SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

I love how head to head no longer matters. I highly doubt that Kentucky/Louisville or Auburn/Alabama or other instate rival fans feel the same...unless you are the team losing. Yup FU mens BB had a great season I could almost root for them if it wasnt for their trolls

are you trying to say that UND had a better season than NDSU had because of head-to-head?

are you trying to say that UND had a better season than NDSU had because of head-to-head?

No one is saying this. NDSU won their conference. They won their conference tournament. They won an NCAA tournament game. They are a better team. Sure UND beat them, but if you are looking at who has had more success since then, it's obvious.

Gene's got a dream, and he'll probably make it happen. Seems everything he touches is turning to gold. Maybe his real name is "Genie," and Saul and Craig started rubbing his lamp about 5 years ago for "the sports that really matter," as they say down south.

Interesting. Discuss.

http://www.cbssports...-a-big-decision

If I were a school considering a move to FBS, I'd take a long, hard look at what UMass has experienced. And that's a school with a long history of basketball success (and the money that goes with it).

I love how head to head no longer matters. I highly doubt that Kentucky/Louisville or Auburn/Alabama or other instate rival fans feel the same...unless you are the team losing. Yup FU mens BB had a great season I could almost root for them if it wasnt for their trolls

Do you suppose Duke fans are happy they beat UNC and don't care they lost yesterday? Get a clue.

Gene's got a dream, and he'll probably make it happen. Seems everything he touches is turning to gold. Maybe his real name is "Genie," and Saul and Craig started rubbing his lamp about 5 years ago for "the sports that really matter," as they say down south.

Interesting. Discuss.

http://www.cbssports...-a-big-decision

I think at this point anyone who tries to justify the amount of money we spend on hockey for the very little amount of exposure it generates needs to have their head examined. NDSU is getting more publicity for just one tourney victory than all of our hockey championships combined. The recipe is simple.... football first, MBB second, everything else third. It's the tried and true way of having a successful athletic department. There is little be to be gained by wasting resources on niche sports. We need to stop thinking that we're somehow smarter than everyone else before we're completely left behind.

• Upvote 2

It matters some, but its not like were in the same conference. That's the way UND wanted it, so that what you got. UND seeking to be in the same conference as the other 3 dakota teams would seem to be a little to logical for the brass at UND. Your not, so, NDSU competes with UND in the same way NDSU competes with Montana . . . from a distance. That's your choice, and just the way it is. I don't think it warrents much discussion.

I think at this point anyone who tries to justify the amount of money we spend on hockey for the very little amount of exposure it generates needs to have their head examined. NDSU is getting more publicity for just one tourney victory than all of our hockey championships combined. The recipe is simple.... football first, MBB second, everything else third. It's the tried and true way of having a successful athletic department. There is little be to be gained by wasting resources on niche sports. We need to stop thinking that we're somehow smarter than everyone else before we're completely left behind.

As if now who do you think all the little kids in ND are idolizing and dreaming about playing for basketball or football for, UND or NDSU?

Just think what it will be like if the Bison win today?

As if now who do you think all the little kids in ND are idolizing and dreaming about playing for basketball or football for, UND or NDSU?

Just think what it will be like if the Bison win today?

Exactly, this university gets closer and closer to statewide irrelevancy each year.

Exactly, this university gets closer and closer to statewide irrelevancy each year.

Preposterous Statement Nominee

I seriously don't get how some people can keep cheering for UND. Every sport sucks. Every coach sucks. Grand Forks sucks. Used to be fun to visit this site.

• Upvote 1

Preposterous Statement Nominee

I seriously don't get how some people can keep cheering for UND. Every sport sucks. Every coach sucks. Grand Forks sucks. Used to be fun to visit this site.

So you are only interested in a discussion forum if it is devoted exclusively to Ducky and Bunny content about how everything is fine the way it is and you are a "bad fan" if you criticize anyone or anything? To each their own, but I am not interested in that nonsense. When our transition sucked the way it did, when the FB program hits rock bottom and needs rebuilding, when the MH team struggles for the second straight year, when the Ag School takes advantage of all this and steals the media spotlight in North Dakota (and the nation, for that matter), you will have frustrated people on here venting their displeasure. I would rather have that than people becoming apathetic and complacent. A passionate fan base is much better.

• Upvote 1

So you are only interested in a discussion forum if it is devoted exclusively to Ducky and Bunny content about how everything is fine the way it is and you are a "bad fan" if you criticize anyone or anything? To each their own, but I am not interested in that nonsense. When our transition sucked the way it did, when the FB program hits rock bottom and needs rebuilding, when the MH team struggles for the second straight year, when the Ag School takes advantage of all this and steals the media spotlight in North Dakota (and the nation, for that matter), you will have frustrated people on here venting their displeasure. I would rather have that than people becoming apathetic and complacent. A passionate fan base is much better.

^^^^ this!!!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Idaho's entrance / exit agreement with the Sun Belt:

http://freepdfhosting.com/0dfe5b6e2f.pdf

Do you also have the link for page 3 from the Subbelt where it says they are also going to invite the rest of the BSC schools to the SBC through 2018. Then after 2018, the SBC will miraculously spin the BSC teams back to the Big Sky where that conference will be declared a full fledged FBS entity and live happily ever after? I missed that part. This link seems to include ID only.

Do you also have the link for page 3 from the Subbelt where it says they are also going to invite the rest of the BSC schools to the SBC through 2018. Then after 2018, the SBC will miraculously spin the BSC teams back to the Big Sky where that conference will be declared a full fledged FBS entity and live happily ever after? I missed that part. This link seems to include ID only.

DUDE! if you think this is all bull$%!# why the HELL are you SO WORRIED about it? GO AWAY! see what happens....get the f*ck off our board because I thought "su" fans had "MOVED ON" - guess not :lol: :lol: :crazy::D:xmas:

I doubt that anyone in the MAC or Sun make any money in FB. Those bowl games usually don't pay much and most conferences that rules that the money is split up between all members.

You lose less money in FBS than FCS despite more scholarships. The new college football playoff scheme guarantees $1.5 million per MAC team that we didn't have before. In addition the MAC is in the final stretch of renegotiating our ESPN TV deal and is expected to receive annual $1 million per team.

There will be no FBS breakup at least for the next 12 years as we just all signed a binding contract with ESPN and guaranteed revenues and access bowl bids for the durantion of the contract.

The new contract guaranteed the highest rated team of the MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, CUSA, Mountain West get an auto-bid to the Fiesta, Cotton, or Atlanta Bowl vs a Big 5 conference team in the Top 10. The payout for that bowl is large.

When Northern Illinois made the Orange Bowl, the MAC split like $12 million from it.

You lose less money in FBS than FCS despite more scholarships. The new college football playoff scheme guarantees $1.5 million per MAC team that we didn't have before. In addition the MAC is in the final stretch of renegotiating our ESPN TV deal and is expected to receive annual $1 million per team.

There will be no FBS breakup at least for the next 12 years as we just all signed a binding contract with ESPN and guaranteed revenues and access bowl bids for the durantion of the contract.

The new contract guaranteed the highest rated team of the MAC, Sun Belt, AAC, CUSA, Mountain West get an auto-bid to the Fiesta, Cotton, or Atlanta Bowl vs a Big 5 conference team in the Top 10. The payout for that bowl is large.

When Northern Illinois made the Orange Bowl, the MAC split like $12 million from it.

Again it takes a minimum of 4-5 million to jump to FBS per year - I doubt what you have posted makes that up. But keep trying.

Again it takes a minimum of 4-5 million to jump to FBS per year - I doubt what you have posted makes that up. But keep trying.

LOL, I couldn't care less about UND football, was just adding to the discussion and stating some facts. Montana's AD along with App St, GA Southern, etc have all said FBS is less of a money loser than FCS. It will get worse now that the conferences like the Big Ten have said they will no longer play FCS schools and give them a pay day. MAC gets $1 million per game when we play Big Ten road games. Miami spends between $7-$8 million on football. There will be no FBS split in next 12 years.

There are several proposals floating out there for the FBS and Big East basketball conferences (11 total) to split from the rest of D1.

LOL, I couldn't care less about UND football, was just adding to the discussion and stating some facts. Montana's AD along with App St, GA Southern, etc have all said FBS is less of a money loser than FCS. It will get worse now that the conferences like the Big Ten have said they will no longer play FCS schools and give them a pay day. MAC gets $1 million per game when we play Big Ten road games. Miami spends between $7-$8 million on football. There will be no FBS split in next 12 years.

There are several proposals floating out there for the FBS and Big East basketball conferences (11 total) to split from the rest of D1.

So take Miami for example, they get 1 mil from ESPN, 76,923 bucks for big 10 road game (1 mil minus 13 teams) So this year (2014) Miami will get 1,076,923 bucks for playing at Michigan and having games on ESPN....sounds like a sweet deal BUT how much did they have to shell out to bring FCS Eastern Kentucky in, there goes some of that extra pot money. I bet the MAC would like to stop expansion altogether as that 1 mil is getting spread out throughout so many teams.

So take Miami for example, they get 1 mil from ESPN, 76,923 bucks for big 10 road game (1 mil minus 13 teams) So this year (2014) Miami will get 1,076,923 bucks for playing at Michigan and having games on ESPN....sounds like a sweet deal BUT how much did they have to shell out to bring FCS Eastern Kentucky in, there goes some of that extra pot money. I bet the MAC would like to stop expansion altogether as that 1 mil is getting spread out throughout so many teams.

Why are you splitting the $1mil for the big 10 road game? That would all go to the team playing the game.

Why are you splitting the $1mil for the big 10 road game? That would all go to the team playing the game.

He said the MAC gets a million per big 10 road game, wouldn't that million be split per MAC team? 2014 there are 10 MAC @ Big 10 games so 10 mil is split between 13 teams as per what he said unless he meant the 1 mil/game is given to each MAC team playing.

MAC gets $1 million per game when we play Big Ten road games.