SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

What part of what he said about NDSU not being a guarantee game for MSU was wrong? They dropped NDSU to get a HOME GAME and A GUARANTEE GAME. Worth every penny to pay the buyout.

They already got their guarantee game from NDSU under the contract, or is that too difficult to comprehend?!

So in your theory, NDSU gets both a home game every other year and a guarantee for the years it is played in Grand Forks? Quite the imagination you have there...

Hey, why not (although there was a /purple there)?! We will help you fill your "Dome" and you can help us with our FBS needs. Not really that far off from what you guys have been asking us to do for several years-->help you out regardless that the past problems were caused by you. Seems fair to me . . .

How soon can we expect this FBS move btw? I need to let Gene Taylor know so he can get the scheduling going!!

They already got their guarantee game from NDSU under the contract, or is that too difficult to comprehend?!

They got a game at home and the contract then required them to play in Fargo or pay a buyout. They chose to pay the buyout. You of all people should understand how contracts work. Please feel to explain how they didn't fulfill the contract though.

Hey, why not (although there was a /purple there)?! We will help you fill your "Dome" and you can help us with our FBS needs. Not really that far off from what you guys have been asking us to do for several years-->help you out regardless that the past problems were caused by you. Seems fair to me . . .

You mean that one time home/home contract that GT said was all he would accept and Faison relented sent him last year? Yep, pretty much the same thing I guess.

They got a game at home and the contract then required them to play in Fargo or pay a buyout. They chose to pay the buyout. You of all people should understand how contracts work. Please feel to explain how they didn't fulfill the contract though.

Stay on point, rather than attempting to muddy the waters. MSU bailed on NDSU not to give them a guarantee game (which they already received--GET IT??--under its contract with NDSU) but because they didn't want an early-season ass-kicking on their record.

You mean that one time home/home contract that GT said was all he would accept and Faison relented sent him last year? Yep, pretty much the same thing I guess.

Boy are you delusional if you think that is how things have gone down!!

Are you actually that braindead, or do you just not have any reading compreshension skills (or perhaps you didn't bother to read anything on the first bolded subject and are just throwing sh*t at the wall with hopes that it sticks?)? MSU was to have come to Fargo last Fall on a 1-1 return trip. We went there several years ago, and Fargo was their end of the bargain. So, what you are posting is complete BS, but I'm sure that won't stop you from posting it, and other complete inaccuracies a multitude of additional times.

As for the second bolded subject, just what is it the UND is doing "well" in football?! Laughable really!!!

Also, I can't wait for this UND FBS move, because it will allow for at least a couple of things both NDSU and UND have been wanting. For UND, NDSU would be more than happy to give UND its desired annual game, switching between Fargo and Grand Spoons. For NDSU, it will provide our annual FBS game, along with basically a guarenteed FBS win on our record (and I am sure a substantial payout). It's a perfect world!! /purple

HAHAHAHAHA. You are so funny!! I see what you did. You changed the "forks" part of our city name to another utinsil, Spoons!! You are so clever!! If you would have just insulted our fanbase and town by calling us morons or something, it would have at least been a respectable rip on us. But instead you showed you ignorance in probably the lamest dis I have ever heard!! I bet your mom thinks you're funny though!!

Why are you mixing together the terms "home and home" and "guarantee"? They are two completely different things when it comes to college football scheduling.

Stay on point, rather than attempting to muddy the waters. MSU bailed on NDSU not to give them a guarantee game (which they already received--GET IT??--under its contract with NDSU) but because they didn't want an early-season ass-kicking on their record.

Boy are you delusional if you think that is how things have gone down!!

I think you're confused. A guarantee game is one where there is a one time game that the traveling team gets a set amount of money for playing. This is not the same as a home/home contract where one team travels to another team with the assumption they will play a return game and if it they don't, there is a buyout clause where the team that traveled for the first game is compensated an amount that is agreed to by both parties when the original contract is signed. NDSU/MSU had the second one. MSU exercised and paid the buyout clause because it was substantially better for them financially. You can argue the record thing all you want, but ignoring the monetary difference is ignorant. The benefit recordwise was a loss vs. SMU and a win against a D2 instead of a what was a likely loss against NDSU, though would have been fun to see since they would have been healthy at the time.

HAHAHAHAHA. You are so funny!! I see what you did. You changed the "forks" part of our city name to another utinsil, Spoons!! You are so clever!! If you would have just insulted our fanbase and town by calling us morons or something, it would have at least been a respectable rip on us. But instead you showed you ignorance in probably the lamest dis I have ever heard!! I bet your mom thinks you're funny though!!

OK, you and your fans (for the most part) are morons and completely delusional. I mean to even be having a serious conversation about moving up to FBS when you have not done sh*t in either the FCS or DII (with the exception of one Natty that came down to a play that included several missed tackles and missed illegal blocks)!! It is mind-blowing really, but quite entertaining!!

In reality, the only real reason you guys hope and dream this would happen is so that you could say you are "FBS" and NDSU "is just FCS", because you know you can't otherwise keep up in the field of play.

Why are you mixing together the terms "home and home" and "guarantee"? They are two completely different things when it comes to college football scheduling.

I think you're confused. A guarantee game is one where there is a one time game that the traveling team gets a set amount of money for playing. This is not the same as a home/home contract where one team travels to another team with the assumption they will play a return game and if it they don't, there is a buyout clause where the team that traveled for the first game is compensated an amount that is agreed to by both parties when the original contract is signed. NDSU/MSU had the second one. MSU exercised and paid the buyout clause because it was substantially better for them financially. You can argue the record thing all you want, but ignoring the monetary difference is ignorant. The benefit recordwise was a loss vs. SMU and a win against a D2 instead of a what was a likely loss against NDSU, though would have been fun to see since they would have been healthy at the time.

OK, in the sense that the two are you are describing things, I guess I am a bit mixed-up/confused.

Still a !@#!$! thing to do on MSU's part, as I am sure they had a "guarantee" game the year we played and beat them out there while we were still DII.

OK, in the sense that the two are you are describing things, I guess I am a bit mixed-up/confused.

Still a !@#!$! thing to do on MSU's part, as I am sure they had a "guarantee" game the year we played and beat them out there while we were still DII.

It happens to everyone. You guys are the only one's that take it personal and whine for the next 12 months about it. UND had Central Arkansas buy them out after traveling down there in 2009. Idaho State bought UND out after traveling there in 2008. Oh well, take the money and get another game.

• Upvote 1

It happens to everyone. You guys are the only one's that take it personal and whine for the next 12 months about it. UND had Central Arkansas buy them out after traveling down there in 2009. Idaho State bought UND out after traveling there in 2008. Oh well, take the money and get another game.

The timing of it was what was BS more than the fact that it happened.

Taylor in his infinite wisdom should have put a time limit on MSU's buyout. Of course bison fans would never ever blame Taylor for not doing his job. Just attack us and anyone that doesn't have your agenda. The last six posts prove your dufusness.
  • Upvote 1

Timing was bad. Shady way to conduct business and I'm sure that athletic directors talk... MSU could run into trouble down the road finding a decent home and home.

Taylor in his infinite wisdom should have put a time limit on MSU's buyout. Of course bison fans would never ever blame Taylor for not doing his job. Just attack us and anyone that doesn't have your agenda. The last six posts prove your dufusness.

At least not ALL of my posts prove it ... if you get what I am saying.

Easy for UND to say, as you weren't and never will be defending, back-to-back National Champions. Know what I mean?!

At least not ALL of my posts prove it ... if you get what I am saying.

Kind of like when you said UND would never go DI and, if they did, UND would never get in the Big Sky.

I got all kinds of grief from Bisonville on that, and you were one of the lead cheerleaders. I was right in the end, as always.

The response from Bisonville will be an historic meltdown of the interwebs when UND goes FBS and NDSU is left behind. I can practically hear the wailing and nashing of bison teeth!!!

Kind of like when you said UND would never go DI and, if they did, UND would never get in the Big Sky.

I got all kinds of grief from Bisonville on that, and you were one of the lead cheerleaders. I was right in the end, as always.

The response from Bisonville will be an historic meltdown of the interwebs when UND goes FBS and NDSU is left behind. I can practically hear the wailing and nashing of bison teeth!!!

So when are you going to show us these documents you received? Or provide a link that says you would be violating laws?

So when are you going to show us these documents you received? Or provide a link that says you would be violating laws?

I'm not going to provide anything, as you NDSU fans would start a letter writing campaign to the NCAA to stop the Big Sky. Best you stay your normal clueless.

Let me get this straight Bison fans are still whining about a contract that was signed in 2004 on a Sioux Sports message board. A contract that included a buyout of $10K for a home and home series. You cannot make it up - this is all on Taylor quit whining - you keep telling us you have moved on - do use a favor and please do it - BUTMOVEONALREADY!

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to provide anything, as you NDSU fans would start a letter writing campaign to the NCAA to stop the Big Sky. Best you stay your normal clueless.

If it wasn't such a waste of time....i'd email the state of Idaho....actually....break starts tomorrow. Shouldn't be too difficult to get ahold of them...within 3 days as the website says.

I am normally really into all the conference realignment topics, and for years I have always enjoyed reading SiouxVolley's posts on the subject as he obviously does his homework, and he nailed it many years ago about UND getting into the Big Sky, obviously.

But personally, my gut tells me that this whole theory about the Big Sky moving en masse to the FBS is pretty far-fetched. That's just my opinion and it is probably a result of my preference. I have always wanted to be a part of this league ever since the DI debates gained steam in the early 2000's. This is where I want my alma mater to be because I think it is a good fit.

By far the most insightful piece of information divulged in this thread is the fact that Idaho's membership in the Big Sky apparently hinges on North Dakota being a part of it. That's awesome if you ask me.

First, you've got Montana threatening to go to the WAC a few years back unless North Dakota is added. Now you've got another great University in Idaho saying they will join as long as they have an easy out in the case that we ever leave.

Respect. :)

By far the most insightful piece of information divulged in this thread is the fact that Idaho's membership in the Big Sky apparently hinges on North Dakota being a part of it. That's awesome if you ask me.

First, you've got Montana threatening to go to the WAC a few years back unless North Dakota is added. Now you've got another great University in Idaho saying they will join as long as they have an easy out in the case that we ever leave.

Respect. :)

The Interim AD after Roger Thomas (forget his name) used to talk about how if UND went DI, it should go all the way to FBS. Gene Roebuck used to say the same. They also said the west - either the Big Sky or WAC - was where we needed to be. UND has had talks with the Montana's and Idaho going back a generation about what a future conference would look like. UND has been on the same page as the Montana's for that long. It just took some unusual circumstances for the other Big Sky (and even WAC) teams to get there. UND has a cash cow (hockey), facilities, track record of patience, and academics that make it someone you can rely on. UND's patience is in contrast with Smokin Joe. The oil boom just ensures that UND will have the ability to financially compete and be around for those schools to partner with. North Dakota isn't a poor backward state any more but a wealthy place like Connecticut, but it takes time for that to sink in to residents who are survived by resorting to 30's thinking. The delay in going DI had more strategic reasons than commonly realized, but UND is finally poised to leap forward.

• Upvote 2

Big Sky in 2010 = Low Bar. After NDSU, SDSU and USD got into their preferred leagues, UND was the only dakota left for the Big Sky to take. And the Big Sky in 2010 was taking anyone and everyone. USD had the choice on the table, Big Sky or Summit/Valley. They had both in hand, and it wasn't a hard choice for them. Why is that? If you think that any one of the 4 dakota schools couldn't have signed on with the Big Sky in 2010, you are an idiot.