SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

Montana will have 15 sports this year with the adding of Woman's Softball, but Montana State has only 14 sports. So what sports are they going to add if the Big Sky goes to FBS?

MSU actually has 15 sports. Both the Montana schools could add men's golf and they would be at 16 sports. With Idaho rejoining the Sky, Men's Golf will be a sponsored sport again, so it wouldn't be a shock to see them add the sport.

MSU actually has 15 sports. Both the Montana schools could add men's golf and they would be at 16 sports. With Idaho rejoining the Sky, Men's Golf will be a sponsored sport again, so it wouldn't be a shock to see them add the sport.

Would they be Title IX compliant by just adding a men's sport? I have no idea what other sports they sponsor.

I do go to MSU, Men's sports are Football, Basketball, Cross Country, Skiing, Tennis, and Track & Field. Woman's sports Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Skiing, Tennis, Track & Field, and Volleyball.

I do go to MSU, Men's sports are Football, Basketball, Cross Country, Skiing, Tennis, and Track & Field. Woman's sports Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Skiing, Tennis, Track & Field, and Volleyball.

Hell you were broke last year when you backed out of the NDSU game. Don't post that money is no problem.

Would they be Title IX compliant by just adding a men's sport? I have no idea what other sports they sponsor.

With the addition of Idaho next, Golf should be the next sport for the Big Sky. The leagues total would be 16 -

Women: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track & Field (Indoor and Outdoor) and Volleyball

Mens: Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Football, Tennis, Track & Field (Indoor and Outdoor)

UND has 21 - those above and Hockey (M/W) and Swimming (M/W) and Baseball

Hell you were broke last year when you backed out of the NDSU game. Don't post that money is no problem.

MSU backed out of the NDSU game because it wasn't a guarantee game, so MSU scheduled SMU where they could make big bucks. MSU added on to their stadium so they could be FBS and follow Montana if Montana ever went FBS. Its not a matter of if but of when. NDSU will be waiting by the phone for the MAC to call ... in 20 years.

Montana State is the most hated team at Bisonville after UND. Congrats to our rival the Bobkitties for that esteemed accomplishment. When you are hated by bisonville, you doing something good!

Didn't the Bison move up when they weren't very good.

Actually, they won many National Championships at their previous level. UND has a below 500 record at their current level and hasn't come close to making the playoffs . Just a bit of a difference.

MSU backed out of the NDSU game because it wasn't a guarantee game, so MSU scheduled SMU where they could make big bucks. MSU added on to their stadium so they could be FBS and follow Montana if Montana ever went FBS. Its not a matter of if but of when. NDSU will be waiting by the phone for the MAC to call ... in 20 years.

Montana State is the most hated team at Bisonville after UND. Congrats to our rival the Bobkitties for that esteemed accomplishment. When you are hated by bisonville, you doing something good!

You still have answered my post of how any team in the BSC that moves to FBS can make up the cost of going to FBS - 4 million plus?

You still have answered my post of how any team in the BSC that moves to FBS can make up the cost of going to FBS - 4 million plus?

The biggest cost of going FBS is the stadium that would have to be expanded to get a conference invite- tens of millions or more. Some Big Sky schools wouldn't have that.

Going from 63 to 85 scholarships + Title IX = ~ 44 schollies = $1.0 mill / yr (not all would need that, some would need more)

Going FCS to FBS $0.5 mill in more coaching salaries and support if its kept on a budget

200 k - fee for Sun Belt affiliate for two years

$4 mill possible for some schools, especially if a name coach was hired or if sports had to be added

Benefits

FBS playoff stipend = $1.0 mill / team ($1.2 mill reduced by 5/6 by having 6 conferences rather than 5 that aren't power conferences)

Bowl dividend - $100 K / team (bowls in Seattle, Minneapolis to be created, take over MAC's position in Idaho Potato Bowl) (assumes no NIU gets in the Orange Bowl )

ESPN ~ $100 K / team (about what the MAC gets)

Local TV deals ~ $ 200 k / team increase

FBS Guarantees $ 0.5 - 1.0 mill increase

Increased sponsors / advertisers: $200 k

Increased tickets sold / prices: $200 k

Travel won't increase for Big Sky teams but would for JMU and Mo St

Vastly increased publicity over FCS

How much of that projected $4 million has to do with increasing not only scholarships but adding additional sports to be at the FBS minimum? Some schools are already at that threshold and others only need to add 1. Makes a significant difference for those that would have to add 2 or 3 sports.

How much of that projected $4 million has to do with increasing not only scholarships but adding additional sports to be at the FBS minimum? Some schools are already at that threshold and others only need to add 1. Makes a significant difference for those that would have to add 2 or 3 sports.

I believe that both UNI and UM after there studies indicated that it would take a least 4 million.

The biggest cost of going FBS is the stadium that would have to be expanded to get a conference invite- tens of millions or more. Some Big Sky schools wouldn't have that.

Going from 63 to 85 scholarships + Title IX = ~ 44 schollies = $1.0 mill / yr (not all would need that, some would need more)

Going FCS to FBS $0.5 mill in more coaching salaries and support if its kept on a budget

200 k - fee for Sun Belt affiliate for two years

$4 mill possible for some schools, especially if a name coach was hired or if sports had to be added

Benefits

FBS playoff stipend = $1.0 mill / team ($1.2 mill reduced by 5/6 by having 6 conferences rather than 5 that aren't power conferences)

Bowl dividend - $100 K / team (bowls in Seattle, Minneapolis to be created, take over MAC's position in Idaho Potato Bowl)

ESPN ~ $100 K / team (about what the MAC gets)

Local TV deals ~ $ 200 k / team increase

FBS Guarantees $ 0.5 - 1.0 mill increase

Increased sponsors / advertisers: $200 k

Increased tickets sold / prices: $200 k

Travel won't increase for Big Sky teams but would for JMU and Mo St

Vastly increased publicity over FCS

Yeah the powers to be in FBS are jumping for joy in adding new FBS schools so they'll have to divide the split more ways. I think your numbers are wishful thinking. Most teams in bowl games lose money - ask MN.

I believe that both UNI and UM after there studies indicated that it would take a least 4 million.

UMontana is adding softball and improving their locker rooms and practice facility before they move to FBS. Those expenses don't count now and probably didn't belong as FBS expenses.

Phase 2 has been announced, they just haven't finished raising money for it. Phase 2 includes coaches offices, student lounge, and weight room among other things. Phase 2 has nothing to do with Memorial. A renovation of Memorial would have to be a 3rd phase.

Moreover, it is extremely unlikely that a stadium expansion would be approved at the Alerus Center in time for the move-up in the next 2 or 3 years. Such an idea would have to go through the Alerus commission and then the city council. I doubt there is the political will at the city-level to approve a very costly stadium expansion in the near-term, particularly when UND has been at about 50% capacity the last couple years. At a minimum, the city would require UND to sign a lease amendment increasing rent and probably adding several more years to the back-end of the lease. Even then, I don't think an expansion could get done that quickly.

Thus, as far as I can tell, there are no expansion plans at Memorial Stadium or the Alerus Center in the near future. The way I see it, short of a Engelstad-like donation, I don't see UND jumping to FBS anytime soon.

Yeah the powers to be in FBS are jumping for joy in adding new FBS schools so they'll have to divide the split more ways. I think your numbers are wishful thinking. Most teams in bowl games lose money - ask MN.

The Big Ten share bowl revenue equally after individual team costs are deducted. I hardly think Minnesota spent $3 mill on Alamo Bowl expenses. The MAC doesn't make money on the Idaho Potato Bowl, but the Big Sky could if they bus.

Moreover, it is extremely unlikely that a stadium expansion would be approved at the Alerus Center in time for the move-up in the next 2 or 3 years. Such an idea would have to go through the Alerus commission and then the city council. I doubt there is the political will at the city-level to approve a very costly stadium expansion in the near-term, particularly when UND has been at about 50% capacity the last couple years. At a minimum, the city would require UND to sign a lease amendment increasing rent and probably adding several more years to the back-end of the lease. Even then, I don't think an expansion could get done that quickly.

Thus, as far as I can tell, there are no expansion plans at Memorial Stadium or the Alerus Center in the near future. The way I see it, short of a Engelstad-like donation, I don't see UND jumping to FBS anytime soon.

Phase II is of the IPF is designed to have East Side stands built over them. How much would it cost to get stands built and have a FBS compliant stadium? 20 mill is my guess. Another $40 mill would gold plate it and refurbish the west side. If your talking a roof or retractable roof, the numbers soar.

Later games in November could still be played in the Alerus with no expansion (as long as Memorial was big enough ~18K? - to average 15k for the season).

Phase II is of the IPF is designed to have East Side stands built over them. How much would it cost to get stands built and have a FBS compliant stadium? 20 mill is my guess. Another $40 mill would gold plate it and refurbish the west side. If your talking a roof or retractable roof, the numbers soar.

Later games in November could still be played in the Alerus with no expansion (as long as Memorial was big enough ~18K? - to average 15k for the season).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Phase I and II total $13 million? How long did it take for them to raise the funds for Phase I? I don't know the answer, but it seems it took a few years. And I don't believe they've even finished the fundraising for Phase II. How are they going to fund a Phase III, which at a minimum will double Phase I and II combined, in time for the timeline under your theory?

Does UND have any alum with some big time oil money? Tap that well....literally!! :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Phase I and II total $13 million? How long did it take for them to raise the funds for Phase I? I don't know the answer, but it seems it took a few years. And I don't believe they've even finished the fundraising for Phase II. How are they going to fund a Phase III, which at a minimum will double Phase I and II combined, in time for the timeline under your theory?

Thought together with Phase II it was $18 mill. 82sioux knows for sure. UND just raised over $300 mill. If UND announces it needs money to go FBS, I'm certain money can be raised (and not off the students backs) and fairly quickly if its less then $25 Mill. Naming rights for the IPF complicated fundraising for it. 2017 would be the must have date, so if my theory is right, it needs to happen fairly quickly.

Are you actually that braindead, or do you just not have any reading compreshension skills (or perhaps you didn't bother to read anything on the first bolded subject and are just throwing sh*t at the wall with hopes that it sticks?)? MSU was to have come to Fargo last Fall on a 1-1 return trip. We went there several years ago, and Fargo was their end of the bargain. So, what you are posting is complete BS, but I'm sure that won't stop you from posting it, and other complete inaccuracies a multitude of additional times.

As for the second bolded subject, just what is it the UND is doing "well" in football?! Laughable really!!!

Also, I can't wait for this UND FBS move, because it will allow for at least a couple of things both NDSU and UND have been wanting. For UND, NDSU would be more than happy to give UND its desired annual game, switching between Fargo and Grand Spoons. For NDSU, it will provide our annual FBS game, along with basically a guarenteed FBS win on our record (and I am sure a substantial payout). It's a perfect world!! /purple

Also, I can't wait for this UND FBS move, because it will allow for at least a couple of things both NDSU and UND have been wanting. For UND, NDSU would be more than happy to give UND its desired annual game, switching between Fargo and Grand Spoons. For NDSU, it will provide our annual FBS game, along with basically a guarenteed FBS win on our record (and I am sure a substantial payout). It's a perfect world!! /purple

So in your theory, NDSU gets both a home game every other year and a guarantee for the years it is played in Grand Forks? Quite the imagination you have there...

Thought together with Phase II it was $18 mill. 82sioux knows for sure. UND just raised over $300 mill. If UND announces it needs money to go FBS, I'm certain money can be raised (and not off the students backs) and fairly quickly if its less then $25 Mill. Naming rights for the IPF complicated fundraising for it. 2017 would be the must have date, so if my theory is right, it needs to happen fairly quickly.

I think the first phase was about $13 million and the 2nd phase is another $6 million for a total of about $19 million. That would allow them to put bleacher seats over the east side of Memorial. They would also probably have to add seating to the endzone to reach 18,000.

Are you actually that braindead, or do you just not have any reading compreshension skills (or perhaps you didn't bother to read anything on the first bolded subject and are just throwing sh*t at the wall with hopes that it sticks?)? MSU was to have come to Fargo last Fall on a 1-1 return trip. We went there several years ago, and Fargo was their end of the bargain. So, what you are posting is complete BS, but I'm sure that won't stop you from posting it, and other complete inaccuracies a multitude of additional times.

As for the second bolded subject, just what is it the UND is doing "well" in football?! Laughable really!!!

What part of what he said about NDSU not being a guarantee game for MSU was wrong? They dropped NDSU to get a HOME GAME and A GUARANTEE GAME. Worth every penny to pay the buyout.