SiouxSports.com Forum

UND and the Big Sky could go FBS

SiouxVolley

5 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

Yes, SDSU has done remarkably well in FCS, better than might have been reasonably expected.. But many of the schools listed as part of this theoretical conference are also fairly recent DII move ups, and some of them were more successful at the DII level than was SDSU. If they have not had much success moving up to FCS, why would anyone assume that they will have more success moving to FBS?

I don't believe the WAC move would be successful, but IF it occurred and UND was successful at FBS it'd be because they moved before South Dakota State and North Dakota State, and thus gained a recruiting advantage similar to what vaulted the xDSUs ahead of the UxDs.

As for the bolded portion, without looking it up I'm going to guess that all of them other than maybe Sac St were more successful at the DII level than SDSU.  It'd be difficult to be worse.

9 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Unrelated:  What the heck is going on in New York?  20 million people and just 5-10 top-rated recruits.

Must be the urban NYC area that hurts the numbers. I'm not sure, but it would seem that having a FB team in an NYC high school would be a luxury that most can't/don't want to pay for. But that's just a guess.

As for Kansas. Any top recruits are going to be leaving the state or going KSU/KU. If Wichita was such a hot bed of recruits WSU would have been good prior to dropping the sport. They weren't. In fact they had not won a conference title in 30 years, one of the reasons they dropped the sport. The city, school and alumni were so apathetic that when a group tried to raise private funds to save the program the dollar figure raised... ZERO!

30 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

I don't believe the WAC move would be successful, but IF it occurred and UND was successful at FBS it'd be because they moved before South Dakota State and North Dakota State, and thus gained a recruiting advantage similar to what vaulted the xDSUs ahead of the UxDs.

As for the bolded portion, without looking it up I'm going to guess that all of them other than maybe Sac St were more successful at the DII level than SDSU.  It'd be difficult to be worse.

Well, we'll never know what might have happened if UND had moved up at the same time as the XDSUs. But, whose fault is that?

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Gothmog said:

No, hotbed, or not, Wichita State will have a whole lot of competition from better established nearby schools. They're unlikely to get more than table scraps

with this kind of mindset you might want to send an email to these schools to close up shop and drop fb totally

akron

western michigan

eastern michigan

central michigan

toledo

northern illinois

miami, oh

ohio

unc-charlotte

south florida

central florida

appy state

georgia southern

georgia state

florida international

florida atlantic

western kentucky

south alabama

troy

southern mississippi

texas state

texas-san antonio

la-lafeyette

la tech

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, jacksfan29 said:

Must be the urban NYC area that hurts the numbers. I'm not sure, but it would seem that having a FB team in an NYC high school would be a luxury that most can't/don't want to pay for. But that's just a guess.

As for Kansas. Any top recruits are going to be leaving the state or going KSU/KU. If Wichita was such a hot bed of recruits WSU would have been good prior to dropping the sport. They weren't. In fact they had not won a conference title in 30 years, one of the reasons they dropped the sport. The city, school and alumni were so apathetic that when a group tried to raise private funds to save the program the dollar figure raised... ZERO!

The Koch Brothers weren't billionaires at the time.  Now the Shockers and WSU business and entrepreneurial function are a high priority.

Would UND hockey be the same without Engelstad?  

27 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

Faison made some interesting comments on 790 this morning... He sure made Summit/MV sounded desirable but no standing invites... 

It'll be interesting to see how SV deals with this if it progresses. I'm betting on "this is a ruse by Kennedy/Faison to a) extract more money from donors for the inevitable FBS WAC, or b) curry favor with the legislature to get approval and funding for the inevitable FBS WAC."

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So a recognition that some Big Sky schools will go FBS was Faulty?

Corporations paid me for my insight into problem solving.  It's never precise at first, but you demand that.

How did you and Bozoville's prediction that UND wouldn't go DI Go?  All the board was saying that.  Certainly all Bisonville aren't that Idiotic?  

Of course it wasnt the whole board silly. Most new you would follow us sooner or later.

56 minutes ago, mooncountry said:

Faison made some interesting comments on 790 this morning... He sure made Summit/MV sounded desirable but no standing invites... 

I found his comment they were committed to funding football for now comment strange. I would assume they are committed to funding for football---period. Not just for now.

Or am I reading that wrong?

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

So a recognition that some Big Sky schools will go FBS was Faulty?

Corporations paid me for my insight into problem solving.  It's never precise at first, but you demand that.

How did you and Bozoville's prediction that UND wouldn't go DI Go?  All the board was saying that.  Certainly all Bisonville aren't that Idiotic?  

Precise??? Dude you arent in the same stratosphere with that prediction. Plus there is a laundry list of others. Should I go on?:)

2 minutes ago, bison73 said:

I found his comment they were committed to funding football for now comment strange. I would assume they are committed to funding for football---period. Not just for now.

Or am I reading that wrong?

I didn't hear what he said, but the implication seems to be that, at some point in the future, they may not be committed to "funding" football. If it means anything at all, it must mean at the current level.

1 minute ago, Gothmog said:

You do understand the difference between having a DI sport, and being a DI school, don't you? Bemidji State has a DI sport.

to 98% of college football fans if your school isn't fbs you are still d2..hence the espn tweet about wentz not playing against "d1 talent each and every week"

• Upvote 2