SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana @ North Dakota

homer

Saturday the Grizzlies make their return to Grand Forks and will want revenge from the game last season. I have heard they are bringing a pretty good crowd with them again so it should be a pretty fun game inside the Alerus. Tailgating last season with the Grizz fans who made the trip was almost as fun as the game itself.

There are still a lot of questions after last weeks game that need to be answered about this North Dakota team. Who is at QB? Do any other RBs get some carries? Can our OL play better? Does the defense play with the effort from the last quarter and a half vs. SDSU? I'd like to think that there will be some shuffling of the depth chart based on the play of some guys on Saturday. What are everyone's thoughts?

Link from last years game for those that need a reminder.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=6399&DB_OEM_ID=13500&ATCLID=205716806

I would like to think that other RB's will get carries but for some reason they tend to stick with Miller. I gave Miller a chance over the last couple years but I have to believe there is someone else who can break a tackle.

As for defense I noticed Mike Edwards was able to get a push against a very stout SDSU D. The question is will they play to win in the first half by putting in the right guys from the beginning?

Johnson is back at QB for Griz after a messy legal issue and will be a big upgrade offensively and getting a transfer RB from Marshall won't hurt them either. This Griz team will be better on both sides of the ball than last year. Last was an abberation for Montana. They are back IMO.

For UND to stay close and have a chance to win: 1) Have to run the ball with some success. Miller isn't the answer for 60 minutes. 2) STOP THE RUN. I don't care what happened in the 2nd half vs. Jacks. 295 to one RB is pathetic. 3) Avoid the costly miscues...TOs and stupid penalties. Have to show some amount of discipline.

UND showed stretches of very good play Saturday. Stretches this Saturday won't get it done vs. the Griz though.

• Upvote 3

Looking forward to this weekends game. We looked pretty good in our home opener against App St. Its really nice have Jordan "The Playmaker" Johnson back. The guy just doesnt make any mistakes. He'll take what the defense gives him. We switched up our offense this year from a read option attack to more of a pro style offense. Against App St, two of our RB's went for over a 100 yds with two scores a piece. Travon Van and Jordan Canada will be getting most of the carries. Johnson likes to spread the ball around in the passing game. He connected with 10 guys the last game so like i was saying he takes what you give him..

Defense looks like they have stepped it up from the last time you have played them. It will be a good test to see where we're at in our pass defense. Our D-line and LB's are very talented. It looks like this year our DB's will be playing a lot closer to your WR's this year and we wont be linning up 10 yards from them. Our Saftey play as also gotten better as well.

We have a huge O-line and we're gonna play into our strength which is running the ball which will set up our passing game. We want you guys to keep guessing what we're gonna do. This isnt the same team you shredded last year, looking forward to a great game. Hope everyone comes away healthy after this week. Best of luck UND!

• Upvote 2

Not sure what to think of the Griz. The win against App St lost some of its shine this weekend with App falling to NCA&T in Boone. Having Johnson back will definitely improve their offense. My guess is another shootout. I see a big day for Golladay because Hardin is going to be getting a lot attention after last year's performance.

I see the Griz trying to get the early lead using balance on offense and then controlling the clock by pounding the ball with their 2 quality RBs. Slowing down their running attack is key for UND. I think UND will get points to stay close...at least for awhile.

Not sure what to think of the Griz. The win against App St lost some of its shine this weekend with App falling to NCA&T in Boone. Having Johnson back will definitely improve their offense. My guess is another shootout. I see a big day for Golladay because Hardin is going to be getting a lot attention after last year's performance.

I don't know how good App State really is, we turned the ball over twice inside their 15 and had the ball at their 5 at the end of the game and kneeled it out, really should have put 40-50 points on them. Their QB took a lot of hits and was knocked out of the game for about a quarter and never looked like the guy who threw for over 3000 yards last year, they just didn't look like what you normally see from Appy.

I see the Griz trying to get the early lead using balance on offense and then controlling the clock by pounding the ball with their 2 quality RBs. Slowing down their running attack is key for UND. I think UND will get points to stay close...at least for awhile.

You are correct. We also implemented a FB who is a transfer from Boise St and he is really good at creating holes for the RB's

• Upvote 1

Montana is a stellar program. For some reason they don't scare me like some other Big Sky programs. We seem to match up better with them than with other teams. We played them tough in 2010 when we really sucked, and beat them last year. Ironically, I feel better going into this game with the Griz, than I did going into the SDSU game, and the Jackrabbits are a team that we have historically had our way with. They will be better than they were last year, especally with the return of their QB. But it I think North Dakota is better than last year as well. The jury is still out on the run defense obviously. But like I said in another thread, the D seemed to be able to get off the field in key situations last Saturday. They will need to tighten things up for sure, but as good as the Grizzly running attack is, it is not nearly as good as SDSU's.

I'm not gonna make a score predicition, but I think it will be another close game either way......................

Montana 246 rushing yds per game

South Dakota St 243 rushing yds per game

Montana's offense is totally different from last year. We will dominate the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. You guys struggled last week in the run game. What do you have planned to stop it?

I'd say that playing the personnel that we used in the end of the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter would be a start. THey were able to stop the Jacks and force them to throw.