SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana @ North Dakota

homer

Given last year, I suspect UM is more worried about covering the receivers than who is chucking the ball. And, indeed, our punter, Shaw, is the real deal. Before one of the spring scrimmages, I watched him stand on the 45 and punt ball after ball through the uprights. That said, I'm hoping UND won't see much of him. Here is to a good game with no injuries (clink and sip) and a continued intense but friendly rivalry (many more clinks and sips). I wish the Sioux a great season starting next Sunday.

• Upvote 1

I would actually pick UND for this one. Muss made the right choice with Mollberg and the kid will want to prove his worth. The team will want this very bad in front of a home crowd that will stay for the entire game (because it is Montana). Montana is not as tough as SDSU and will struggle with a pissed off UND team. I suspect a tight game, but UND by 2 TDs would not surprise me either. --And this pick pains me as I would like to see the Griz thump UND.........

• Upvote 2

Wow, forgot I made a login at some point

Pissed off is how I'm going to describe this Griz team. They didn't forget last year's embarrassment, and will be out for payback. We may give up 150-200 yards to Hardin, but it won't be enough if UND can't stop our offense.

Montana is not as tough as SDSU

We shall see

I would actually pick UND for this one. Muss made the right choice with Mollberg and the kid will want to prove his worth. The team will want this very bad in front of a home crowd that will stay for the entire game (because it is Montana). Montana is not as tough as SDSU and will struggle with a pissed off UND team. I suspect a tight game, but UND by 2 TDs would not surprise me either. --And this pick pains me as I would like to see the Griz thump UND.........

Yes they are every bit as tough as SDSU. That is my opinion and those close to the program. I believe it will be proven come late November.

Yes they are every bit as tough as SDSU. That is my opinion and those close to the program. I believe it will be proven come late November.

A playoff matchup between the Jacks and Griz may be the only way to prove that. A UND win over the Griz certainly doesn't help the argument.

A playoff matchup between the Jacks and Griz may be the only way to prove that. A UND win over the Griz certainly doesn't help the argument.

A deeper playoff run by one team or the other doesn't prove that? A better record?

I agree that if UND wins my statement will be completely false.

I think people are under estimating the change between the first half and second with the UND defense. Are they good, not yet, but they did show some growth. I have read many times that you see the most change between the 2nd and third games. I hope it is true here. Zenner is a beast, and I don't think anyone can really prepare for him. Montana has two good backs, but they are not Zenner, not even close. Play action, and screens if we worry to much about the run. I don't care if they each get 100 yards, that isn't what will hurt.

JJ is a great QB, but I don't think he is the difference maker in the game, even though that is Montana's opinions. We know we can play form 3 TD's behind, but can the Griz? That shows a lot of character for this team.

15 carries 46 yards.

14 carries 43 yards.

You should want to stop the run more than some passing stuff....

15 carries 46 yards.

14 carries 43 yards.

You should want to stop the run more than some passing stuff....

UND also showed how strong those vaunted MVFC defense can be. Apparently the forward pass hasn't made it to that part of the country yet. Move your trolling elsewhere...

• Upvote 3

UND also showed how strong those vaunted MVFC defense can be. Apparently the forward pass hasn't made it to that part of the country yet. Move your trolling elsewhere...

That is the untalked about part of how "strong" defenses are in the MVFC. All the offenses are pretty similar and teams have molded their defenses accordingly. Look no further than their preseason all conference skill positions. Not saying anything about the other positions which are obviously very good.

NDSU can play D vs. anyone. But the rest of them have proven that they are not that great once they play out of the conference. The playoffs show that very clearly.

This is going on my wall. A NDSU fan that picked UND. Thank you sir for not letting your emotions get to you.

I think it was this thread that a Montana fan was saying that Montana was going to play up closer to our WRs. A quote from an article on the Missoulian's site:

""In an effort to contain North Dakota’s dangerous senior receiver, Greg Hardin, Montana coach Mick Delaney is mulling a new approach for Saturday.

“I think we better back up another four or five yards so he doesn’t run right by us,” joked the coach.""

• Upvote 1

Sounds like Molberg has been named the starter for Saturday. He provided the spark last week so I am liking this decision. Discuss.

I just hope he plays like he did last week. My guess is he came out feeling like there was nothing to lose. Hopefully he stays in that mind frame and doesn't start second guessing himself, which will lead to mistakes. His instincts are great, he needs to go with them.

I gotta be honest I really like Jer and want him to succeed. I just remember watching his highlights when he committed here and being really excited about him but you are right he cannot be the person to get the load of carries. They need to start Shaugs and than bring in Miller/Garman for a change of pace. That's just the way I see it.

• Upvote 1