate with two more games. ;)

4 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Wasn't about Coastal having 500 more... Was about going FBS with less than 9000 per game average.

"Average" attendance would not rely on # of games. "Total" attendance would be easier to inflate with two more games. ;)

9000 is way above most of the MAC teams. Also shows if CC can go with less than 9000 so could UND. If we had 7 games including a playoff game we would've averaged over 9000.

26 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

9000 is way above most of the MAC teams. Also shows if CC can go with less than 9000 so could UND. If we had 7 games including a playoff game we would've averaged over 9000.

Only 2 teams in the MAC averaged less than 11K. CC only had 6700 for their playoff game. Students aren't always around for first round games.

Using the link zonadub so kindly provided ...

FBS schools under 16000* (average) in 2015: 

• Ball State**
  • Central Michigan**
  • Eastern Michigan (4897!)**
  • Florida International + 
  • Georgia State***
  • Idaho
  • Kent State**
  • Louisiana - Monroe***
  • Massachusetts** 
  • Miami of Ohio**
  • North Texas + 
  • Northern Illinois**
  • San Jose State

That is 13 (>10%) of 127 under 16000. 

*Yeah, the FBS number is 15000, but if you're that close you're worth noting. 
**MAC schools
***Sun Belt schools
+ C-USA

11 minutes ago, 3Putt said:

Only 2 teams in the MAC averaged less than 11K. CC only had 6700 for their playoff game. Students aren't always around for first round games.

The MAC had 7 members that had averages less than NDSU (19k). So attendance is a moot point when it comes to teams moving up that don't have huge stadium attendances like NDSU or Montana.

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

The MAC had 7 members that had averages less than NDSU (19k). So attendance is a moot point when it comes to teams moving up that don't have huge stadium attendances like NDSU or Montana.

I know I should drop this but there are 9 schools in the MAC whose average attendance was less than NDSU's 18,497. Sic's list was those schools averaging less that 16K. In any case, I'm not sure why NDSU's attendance is relevant.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 3Putt said:

I know I should drop this but there are 9 schools in the MAC whose average attendance was less than NDSU's 18,497. Sic's list was those schools averaging less that 16K. In any case, I'm not sure why NDSU's attendance is relevant.

Some people think to move up you need a huge attendance base like NDSU or Montana (kissing 20k) when practically a whole conference barely reaches 19k in a 15k requirement and a capacity of 30-40k.  If you have the money and a conference invite (or special circumstances like the WAC) you can move up no matter your attendance in the FCS.

Kansas.Com just published an article that Wichita State is waiting on conference meetings to wrap up before they issue their FBS study.  The MVC had its meeting last week, so it obviously wasn't them.  G5 conference do not normally want a brand new program, so the WAC / Big Sky moveups must be it.

2 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kansas.Com just published an article that Wichita State is waiting on conference meetings to wrap up before they issue their FBS study.  The MVC had its meeting last week, so it obviously wasn't them.  G5 conference do not normally want a brand new program, so the WAC / Big Sky moveups must be it.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article81936837.html

On 6/3/2016 at 2:27 PM, darell1976 said:

So if UND had another home game and a first-round playoff game(usually poorly attended across the board) at home, their avg attendance would have went up?  Dont follow that logic.

1 hour ago, JohnboyND7 said:

So if UND had another home game and a first-round playoff game(usually poorly attended across the board) at home, their avg attendance would have went up?  Dont follow that logic.

An extra home game and a playoff game with last years run would have netted a higher attendance. 

8 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

An extra home game and a playoff game with last years run would have netted a higher attendance. 

a higher attendance...sure...but now you need to divide that total by an additional two.  40,000 or whatever/5 = 8,000.  56,000/7=8,000.