SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

Yet UMass and UMH are spending millions to bring their on-campus facilities up to date (and in UMass's case FBS compliant). UMass made a mistake moving football to the Patriot's field. They want in the American Conference eventually (so does UNH).

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20140204/NEWS06/140209740/0/NEWS12

Yet UMass and UMH are spending millions to bring their on-campus facilities up to date (and in UMass's case FBS compliant). UMass made a mistake moving football to the Patriot's field. They want in the American Conference eventually (so does UNH).

http://www.unionlead...209740/0/NEWS12

UMass thought they could be the state school in football - obviously they over-estimated their importance in the already sports jam-packed northeast, especially in Celtics/Red Sox/Patriots territory. What an absolute disaster...playing in Gilette Stadium in front of basically family and friends. EPIC FBS FAIL!

UMass thought they could be the state school in football - obviously they over-estimated their importance in the already sports jam-packed northeast, especially in Celtics/Red Sox/Patriots territory. What an absolute disaster...playing in Gilette Stadium in front of basically family and friends. EPIC FBS FAIL!

I am sure playing in a city (area) where there is already an established FBS team in a super conference (BC) doesn't help. UMASS may have been a big deal in the FCS but competing against the big boys for media, and exposure isn't going to help you especially when you are at the bottom of a conference like the MAC.

I am sure playing in a city (area) where there is already an established FBS team in a super conference (BC) doesn't help. UMASS may have been a big deal in the FCS but competing against the big boys for media, and exposure isn't going to help you especially when you are at the bottom of a conference like the MAC.

If Matty Ryan, a legitimate Heisman candidate, and the #2-ranked team in the country (at the time) can't get the Boston area excited about college football, nothing can. Heads should roll at UMass for thinking that 30-40,000 people would turn out to see UMass-BC football head-to-head.

If Matty Ryan, a legitimate Heisman candidate, and the #2-ranked team in the country (at the time) can't get the Boston area excited about college football, nothing can. Heads should roll at UMass for thinking that 30-40,000 people would turn out to see UMass-BC football head-to-head.

BC 33,006 avg

UMass 15,830 avg (that is still more than 7 other teams, most are MAC teams)

Notice how the Missouri St H/H is staggered:

@ Mo State next year (when Mo St probably starts their FBS transition)

@UND in 2018, when UND must have home FBS opponents

Missouri St knows they are going FBS with the MAC or Sun Belt. They probably think the 2018 game will be cancelled. Our AD is an idiot for scheduling a H & H with Mo St as out home game would be cancelled by Mo St unless we go FBS? Or he know's something that hasn't been announced by both schools?

In 2017, the @USD will be cancelled, as FBS teams don't play @ FCS teams. Only the 2016 game at GF will be played, if UND is going FBS. Smart scheduling if UND is going FBS starting in 2016.

2017@Utah

2018@Washington

The PAC 12 is considering banning games vs FCS teams. Why would UND think those Pac12 games would be played as scheduled unless UND was FBS?

Notice how the Missouri St H/H is staggered:

@ Mo State next year (when Mo St probably starts their FBS transition)

@UND in 2018, when UND must have home FBS opponents

Missouri St knows they are going FBS with the MAC or Sun Belt. They probably think the 2018 game will be cancelled. Our AD is an idiot for scheduling a H & H with Mo St as out home game would be cancelled by Mo St unless we go FBS? Or he know's something that hasn't been announced by both schools?

In 2017, the @USD will be cancelled, as FBS teams don't play @ FCS teams. Only the 2016 game at GF will be played, if UND is going FBS. Smart scheduling if UND is going FBS starting in 2016.

2017@Utah

2018@Washington

The PAC 12 is considering banning games vs FCS teams. Why would UND think those Pac12 games would be played as scheduled unless UND was FBS?

They have nice buyouts and UND uses the money to buy Pioneer League home games.

They have nice buyouts and UND uses the money to buy Pioneer League home games.

Probably true if the Big Sky doesn't follow through. :p Notice there aren't any Pioneer League teams after 2015.

Not advocating FBS, but just observing some issues. Missouri State doesn't have an easy time scheduling H/H with FCS teams.

I can't even believe it's a topic of discussion...

I only seeing UND going FBS if there is a split in the FBS (Super 5 in one direction and the rest of the FBS absorbing upper FCS teams). I would be shocked if UND goes FBS before the end of this decade.

I only seeing UND going FBS if there is a split in the FBS (Super 5 in one direction and the rest of the FBS absorbing upper FCS teams). I would be shocked if UND goes FBS before the end of this decade.

I'm sorry, but when I think of "upper FCS teams," I would put dozens of schools ahead of the University of North Dakota. That's just the way it is.

I'm sorry, but when I think of "upper FCS teams," I would put dozens of schools ahead of the University of North Dakota. That's just the way it is.

Upper not by record but by scholarships. No way the non-scholly teams or schools who don't put money in football like Idaho State, Indiana State, UNC move into the FBS.

Facilities, Athletic Budget, Academics, Endowment. Those are all more important than 'current' ranking of a football team. Things change in a heartbeat in sports.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I think UND football should be in the second highest division no matter what happens. I'm very skeptical of UND being in the highest division. But there is absolutely no reason UND should be in the third highest division. So, as it stands, UND is probably where they ought to be. If there is a split up top (which I highly doubt will happen), then UND has to move up to the second highest division.

• Upvote 1

Small-thinking. There is no reason UND can't be an upper FCS team.

I guess if you consider me skeptical of being able to compete, in terms of fan support, $$$$, and on the field, with the likes of LSU, Alabama, Florida State, Texas, USC, Michigan, and Ohio State, then by all means, I'm small-minded.

I guess if you consider me skeptical of being able to compete, in terms of fan support, $$$$, and on the field, with the likes of LSU, Alabama, Florida State, Texas, USC, Michigan, and Ohio State, then by all means, I'm small-minded.

I don't know what you are talking about. I was responding to your claim of UND not being an "upper FCS team" not on UND's viability to compete with the schools you mentioned. UND certainly can and should be an upper FCS team.

I don't know what you are talking about. I was responding to your claim of UND not being an "upper FCS team" not on UND's viability to compete with the schools you mentioned. UND certainly can and should be an upper FCS team.

My bad. I was still stuck on darell's assertion that UND should bump up to FBS and got lost in my own thoughts with respect to his post when commenting on yours.

I agree with you...UND shouldn't expect to far any worse at the FCS level than the school 70 miles to the south of Grand Forks.

My bad. I was still stuck on darell's assertion that UND should bump up to FBS and got lost in my own thoughts with respect to his post when commenting on yours.

I agree with you...UND shouldn't expect to far any worse at the FCS level than the school 70 miles to the south of Grand Forks.

I told you my reason for UND going FBS and when they should.

The whole idea of this thread is that the Big Sky collectively is going to move to FBS, not UND by itself.

The MAC and Sun Belt are FBS conferences, but nobody associates them with the "big boys". The MAC has enrollments that probably average 5000 more then the Big Sky. The Sun Belt schools are smaller than the Big Sky and are hardly research schools.

A conference of:

W Mich

C Mich

E Mich

N Ill

Ball St

Miami

Toledo

Bowling Green

Akron

Kent St

Ohio

Buffalo

UMass

Has rights and privileges of FBS. Why shouldn't UND and the Big Sky?

The Sun Belt will be these schools next year:

Appalachian St

Ga St

Ga Southern

Troy

USA

La Monroe

La Lafayette

Ark St

Texas St

Idaho

NMSU

and one to be announced

Is that exclusive company that no other FCS conference should dare to approach?

• Upvote 1

The whole idea of this thread is that the Big Sky collectively is going to move to FBS, not UND by itself.

The MAC and Sun Belt are FBS conferences, but nobody associates them with the "big boys". The MAC has enrollments that probably average 5000 more then the Big Sky. The Sun Belt schools are smaller than the Big Sky and are hardly research schools.

A conference of:

W Mich

C Mich

E Mich

N Ill

Ball St

Miami

Toledo

Bowling Green

Akron

Kent St

Ohio

Buffalo

UMass

Has rights and privileges of FBS. Why shouldn't UND and the Big Sky?

The Sun Belt will be these schools next year:

Appalachian St

Ga St

Ga Southern

Troy

USA

La Monroe

La Lafayette

Ark St

Texas St

Idaho

NMSU

and one to be announced

Is that exclusive company that no other FCS conference should dare to approach?

Ya, the bar is low. Many of the schools in the FCS are on par with these two leagues. But, NCAA rules require that conferences are not allow to move to FBS, but that teams must receive an invite from an existing FBS conference. So therefore, it is problematic and against existing policy for the entire Big Sky to move FBS.

Heck, if UND is wanting to move FBS, why wouldn't you just join the MAC? It's closer to your footprint, and you wouldn't have to worry about 1/2 the schools in the Big Sky going belly up financially because of the move. Why not just join an FBS conference if you want to be FBS?

What's the value in doing something that everyone is doing? Why not do something excusive? Why would you even want the entire Big sky to be FBS, and be a part of it?