SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

16 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I'm going to retire from this thread for a month or until the WAC option is plainly revealed.  The illogic here among the trolls is frightening, and many SS.come posters accept their illogic.

So we are going through this exercise again?  How many times have you stated that something is going to happen just to have it not happen.  Is it just me or is the doomsday clock more accurate than the BSC to WAC to FBS expansion Clock

doomsday clock.jpg

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

I'm going to retire from this thread for a month or until the WAC option is plainly revealed.  The illogic here among the trolls is frightening, and many SS.come posters accept their illogic.

The problem people have is that you put out these predictions and dates that they will happen.....and then the dates pass and nothing happens.  People are not trolling.  They are just holding you accountable for your "predictions."  While your predictions certainly could happen, stating information with no facts or reference to back it up makes it hard to believe. 

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

I would think Idaho has nowhere else to go, and the Big Sky knows that. They can threaten to leave, but they have nowhere left to go.

if the mwc loses a couple to the big 12 I would say Idaho might have a shot...probably not but they do have some options

20 hours ago, Gothmog said:

If it's really what he said, I would take it as a suggestion that cuts to the football program may be necessary at some point in the future. No more, no less.

Amazing what two different people can hear when words are spoken from the same mouth...

I heard Faison say in the interview that Larsen told him ndsu was dropping their FCOA commitment because of budget cuts and that a drop down to D2 was all but imminent, so I guess we disagree in what we heard from Faison's interview.

In fact, I also personally heard that from a very reliable source from within ndsu.

As long as we're at it, did Faison say he supports Trump or Hillary in that interview?  Sorry, I stopped listening.

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

if the mwc loses a couple to the big 12 I would say Idaho might have a shot...probably not but they do have some options

Nope. NMSU have an outside shot, a very outside shot if the MWC loses 2. The MWC will backfill a loss of 2 schools with UTEP and either Rice or UTSA. Idaho's time in FBS is coming to an end and no twisting of words, statements, etc. will change that. Idaho has only one option for an all sports conference. The BSC. Idaho is back where they belong.

4 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

Nope. NMSU have an outside shot, a very outside shot if the MWC loses 2. The MWC will backfill a loss of 2 schools with UTEP and either Rice or UTSA. Idaho's time in FBS is coming to an end and no twisting of words, statements, etc. will change that. Idaho has only one option for an all sports conference. The BSC. Idaho is back where they belong.

nope...if the mwc loses 2, 4, or 6 of their members no one from the south is looking to go to logan, Laramie, or reno

53 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

Well they'd leave then regardless of if UND is present in the Big Sky or not. MWC is a pretty good gig.

And they aren't getting that invite anyway

54 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

nope...if the mwc loses 2, 4, or 6 of their members no one from the south is looking to go to logan, Laramie, or reno

Leaving the other Texas schools out of the discussion let us just talk UTEP. You do know where UTEP came from and you do know where El Paso is located? The MWC will look to Texas, especially a mountain west school like UTEP long before any FCS (think Idaho, UM, MSU) western school would be considered. And UTEP would jump at the chance to get into the MWC. The link below will explain it to you much better than I can.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/college/2016/08/02/realignment-could-mean-new-home-utep/87965578/

As for UTSA. The MWC were interested in them prior to their joining CUSA. If UTEP goes to the MWC (which they would if an offer was given) UTSA or Rice could get an offer as a 2nd Texas school and both would jump at the chance to upgrade to a better conference. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Idaho has no option other than the BSC. NMSU is a different story. They have never been FCS/D1AA. They made the best choice they could for themselves. They have a 35,000 seat FB stadium and their geographic location, though not ideal is better than Idaho's. They can go Independent for a few years while hoping for enough conference shifts to open a spot in CUSA, MWC or the SBC. If that doesn't happen they will need to make some hard decisions. It could mean dropping down or it could mean walking away from FB.

3 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

Leaving the other Texas schools out of the discussion let us just talk UTEP. You do know where UTEP came from and you do know where El Paso is located? The MWC will look to Texas, especially a mountain west school like UTEP long before any FCS (think Idaho, UM, MSU) western school would be considered. And UTEP would jump at the chance to get into the MWC. The link below will explain it to you much better than I can.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/college/2016/08/02/realignment-could-mean-new-home-utep/87965578/

As for UTSA. The MWC were interested in them prior to their joining CUSA. If UTEP goes to the MWC (which they would if an offer was given) UTSA or Rice could get an offer as a 2nd Texas school and both would jump at the chance to upgrade to a better conference. Sorry, that's just the way it is.

Idaho has no option other than the BSC. NMSU is a different story. They have never been FCS/D1AA. They made the best choice they could for themselves. They have a 35,000 seat FB stadium and their geographic location, though not ideal is better than Idaho's. They can go Independent for a few years while hoping for enough conference shifts to open a spot in CUSA, MWC or the SBC. If that doesn't happen they will need to make some hard decisions. It could mean dropping down or it could mean walking away from FB.

really? utep would jump at the chance to join the mwc?  so when the mwc expanded a few years back they chose san jose state, Utah state, and boise state ahead of utep?..no chance...

So much for your facts and logic---

''''' try to break it down for even the dim witted bison fans.

Fullerton doesn't have the final say with the Big Sky. The Board of Directors does, which is Big Sky Presidents. Fullerton essentially told Big Sky Presidents that we're going FBS whether you like it nor not. If you don't, you can go FCS among the few remaining (looking at Suu, UNC,NAU, Weber, Isu).

Fullerton can only say such a thing if be knows he has the backing of the majority of Presidents. If he has the support of only a few, he would be fired. Pretty simple.

The Idaho and Montana President were both at USD at the same time. They are assuredly on first name basis with each other. Staben, the Idaho Prez, also has Illinois and Cal-Berkley on his resume, same as Kelley.

Staben knows if he doesn't keep Idaho the FBS level, alumni support would dry up, and he'd likely be fired. He's the key BSC Prez now: with Engstrom and Cruzado carrying a lot of weight and leading the FBS charge.''''''

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Wild assertions are flying around by you and others but they don't bother you.

Logic and finances will prevail.

The Big Sky'schools plans are in play, but you deny they even exist.

Kind of stupid of Faison and Kennedy to accept a rather piddly new 5-year TV contract with UND's athletic departments current financial troubles considering the impending big jump to FBS. You would think they would have allowed the last year of the contract take place and then let all of the regional media (Midco, Forum Comm, FSN) knock themselves out bidding for the contract after the big annoucement. Not a great business decision. 

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4100412-missouri-valley-conference-official-mum-possible-und-membership#.V7z24b7Xfls.twitter

Patti Viverito, the head of the Missouri Valley Football Conference, said Tuesday: "I'm not at liberty to have discussions about membership with the press. We're certainly reading the articles coming out of North Dakota with interest."

Viverito declined to speak about the advantages and disadvantages of the current 10-team member, football-only league.

Here is the summary for the "dim witted",

UND has strategically aligned itself with like minded state institutes who have bigger goals than FCS football.

Including one Big Sky team that can leave the conference without penalty if U of North Dakota decides to leave.

....not a bunch of commuter junior college schools glad to play up to FCS ball.

• Upvote 3

Midco and UND are building rapport. Which both know are helping build each other up, and will be both multiple more to each side in the future, as UND conference games are already under contract with national television (and midco contract has to work around)....neither of which are happening at NDSU as KVLY just realized it only competed with basically no one.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cratter said:

Here is the summary for the "dim witted",

UND has strategically aligned itself with like minded state institutes who have bigger goals than FCS football.

Including one Big Sky team that can leave the conference without penalty if U of North Dakota decides to leave even though there is literally nowhere for them to go.

....not a bunch of commuter junior college schools glad to play up to FCS ball.

Fixed.

No where for them to go. Can't think of a single plausible scenario.

17 minutes ago, JohnboyND7 said:

Fixed.

No where for them to go. Can't think of a single plausible scenario.

They have the same place to go as NDSU....scratch that.....U of I can go where they decide to bring conference mates....or more importantly where they have already declared who they want to follow...not even (we love to save costs MVFC has a school) that has declared that because they are glad to accept anyone (historically loving D2 move ups).

The athletic department can't afford current costs, but here we have an internet debate over the plausibility of an FBS move that would (we are being told) fix the current situation while at the same time INCREASING costs.

Alrighty then...it's bed time.

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

The athletic department can't afford current costs, but here we have an internet debate over the plausibility of an FBS move that would (we are being told) fix the current situation while at the same time INCREASING costs.

Alrighty then...it's bed time.

You must not read this thread much

..scroll up..

.educate yourself.

9 minutes ago, Cratter said:

You must not read this thread much

..scroll up..

.educate yourself.

Ha!  You brought the concept of "education" into this thread of nonsense.

That's good stuff.

I may be eating my words as these prophecies come true, but I feel good about my chances.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

Ha!  You brought the concept of "education" into this thread of nonsense.

That's good stuff.

I may be eating my words as these prophecies come true, but I feel good about my chances.

oh ....You Are The Type That "athletics" Should Be "Self sustaining" And Not "marketing".....because if you reread your original statement it's been pointed out as False.

7 hours ago, Cratter said:

They have the same place to go as NDSU....scratch that.....U of I can go where they decide to bring conference mates....or more importantly where they have already declared who they want to follow...not even (we love to save costs MVFC has a school) that has declared that because they are glad to accept anyone (historically loving D2 move ups).

I am having trouble following this post.

• Upvote 1