SiouxSports.com Forum

Expectations for Next Season & New Coach?

Cratter

Didn't the players at Penn State get the option of transferring without penalty after the whole sex abuse scandal broke?

There's been some exceptions, after the basketball coach who abused his players (Rutgers?) was fired at least one of those kids were allowed to transfer, and there have been other instances of players being allowed to transfer penalty-free to move closer to their families after a death in the family, but it takes a special exemption for an extraordinary event.

Didn't the players at Penn State get the option of transferring without penalty after the whole sex abuse scandal broke?

The NCAA usually lets players transfer from a school that is under sanctions due to administrative failure. ex. USC after Reggie Bush scandal and Penn State

When a coach is fired is it true players can transfer and play immediately at another school without penalty?

Usually only in circumstances where the program has been placed under sanctions or there were serious issues with what was going on within the program. I can't see any waivers like that being granted in this case. The coach was fired, same thing that happens at multiple schools every year. All players will have to sit out a year if they transfer within the FCS or to an FBS school, they will be eligible to play immediately if they transfer down.

For example: Cole Stefan for the MBB team got a waiver to play this year, but he had to petition for it due to some issues with the UW-GB coach (5 players left the team this spring). The waiver was not granted up front and he just received it last week.

In the case of Penn State (which has absolutely zero in common with happened at UND) the NCAA said that all players were eligble to transfer and play immediately without sitting out due to the sanctions handed down.

Is there more to Muss' firing than UND is reporting? If not, what the hell would that have to do with this situation?!

Nice that you are using your FU education. :silly:

My question was that the NCAA has allowed transfers without penalty in the past and I wanted to know if it was applicable to a coach being fired. I never implied anything else. Nice try, please play again. :glare:

If Jackson is transferring and does lose a year so he only ends up with one year of elgibility left at another school I hope he knows what he is doing. He should at least wait and see who the next coach is. He is a very good player and I would hate to lose him . I guess there will always be some casualties when you switch coaches. It will be what it is.

I guess I am a bit confused because it sounded like a lot of players weren't happy with the coaching situation and lately it sounds like they are not happy with the firing. Which one is it?! Does anyone else think this is odd?

My guess is that we will see a handful of players leave, and some were probably going to leave anyway for various reasons, such as homesickness or just not wanting to put in the time football requires. Anybody who leaves primarily out of loyalty to Muss and/or the staff without at least waiting to see who the new coach is, particularly considering that it may be announced within a few weeks, is not very smart IMO.

• Upvote 3

I guess I am a bit confused because it sounded like a lot of players weren't happy with the coaching situation and lately it sounds like they are not happy with the firing. Which one is it?! Does anyone else think this is odd?

Maybe they like the assistants but not the HC or the results under him? Just speculating.

I remember hearing something about a player leaving the program during fall camp and then being welcomed back with open arms or something and only being suspended the first game for the actions. I always inferred that that was Jackson but I could be wrong.

I had heard that Jackson was considering transferring prior to the school year as well. Not sure on the accuracy so never posted anything about it.

Before I heard that Jackson might be leaving, I was considering asking the question "how long will Jackson last under the new coach?". I saw too many things that looked like eye rolling, pouting, and being disgusted when a ball wasn't thrown to him to be too worried about him leaving. If we get the type of coach everyone on this board wants, I don't know that Jackson would have lasted. Maybe he realizes this also.

I would rather that he stayed here, not so much because we need him, more so because he has the skills and physical attributes to be a big time player with pro possibilities and I would hate to see that talent wasted.

Short sighted on his part. Let's hope more players have better long term vision. I also wonder if this means Schleusner could be heading back to Mankato?

I would guess he is following some coach there...remember, Mussman is from that area and spent time at Mankato...