SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

12 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4100412-missouri-valley-conference-official-mum-possible-und-membership#.V7z24b7Xfls.twitter

Patti Viverito, the head of the Missouri Valley Football Conference, said Tuesday: "I'm not at liberty to have discussions about membership with the press. We're certainly reading the articles coming out of North Dakota with interest."

Viverito declined to speak about the advantages and disadvantages of the current 10-team member, football-only league.

It's interesting that she didn't just repeat the company line that the MVFC in not interesting in expanding. That plus Faison's comments on KFGO yesterday do seem to point to some sort of ongoing discussions/negotiations between UND and the MVFC. I also find this comment by Schlossman interesting: "The only options appear to be going to the Summit for all sports other than hockey, swimming and football, and partnering with either the MVFC or Big Sky for football". Obviously, he's not aware of any WAC/FBS deal.

UND will not go FBS.  I think the budget issues have now confirmed that the possibility of that is not going to happen.  Schools that are cutting sports and looking to change conferences to save money aren't looking to add millions of dollars or expenses to their athletic budget by moving up to FBS.

Can we shut down this thread now?! 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

It's interesting that she didn't just repeat the company line that the MVFC in not interesting in expanding. That plus Faison's comment on KFGO yesterday do seem to point to some sort of ongoing discussions/negotiations between UND and the MVFC. I also find this comment by Schlossman interesting: "The only options appear to be going to the Summit for all sports other than hockey, swimming and football, and partnering with either the MVFC or Big Sky for football". Obviously, he's not aware of any WAC/FBS deal.

Not saying he's wrong, but Schlossman's knowledge outside of hockey is pretty limited.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Not saying he's wrong, but Schlossman's knowledge outside of hockey is pretty limited.

Sure, he's a hockey guy. But he does have connections to the athletic department. I suspect he'd know if there was a huge pending deal involving the classification and conference affiliation of UND athletics. A deal of that size and scope would be nearly impossible to hide at UND, and all of the other 8-16 public institutions involved.

One more thought: why would there be a need to hide the WAC/FBS anyway?

6 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Sure, he's a hockey guy. But he does have connections to the athletic department. I suspect he'd know if there was a huge pending deal involving the classification and conference affiliation of UND athletics. A deal of that size and scope would be nearly impossible to hide at UND, and all of the other 8-16 public institutions involved.

Easy to hide during a Jubilee year.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

It's interesting that she didn't just repeat the company line that the MVFC in not interesting in expanding. That plus Faison's comments on KFGO yesterday do seem to point to some sort of ongoing discussions/negotiations between UND and the MVFC. I also find this comment by Schlossman interesting: "The only options appear to be going to the Summit for all sports other than hockey, swimming and football, and partnering with either the MVFC or Big Sky for football". Obviously, he's not aware of any WAC/FBS deal.

I found her quote interesting for the same reason.  This is the first shift, albeit subtle, I've seen publicly from the MVFC about expansion since USD joined.

28 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

I was referring specifically to his statement that didn't leave "remaining a full member of the Big Sky" as an option.  SV's FBS ideas are just SV's FBS ideas.

4 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I was referring specifically to his statement that didn't leave "remaining a full member of the Big Sky" as an option.  SV's FBS ideas are just SV's FBS ideas.

I took as "the only conference options that would cut expenses are...."

Status Quo wouldn't address the issue.

9 hours ago, Matt said:

The athletic department can't afford current costs,...

I assume you refer to NDSU's athletic budget. "What?" you ask. Why I say please refer to the Bresciani emails that Port got via FOIA. In there you'll find where Bresciani told Larson to prepare budgets with 5, 10, and 15% cuts to the athletic budget. No one seems to want to converse about that other than jdub27 mentioning it a couple times. 

• Upvote 2

About SiouxVolley's theories of a rejuvenated WAC with FBS FB: 

I've roamed this Earth long enough to realize that "absolute words" come back to bite you; thus, with regards to what he's saying I'll say neither definitely nor never. It's plausible, possible, but has a whole lot of moving parts. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I've roamed this Earth long enough to realize that "absolute words" come back to bite you; thus, with regards to what he's saying I'll say neither definitely nor never. It's plausible, possible, but has a whole lot of moving parts. 

This^^^^. The problem with dismissing SiouxVolley's theories is that they do contain some factual information. I do believe that there has been discussion about going FBS, as he predicts, with the Montana's, Idaho and the other 3 Dakota schools. I think where he is going wrong is assuming UND is interested without the 3 Dakota schools. The other part of this equation is centered on the P5 moving away to form their own level. UND and NDSU believe they need to be in the second tier of football, currently that's FCS. If the P5 pulled away, I believe they would want to be with the MAC's and Mountain West's of the world. I think the kind of move SiouxVolley is talking about would only occur in that situation (P5 moving away). I think if UND could have their way, they would want a conference consisting of the 4 Dakota schools, the Montana's and a couple others. Everyone I have talked to inside UND's athletic department love's the Big Sky, especially playing the Montana's, but they also want (and Need, in my opinion) to be with the other 3 Dakota schools.

3 hours ago, mksioux said:

I found her quote interesting for the same reason.  This is the first shift, albeit subtle, I've seen publicly from the MVFC about expansion since USD joined.

My thoughts exactly...not quite smoke, but there does seem to be something going on behind the scenes.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Goon's knowledge of thermo-nuclear fission and Higgs bosons. 

First, I said a long time ago the BSC and UND isn't going FBS football. As far as the other subject, WTF? I had to google Higgs Bosons. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

What's not plausible, or any more than remotely possible, about SV's theories is the idea that the WAC/FBS thing is a done deal, and that it will be announced and take effect soon. Some official, or perhaps a journalist, at one of those 8-16 schools would have let the cat out of the bag long before it got anywhere near that point.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Siouxperman8 said:

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4100412-missouri-valley-conference-official-mum-possible-und-membership#.V7z24b7Xfls.twitter

Patti Viverito, the head of the Missouri Valley Football Conference, said Tuesday: "I'm not at liberty to have discussions about membership with the press. We're certainly reading the articles coming out of North Dakota with interest."

Viverito declined to speak about the advantages and disadvantages of the current 10-team member, football-only league.

Is it possible that the MVFC is looking ahead to losing Yougstown in a trickle-down effect of someone like Cincinnati going to the Big 12, eventually making room for the Penguins in the Ohio Valley or some other eastern conference? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I assume you refer to NDSU's athletic budget. "What?" you ask. Why I say please refer to the Bresciani emails that Port got via FOIA. In there you'll find where Bresciani told Larson to prepare budgets with 5, 10, and 15% cuts to the athletic budget. No one seems to want to converse about that other than jdub27 mentioning it a couple times. 

Do you have a link?  Or the transcript?

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

You assume incorrectly.

I refer to the 1M+ deficit remaining after being asked to cut programs.  Seemed like a general description of "can't afford current costs" was reasonably accurate...but I'm no accountant.

As for your ndsu reference, I suppose if Larson is unable to deliver the requested cuts (as Faison could not) then the same description would be true there as well.

13 minutes ago, Matt said:

You assume incorrectly.

I refer to the 1M+ deficit remaining after being asked to cut programs.  Seemed like a general description of "can't afford current costs" was reasonably accurate...but I'm no accountant.

The $1.4 million deficit was for 2015-16.  The baseball and golf programs weren't cut yet in 2015-16.