SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. CC

AZSIOUX

Can't remember a CC team this bad. I'm guessing a loss would really hurt in the pairwise....sweep CC!

UND

9-7-2 overall

5-5-0-0 NCHC

17th in pairwise

CC

2-13-3 overall

2-5-3-1 NCHC

51st in pairwise

First win came at home vs Umd first game of the season and a few series back they beat UNO in the springs. 3 ties coming against Scsu, UNO and DU

Can't remember a CC team this bad. I'm guessing a loss would really hurt in the pairwise....sweep CC!

UND

9-7-2 overall

5-5-0-0 NCHC

17th in pairwise

CC

2-13-3 overall

2-5-3-1 NCHC

51st in pairwise

First win came at home vs Umd first game of the season and a few series back they beat UNO in the springs. 3 ties coming against Scsu, UNO and DU

It has been 20 years since they were this bad. In the 80's they were a doormat.

Will Rocco play? Is he OK? I did not see the injury last night.

Sure hope he does! This team is already lacking finishers and playmakers. Rocco is 16% or so of the scoring for this team. May not seem much but when the team only has a total of 109 points that's a big chunk with the type of player he is. Rocco is at 17 points in 18 games. Next closest is the trio of cags, Johnson and parks at 11 each then dillon and schmaltz at 10 each.

Points haven't been easy to produce including the 5 game win streak. 3 goals won four of the five and 4 goals in the other win. Zane and more solid D was a diference in those games. Sweep CC and sure hope 19 is good to go as he will be needed

46 of the 109 points for UND have come from the blueline. 13 goals and 33 assists

SIMPSON 3-7

SCHMALTZ 2-8

LADUE 3-5

MATTSON 1-5

STECHER 1-5

AUSMUS 2-1

THOMPSON 1-2

Overall UND stats

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/north-dakota/mens-hockey/2013-2014/

NCHC UND stats

http://www.uscho.com/stats/team/north-dakota/mens-hockey/2013-2014/#confstats

Looking at the records, the Sioux 'should' beat CC. But CC always plays better against UND, UNO, and teams with a run-and-gun style of play (which typically matches CC's style); though UND hasn't exactly looked like a run-and-gun team this year.

We need a sweep bad this weekend. A loss against a terrible CC team will bury us. However the boys need to show up.... major motivational issues on this team, but its not like this is a surprise.

Looks like another year of sweating out the PWR rankings right up to the selection show...I love that. :glare:

This is HOPEFULLY a big step off the ledge weekend for many around Siouxland. How much did that group care that they were playing exhibition games up in Canada over the holiday break? If they really cared, and those two teams played them toe to toe while not playing like crap then it isn't a playoff season, bottom line. All teams have them, and we knew eventually the streak of NCAA tourney appearances would end.

Schloss said it pretty well in one of his recaps. This team might have forgot that they have to outwork their opponents in just about every facet to win games. This weekend is a chance for them to win some people back. They have to go out there and win six periods and do it playing the way that got them a five game winning streak heading into the break. Not all will forgive them for going up and laying an egg in Canada, but I think getting a sweep at home may settle some folks down, albeit even if it is against the worst team in the league right now.

• Upvote 1

Looks like another year of sweating out the PWR rankings right up to the selection show...I love that. :glare:

What? When has UND ever sweated it out up to the selection show? UND has never been a #4 seed in the current format (2002-2003 season). They've only been a three seed twice since that year (2003 & 2007). What sweating out has occurred?

• Upvote 1

What? When has UND ever sweated it out up to the selection show? UND has never been a #4 seed in the current format (2002-2003 season). They've only been a three seed twice since that year (2003 & 2007). What sweating out has occurred?

The year Kristo's junior year I believe going into the Final Five it was questionable whether we would make it but we won the tourny and ended up as a one. Maybe we were just going to more than likely be a four seed I don't remember.

I guess "up to the selection show" was a bad way to put it, only 2012 was sketchy until the WCHA playoffs. I was thinking more of the years we limped into the second half like 2010 with an average record and needing a big second half to get into the tournament, that's happened quite a bit lately and it looks like this could be another one of those years, hopefully the Hak second-half surge will come through again.

This season, I've attended most of CC's home games plus their road game at DU. They're a strange team-even in their losses, they've demonstrated they can hang with some of the top teams (Wisconsin, DU). And yet, in other losses, they've been blown out (Western, Duluth, New Hampshire). When you average under two goals a game, that puts a ton of pressure on goalie Josh Thorimbert to keep the team in it. Guys like Fejes, Krushelnyski and Skalbeck aren't producing goal-wise.

That said, perhaps UND's lackluster performance up in Canada was in part due to playing down to their level of competition. I'm betting (and hoping) UND's compete level will be much better this weekend against CC.

Despite CC's awful record, don't discount them-they always play UND tough. The UND/CC series is one of the more entertaining series for me as both typically play a very up-tempo style.