SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana @ North Dakota

homer

Of course you'll "leave it at that." You made a statement accusing Mussman of not trying to win games based on his decisions in the past. Yet, when asked for more info you try and dodge the question.

Wheres the data showing Mussman's decisions have won more games than lost more games? I'm with Oxbow...You can't be right 50% of the time and expect to have a job in FCS...my 2 cents!

Of course you'll "leave it at that." You made a statement accusing Mussman of not trying to win games based on his decisions in the past. Yet, when asked for more info you try and dodge the question.

See the post below your's #75...that's a pretty good start. Not dodging anything...you and your ilk would come up with excuses no matter what would be brought up.

Also, why did we have to wait until half-time to rally the team? The whole first half looked like the Sioux we wandering around the field with their heads cut-off...One quarter of that type of play and we should be doing a full time out and having a come to jesus with the team...waiting until the second half when you are down by 21 points is a lot like Rocky Hager staying committed to the option when his team is down by 28 pts (Oh yes, I saw this at a SD game when I lived in Sioux Falls). I'm not against Mussman, but he has to show some decisiveness as a coach and make adjustments before his team is in too deep of a hole...

UND Football MUST run backs other than Jake Miller. MUST. Do these other guys have issues holding onto the ball in practice? Do they not block as well or better than a 165 pound speedster? Are they in the doghouse? Why won't Muss and staff throw out different backs to mix things up? I like Miller, but he isn't a feature back. Please, UND Football staff, give Shaugaby and Sparks, maybe Varner a few snaps. Please.

• Upvote 1

UND Football MUST run backs other than Jake Miller. MUST. Do these other guys have issues holding onto the ball in practice? Do they not block as well or better than a 165 pound speedster? Are they in the doghouse? Why won't Muss and staff throw out different backs to mix things up? I like Miller, but he isn't a feature back. Please, UND Football staff, give Shaugaby and Sparks, maybe Varner a few snaps. Please.

One would think the rushing stats from the SDSU game would speak for themselves......

• Upvote 1

One would think the rushing stats from the SDSU game would speak for themselves......

With the quick strike WRs we have our running game needs to be just above marginal. 3 yards here, 5 there... Just enough to keep the opposing front 7 honest. Miller is a quick strike, break a long one type of back. He isn't going to get you the dirty 3 or 4 an offense needs to keep things going on occasion.

With the quick strike WRs we have our running game needs to be just above marginal. 3 yards here, 5 there... Just enough to keep the opposing front 7 honest. Miller is a quick strike, break a long one type of back. He isn't going to get you the dirty 3 or 4 an offense needs to keep things going on occasion.

With how teams need to defend against our passing attack, you'd think the running game would find more space than it has.

With how teams need to defend against our passing attack, you'd think the running game would find more space than it has.

I watched the SDSU coaches show last night, and Stig flat out said that they didn't defend the run at times. He said if UND had any sort of ground game, they will be a very scary team. YEP, we all agree Stig!

Montana will rush for over 300 yds in this game. If i was a UND fan id be worried about matching Montana's intensity. We're gonna come out swinging. We know what we need to take care of and as long as everyone can cover their assignment I dont see us losing this game.. No disrespect to your progam..

The X factor will be Jordan Johnson. We played two RS Freshman last year at QB that couldnt move the chains and our defense was on the field way too much. Jordan knows how to move those chains and he will eat up the clock leaving our D rested to take on your passing attack. Cant wait for Saturday.

They had depth a safety. They had nothing beyond the starters at LB. They would have been screwed if one or more of them had gone down.

Arguably their best defensive player didn't play ALL last year and their D was still the best in FCS. No reason UND shouldn't be able to replace Goodman Saturday with something other than a warm body IMO.

Montana will rush for over 300 yds in this game. If i was a UND fan id be worried about matching Montana's intensity. We're gonna come out swinging. We know what we need to take care of and as long as everyone can cover their assignment I dont see us losing this game.. No disrespect to your progam..

The X factor will be Jordan Johnson. We played two RS Freshman last year at QB that couldnt move the chains and our defense was on the field way too much. Jordan knows how to move those chains and he will eat up the clock leaving our D rested to take on your passing attack. Cant wait for Saturday.

If the bolded statement happens, this is an easy win for the Griz.

The whole first half looked like the Sioux we wandering around the field with their heads cut-off...

The whole first half? Like when we marched down the field and scored first and then were marching down the field again to go up 14-0 until that int? Bartels int and fumble put the d in a bad spot and killed momentum. That's not a Mussman thing. So did you really mean the whole first half?

I don't disagree that Montana will move the ball, but what is different about your pass D this year? You gave up a Big Sky record amount of yards to a QB and WR. (Montana State shut the same duo down immediately after)

Throwing a bomb on 3rd and 1 the play before when the plan was to go for it on 4th down if it didn't work.

Going for it last season against NoCo on 4th and 1 when we had an all-conference kicker.

Going conservative with the lead against Fresno St.

Calling timeouts early in the 4th quarter when we know we're going to need them at the end of the game.

Attempting to rotate QBs against EWU. Not playing any running backs other than our 165 lb senior. Trying to run that 165 lb senior up the middle rather than setting up screens for him or throwing the ball to him in the flats (with how teams are beginning to pass rush against us, knowing that we can't run, I think a RB screen would work quite well).

That 'bomb' was the right audible. 1 on 1 press coverage on Jameer Jackson. The defense had the box stacked. If you don't take that throw you aren't coached up properly. You go by the matchups you get and they took the best oportunity. If that ball wasn't dropped everyone on here would have raved about Mussmans balls and how smart that call was to catch them off guard.

Swirling wind on that day. Less than a yard on one play even against 12 defends should be attainable. He showed balls and got screwed and people call him out. He learned he needs to be more aggressive from the Fresno game. He learned from his mistake.

I also thought he should have been more aggressive vs Fresno but at the same time he had Joey Bradley at QB....

If you are referring to last game that TO was called because they had only 10 on the field. That's on the one player for not being aware. It's not like they haven't practiced that play before.

I agree with both of these bottom points. They did do a couple screens but it's tough to have a good screen if a team isn't blitzing. Remember SDSU was usually only rushing 4. That means 3 LBs in coverage that could blow up a screen.

I don't disagree that Montana will move the ball, but what is different about your pass D this year? You gave up a Big Sky record amount of yards to a QB and WR. (Montana State shut the same duo down immediately after)

Last year our DB's were greenhorns. We were giving you guys way too much room to work with. Many times they were lined up 8-10 yds from your receivers. We also had our LB's lined up out there on an island with your receivers too when we should have been playing in a nickle or dime package and they couldnt keep up.

Our defense was also on the field way too much last year and it showed in the 2nd half when you torched us. They wont be on the field as much as they were last year. This year our secondary has been playing very well. They've been going up against probably one of the best QB's in the conference this year in practice. I know its practice but still it carries over to the actual game. I was really impressed on how they played against App St granted they were without their best WR.

Alot of times when a team play Montana they lose the next week. There's always a let down. Ive seen it happen way too many times.

Arguably their best defensive player didn't play ALL last year and their D was still the best in FCS. No reason UND shouldn't be able to replace Goodman Saturday with something other than a warm body IMO.

I get it. Heagle is awesome. Remember what the point was. DEPTH. They didn't have it at LB last year. They did at safety.

If the bolded statement happens, this is an easy win for the Griz.

If the boldest statement happens in any game that team wins easily.

I don't agree with many of Muss's game decisions, but I'm sure he makes the decisions he does because he feels it gives UND the best chance to win. I'm sure it's also much easier for me to make decisions from my couch or the stands than it is for him on the field. Some examples include situations that have been talked about on this site many times: Going for it last season against NoCo on 4th and 1 when we had an all-conference kicker. Throwing a bomb on 3rd and 1 the play before when the plan was to go for it on 4th down if it didn't work. Calling timeouts early in the 4th quarter when we know we're going to need them at the end of the game. Going conservative with the lead against Fresno St. Attempting to rotate QBs against EWU. Not playing any running backs other than our 165 lb senior. Trying to run that 165 lb senior up the middle rather than setting up screens for him or throwing the ball to him in the flats (with how teams are beginning to pass rush against us, knowing that we can't run, I think a RB screen would work quite well).

I certainly don't agree with everything he has done or any other coach I have even been around for that matter, but he clearly has reason for making certain decisions. I still have no clue why he didn't let other RB's have a shot against SDSU but I would bet it would have to do with things like blocking, knowing assignments, and ability to catch out of the backfield. Miller has some big play ability but I would like to see someone else get a shot. I was also frustrated with the timeout situation on Saturday as I am sure the coaching staff was as well. But if a player brain farts and doesn't get on the field or lines up wrong and forces them to call a time out, coaches can't do much about that other than reteach and if the problem continues sit the player out.

Our pass D is still suspect, there were times when App State had guys open in the middle of the field but their QB was running for his life and couldn't hit them. I think that will make some of the difference this year, we have 10 starters returning on defense and they're healthy, should be able to put more pressure on the QB and force quicker throws. Had a lot of pressure on the App St QB and this week the big boy Takai will be back so that will help too.

But the biggest thing for our defense will be the Johnson-led offense actually taking some time off the clock, last year the defense lived on the field and were gassed by the 3rd quarter most games.

But after last year and being this early in the season, pass defense is still the number one question mark for Montana, and UND will be as big a test as anybody to see where it's at.

Last year our DB's were greenhorns. We were giving you guys way too much room to work with. Many times they were lined up 8-10 yds from your receivers. We also had our LB's lined up out there on an island with your receivers too when we should have been playing in a nickle or dime package and they couldnt keep up.

Our defense was also on the field way too much last year and it showed in the 2nd half when you torched us. They wont be on the field as much as they were last year. This year our secondary has been playing very well. They've been going up against probably one of the best QB's in the conference this year in practice. I know its practice but still it carries over to the actual game. I was really impressed on how they played against App St granted they were without their best WR.

Alot of times when a team play Montana they lose the next week. There's always a let down. Ive seen it happen way too many times.

So your going to press our wrs on Saturday?

How good is the App St team you beat?