SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics High Performance Center

GeauxSioux

There's conflicting information on whether UND is using the turf from the Alerus or not. I (and others) were under the assumption they were but VMeister said they weren't.  I've never seen it confirmed one way or another.

That VMeister is usually pretty reliable. Must be correct.

That VMeister is usually pretty reliable. Must be correct.

No argument from me on that.  Its why I took the time to hunt down the comment, I knew someone with quality insight must have mentioned it otherwise I wouldn't have remembered it.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. The Al would look completely different with some big windows along the walkways.

I'm not sure that would work so well on the north end as all you'd see is the ballroom and the Canad Inn. 

But on the south end, yes, something like what they did in the HPC would open the place up. 

I'm not sure that would work so well on the north end as all you'd see is the ballroom and the Canad Inn.

But on the south end, yes, something like what they did in the HPC would open the place up.

Haha. Good point.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure does.  So do they lay down turf in the corners of the endzone when they practice?  Kind of annoying how the field gets cut off...  Feel like players might get hurt falling on the track.

The corners of the end zone will be cut off to make room for the track. I was wondering the same things regarding injuries. I'd imagine that they will lay some sort of temporary turf or padding down during practice. Anyone know for sure?

Wow, very impressive. This will have a big impact on not only recruiting but also athlete development. I think baseball, soccer, and softball will also benefit a great deal. Looks plenty high enough to take fly balls in.

I wonder if they could break phase 2 up into separate chunks so they don't have to wait for all the money before starting construction. First phase football offices, locker rooms, weight room,study room, lounge. Second phase track locker room whatever other offices and amenities were going there. Just thinking if the total price tag on phase 2 is 12 million and you broke it up into two 6 million dollar phases you could start construction on part of it sooner. Football success is probably what will drive donations for this so that is why I put finishing their area first a bigger priority than the rest. They start making the playoffs regularly those donations come easier.

The corners of the end zone will be cut off to make room for the track. I was wondering the same things regarding injuries. I'd imagine that they will lay some sort of temporary turf or padding down during practice. Anyone know for sure?

From what I've seen, that's pretty standard for this type of facility.  I've never seen anything extra put down in the corners.  The main thing they'll be doing in this building is drills.  Full on scrimmages will be done at Memorial or the Alerus.

Its a football stadium with a track around it. Did people expect it to be small?

There is big and there is BIG. When SDSU opened their indoor facility last year, it was the largest in Division I, at 149,000 square feet. UND's is 180,000 square feet.