SiouxSports.com Forum

Montana @ North Dakota

homer

I would be careful what you say on here. I personally have attended every football game game this year; in addiction to each of the tournament volleyball games and part of today's UND/NDSU soccer Match. Also I have to disagree with many of you. I see fans cheering, were as I have not been able to get regular fans sitting by the students off their feet. Even after we fell down late in the third by three tuchdowns I was working to get the crowd involved and not just the students.

Was that choice of word a product of the recent discussion :)

I would be careful what you say on here. I personally have attended every football game game this year; in addiction to each of the tournament volleyball games and part of today's UND/NDSU soccer Match. Also I have to disagree with many of you. I see fans cheering, were as I have not been able to get regular fans sitting by the students off their feet. Even after we fell down late in the third by three tuchdowns I was working to get the crowd involved and not just the students.

I was on my feet and working on losing my voice during the 4th quarter last week, although its not because of your encouragement. I will say you definitely do your part to get the crowd involved though. Students were involved in the game until SDSU got to 35 points, then they were gone. Don't get me wrong, the students have done a great job showing up and cheering. They just do it for three quarters and leave (can't blame them for leaving early in week one). I was so hoping we would have come back and forced OT/beat SDSU so the people who left early would've felt they missed out and perhaps they would stick around a little longer next time. At least attendance is better (especially the students) and more people are staying past halftime...hopefully that trend continues.

Montana opens at -8 according to 5dimes.

Sounds about right to me. My original guess in another thread was -7.

Big difference though laying down real coin at -7 vs -8. If I were to bet I'd definitely take UND +8 at home. Bet enough games back in the day to know a home dog getting a TD+ is the proper bet...most of the time.

I could see a very similar final score from last Saturday or of course a UND win. :)

I think the student section is starting to get a bit of momentum going.

I'm hopeful that someday it can get back to what it was on a Saturday against North Alabama......the Alerus was vibrating that day....

At the same time being in the FCS, I think teams are more prepared for the crowd noise and deal with it a lot better. I mean I don't think the crowd should phase Eastern Washington after they hung 49 on Oregon State.

• Upvote 1

Muss referenced something on his show with Hammer which underscores another reason I don't like rotating QBs. He said they'd settle in on a starter later this week and both guys with play with the 1s this week. This team, particularly with a freshman starter, cannot afford to limit the QBs reps with the 1s. He needs all the practice reps he can get with the 1s if UND is going to beat Montana this year, IMHO.

• Upvote 3

Muss referenced something on his show with Hammer which underscores another reason I don't like rotating QBs. He said they'd settle in on a starter later this week and both guys with play with the 1s this week. This team, particularly with a freshman starter, cannot afford to limit the QBs reps with the 1s. He needs all the practice reps he can get with the 1s if UND is going to beat Montana this year, IMHO.

I agree, and that also was one of my concerns during fall camp. If you don't let the QB settle in and get the reps, the two QBs will make mistakes/turnovers that will lose you the game (see last week). Especially in the beginning of the season, where the schedule features the most difficult opponents. If Mollberg has the hot hand early on Saturday, Mussman better let him play the entire game!

• Upvote 1

I agree, and that also was one of my concerns during fall camp. If you don't let the QB settle in and get the reps, how are we going to limit the mistakes that cost teams the game (see last week)? Especially in the beginning of the season, where the schedule features the most difficult opponents. If Mollberg has the hot hand early on Saturday, Mussman better let him play the entire game!

He will. He's not a moron.

Big Sky Extra: Montana Grizzly Notebook

It was with respect that the University of North Dakota took the field last October against Montana.

By the end UND had earned plenty of respect for itself.

“It was a big game for us coming in, playing Montana – an established program already in the Big Sky,” star UND receiver Greg Hardin said. “We’re coming in and we just wanted to make a name for ourselves.”

UND made a name to the tune of 704 yards of total offense, including 333 receiving yards from Hardin, which set a Big Sky record. Hardin hauled in the game-winning pass with 12 seconds to play in UND’s 40-34 victory.

I was on my feet and working on losing my voice during the 4th quarter last week, although its not because of your encouragement. I will say you definitely do your part to get the crowd involved though. Students were involved in the game until SDSU got to 35 points, then they were gone. Don't get me wrong, the students have done a great job showing up and cheering. They just do it for three quarters and leave (can't blame them for leaving early in week one). I was so hoping we would have come back and forced OT/beat SDSU so the people who left early would've felt they missed out and perhaps they would stick around a little longer next time. At least attendance is better (especially the students) and more people are staying past halftime...hopefully that trend continues.

Last year it was 1 half and then they left....... baby steps.

He will. He's not a moron.

And yet he's purposefully limiting the first team reps for both guys.

Look at it from this perspective: you have a huge game this week with a team you think is even better than the #6 ranked team that just beat you at home. So, do you get as many first team reps as possible for your freshman QB? Nope. You purposfully decrease his first team reps by splitting time with the other QB.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here by saying that's not every coach's formula for success. Even if you think Bartels will play, for goodness' sake Muss, give Joe as much time with the first team offense as possible!

• Upvote 2

Look at it from this perspective: you have a huge game this week with a team you think is even better than the #6 ranked team that just beat you at home. So, do you get as many first team reps as possible for your freshman QB? Nope. You purposfully decrease his first team reps by splitting time with the other QB.

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here by saying that's not every coach's formula for success. Even if you think Bartels will play, for goodness' sake Muss, give Joe as much time with the first team offense as possible!

This is a very narrow view of the situation!

If Joe is your guy this week, he needs to get all the 1st team reps...period. How about putting Joe in the best possible position to succeed and not concerning yourself if Bartels might play or not because may struggle.

UND needs to start one QB and stick with him. This duo QB thing failed last year. UND never did this before last season, why now? Tryouts are over, that is done in camp you should know which one is better.

You should if your coaching staff is not blind and oblivious...not saying they are just stating a general opinion.

• Upvote 2

UND needs to start one QB and stick with him. This duo QB thing failed last year. UND never did this before last season, why now? Tryouts are over, that is done in camp you should know which one is better.

By your logic, Bartels finishes the game last week. And the coaches get absolutely roasted for not trying something different because what they were doing wasn't working.

As has been stated over and over again, these guys are extremely young and have seen barely any game action. Practices aren't the same as a real game and you don't know what you have until you see it on the field. One of them needs to show they have "it" in a game. Mollberg took a decent step in that direction last week. I'm sure the coaches would be more than happy to give the reins to one guy and let him run with it. Hasn't happened yet.

• Upvote 2

By your logic, Bartels finishes the game last week. And the coaches get absolutely vilified for not trying something different because what they were doing wasn't working.

As has been stated over and over again, these guys are extremely young and have seen barely any game action. Practices aren't the same as a real game and you don't know what you have until you see it on the field. One of them needs to show they have "it" in a game. Mollberg took a decent step in that direction last week. I'm sure the coaches would be more than happy to give the reins to one guy and let him run with it. Hasn't happened yet.

So why did Muss do the duo thing last year with 2 senior QB's? Is this a new Muss trend, play 2 QB's in every game. Yes Bartels should have finished the game if he was named the starter, like I said camp should prove who the better player is. How did Hanson get the job over Hendrickson last year? If he wasn't the clear QB because against MSU and I think EWU Muss used the duo QB thing. Its NOT working. Pick one!!

So why did Muss do the duo thing last year with 2 senior QB's? Is this a new Muss trend, play 2 QB's in every game. Yes Bartels should have finished the game if he was named the starter, like I said camp should prove who the better player is. How did Hanson get the job over Hendrickson last year? If he wasn't the clear QB because against MSU and I think EWU Muss used the duo QB thing. Its NOT working. Pick one!!

Muss didn't do last game what he did last year. Last year he tried rotating quarterbacks, it didn't work. This year, he pulled a struggling freshman to see what the other freshman could provide. Seemed to provide a spark. Bartels didn't come back in once Mollberg was on the field. If you can't see the difference then I can't help you.

So your logic is once camp is over, the depth chart is set and it shouldn't change?

Muss didn't do last game what he did last year. Last year he tried rotating quarterbacks, it didn't work. This year, he pulled a struggling freshman to see what the other freshman could provide. Seemed to provide a spark. Bartels didn't come back in once Mollberg was on the field. If you can't see the difference then I can't help you.

So your logic is once camp is over, the depth chart is set and it shouldn't change?

So if Mollberg struggles go back to Bartles, and if he does okay then start him against Montana State? So do this for the next 4 years? Also if both struggle do you put in Jake Hanson?

So if Mollberg struggles go back to Bartles, and if he does okay then start him against Montana State? So do this for the next 4 years? Also if both struggle do you put in Jake Hanson?

If Mollberg plays a terrible first half, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Bartels come out and start the second half. And at some point, a coach assumes that one of the two separates himself. And Jake Hanson has nothing to do wtih the conversation. He was not in the conversation as a starter (1A and 1B).

Muss is getting hammered (rightfully so) for sticking with Miller at RB, which isn't working. But you want him to do that exact same thing at QB. I'm not saying they should rotate, but if one of them is absolutely not getting it done, why are you going to leave him out there when the other guy offers a slightly different skill set that may translate better. Bring him in and let him finish the game. As I keep saying, these guys are young and barely have any game experience above college, the coaches aren't real sure what they have. They need to have real playing time to see which one will be "the guy".

If Mollberg plays a terrible first half, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Bartels come out and start the second half. And at some point, a coach assumes that one of the two separates himself. And Jake Hanson has nothing to do wtih the conversation. He was not in the conversation as a starter (1A and 1B).

Muss is getting hammered (rightfully so) for sticking with Miller at RB, which isn't working. But you want him to do that exact same thing at QB. I'm not saying they should rotate, but if one of them is absolutely not getting it done, why are you going to leave him out there when the other guy offers a slightly different skill set that may translate better. Bring him in and let him finish the game. As I keep saying, these guys are young and barely have any game experience above college, the coaches aren't real sure what they have. They need to have real playing time to see which one will be "the guy".

So why didn't Muss recruit a QB earlier that way you don't have this problem. Hey Muss players do graduate...you can recruit a QB when your starters are Juniors.

So why didn't Muss recruit a QB earlier that way you don't have this problem. Hey Muss players do graduate...you can recruit a QB when your starters are Juniors.

He did. Demler and Comes both left the team after 1 and 2 years respectively and Bradley only made it one year. There was a QB in each class (excluding a redshirt) in 2011. Two of those QB's graduated, 2 left the program. That is where the hole occured. And after how the last JuCo experience went, I see why Mussman didn't try again. A guy like Hanson is a very rare occurence.

Here's what the QB roster has looked like since 2009:

Landry - Jr

Goska - So

Hendrickson - RFr

Nichols - RFr

Townsend - Fr

Landry - Sr

Goska - Jr

Nichols - So

Hendrickson - So

Demler - Fr

Comes - Fr

Goska - Sr

Hendrickson - Jr

Bradley - So

Comes - RFr

B. Hanson - Sr

Hendrickson - Sr

Bartels - Fr

J. Hanson - Fr

Mollberg - Fr

Bartels - RFr

J. Hanson - RFr

Mollberg - RFr

Riddle - Fr (has left team)

Palendech - Fr

QB's recruited by year:

2009 - 1

2010 - 2

2011 - 0

2012 - 3

2013 - 2

He did. Demler and Comes both left the team after 1 and 2 years respectively and Bradley only made it one year. There was a QB in each class (excluding a redshirt) in 2011. Two of those QB's graduated, 2 left the program. That is where the hole occured. And after how the last JuCo experience went, I see why Mussman didn't try again. A guy like Hanson is a very rare occurence.

Here's what the QB roster has looked like since 2009:

Landry - Jr

Goska - So

Hendrickson - RFr

Nichols - RFr

Townsend - Fr

Landry - Sr

Goska - Jr

Nichols - So

Hendrickson - So

Demler - Fr

Comes - Fr