SiouxSports.com Forum

UND Athletics High Performance Center

GeauxSioux

did they give any indication on where they are at with fund raising for Phase 2?

I have not heard anything recently. Guessing there is still a decent way to go as they pushed a couple smaller items out of Phase I to make sure it got completed and made them separate add-ons for later that can be done at any time (seating is the main one).

I have not heard anything recently. Guessing there is still a decent way to go as they pushed a couple smaller items out of Phase I to make sure it got completed and made them separate add-ons for later that can be done at any time (seating is the main one).

So is there a big space of bare floor between the west wall and where the track starts or where will the seating be going?  It didn't look like there was much space between the track and the walls in any of the pictures.

So is there a big space of bare floor between the west wall and where the track starts or where will the seating be going?  It didn't look like there was much space between the track and the walls in any of the pictures.

Correct.  Currently it is bare concrete that is more or less being used to store extra equipment. This is the best picture I could find that gives a general idea (stolen from Peter Johnson's twitter), there is more room there than it looks like in the picture. However I don't think there was a ton of seating planned to begin with (1000-1500?), so its not an excessive amount considering the length available to put the seating in (100+yards).

CTaOD1fVEAAYTva.jpg:large

Correct.  Currently it is bare concrete that is more or less being used to store extra equipment. This is the best picture I could find that gives a general idea (stolen from Peter Johnson's twitter), there is more room there than it looks like in the picture. However I don't think there was a ton of seating planned to begin with (1000-1500?), so its not an excessive amount considering the length available to put the seating in (100+yards).

CTaOD1fVEAAYTva.jpg:large

Ah that's a much better picture.  Is there storage space for soccer nets/hurdles/other equipment already attached to the building or will that be in Phase 2?

Congrats to UND!  Very nice facility. I like the two-toned track surface. I will make a point of driving up to Grand Forks some day to see the facility.

To give some who have not viewed a 300-meter track a little perspective: lane 8 on the 300-meter track is about the same as lane 1 of a 400 meter track.  A 300-meter track has corners that are closer to a 400-meter track. You can run a 100-meter dash on one of the straightaways of that track!

I ran track and I have long legs.  I resented the way some real short tracks (while 200-meters is the common indoor track length, there are lots of oddball sizes like 11- and 12-laps to the mile tracks; many 180-meter tracks etc) gave an advantage to  short guys who could hang on those corners better. Many of those guys faded in the outdoor season.  Served them right. Damn runts. ;)  A 300-meter track is a great length.

Your facility is larger than SDSU's.  SDSU's facility is configured a little differently -- maybe wider and shorter.  SDSU's facility has seating for something like 1500 to close to 2000 on the start/finish stretch of the SDSU track (I think it'll seat between 1500 and 2000).  For those who want to take a look, here's a link to SDSU's site with pictures of its SJAC: http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209449532&DB_OEM_ID=15000&DB_OEM_ID=15000

I'm very impressed by UND's ability to get that facility in place for $18 mm (I know there's a phase two coming).  SDSU's facility cost $32 million (like UND's HPC, all donated). We badly needed to upgrade weight rooms, athletic training facilities etc. so that was included in our price tag. 

Looks great...from this former college runner (SDSU) and the dad of two college runners (also Jackrabbits): thanks for investing in track and field.

Thanks for coming on to post.  You have a beautiful indoor practice facility!

The "field" in SDSU's facility is shorter than UND'S.  SDSU's has an 80 yard field with an end zone on each end for a total of 100 yards. SDSU has jump- and field events areas outside the turf but inside the track (much like many 400-meter outdoor tracks). I understand UND'S facility has a total of 120 yards--100 yard field with an end zone on each end; and UND'S facility is so large that all field events areas are outside the track.  That's a unique and very nice feature for an indoor facility. 

The endzone corners at each facility are rounded because of the track.   The corners are clipped just a little at the SDSU facility (but, again, it has a total 100 yard field surface compared to UND'S 120 yard surface). I haven't figured out how the tracks are configured but there may be some slight differences on turn radii etc to fit the UND track around 120 yards while the SDSU track is wrapped around 100 yards. I think one would need a photo from the ceiling of each facility to see how they each fit.

If I am recalling correctly, the UND facility is considerably larger than the SDSU facility -- maybe as much as like 30,000 square feet?  I think SDSU's is about 150,000 sq ft while UND'S is 180,000.  Those are big buildings! (Our old west-side grandstands at the football stadium, including the press box on top, would easily fit within the SDSU building.

Another poster asked when the SDSU facility would be finished. I detected a little snark in the question but I'll respond as though the question was serious.  The facility is essentially finished and was opened for use a year ago. The facility has a lot of natural lighting because of the ribbon of structural light-permitting panels that can be seen in the pictures. If you are inside the facility during daylight hours you will appreciate the natural lighting.  We have a nice Daktonics board installed which gives near-instant results for the track and field events. 

Edited by JackJD
  • Upvote 1

Here's a few more pictures of the SDSU facility that show the layout a little better. Both facilities have small pluses and minuses over each other but without a doubt, both are currently some of the nicest in the nation at any level.

The thing that I'm most jealous about is that SDSU now has their football facilities (locker rooms, coach's offices) upgraded along with their weight/strength training, sports medicine and training rooms, all of which UND won't have until Phase II is completed. Hopefully people seeing how Phase I turned out will build momentum for Phase II.

detected a little snark in the question but I'll respond as though the question was serious.  

It was snark, but good natured snark. We're good at that around here. :D

Considering the schools these two facilities are at, UND and SDSU should be very proud of what they have. 

Even moreso when you realize you don't need a tire pump to keep the roof up. ;) 

• Upvote 1

The "field" in SDSU's facility is shorter than UND'S.  SDSU's has an 80 yard field with an end zone on each end for a total of 100 yards. SDSU has jump- and field events areas outside the turf but inside the track (much like many 400-meter outdoor tracks). I understand UND'S facility has a total of 120 yards--100 yard field with an end zone on each end; and UND'S facility is so large that all field events areas are outside the track.  That's a unique and very nice feature for an indoor facility. 

The endzone corners at each facility are rounded because of the track.   The corners are clipped just a little at the SDSU facility (but, again, it has a total 100 yard field surface compared to UND'S 120 yard surface). I haven't figured out how the tracks are configured but there may be some slight differences on turn radii etc to fit the UND track around 120 yards while the SDSU track is wrapped around 100 yards. I think one would need a photo from the ceiling of each facility to see how they each fit.

If I am recalling correctly, the UND facility is considerably larger than the SDSU facility -- maybe as much as like 30,000 square feet?  I think SDSU's is about 150,000 sq ft while UND'S is 180,000.  Those are big buildings! (Our old west-side grandstands at the football stadium, including the press box on top, would easily fit within the SDSU building.

Another poster asked when the SDSU facility would be finished. I detected a little snark in the question but I'll respond as though the question was serious.  The facility is essentially finished and was opened for use a year ago. The facility has a lot of natural lighting because of the ribbon of structural light-permitting panels that can be seen in the pictures. If you are inside the facility during daylight hours you will appreciate the natural lighting.  We have a nice Daktonics board installed which gives near-instant results for the track and field events. 

I was hoping we'd have more windows, but sounds like they were left out due to keeping building cooler in summer.  My understanding is UND doesn't have AC???  Does SDSU?

• 3 weeks later...

I thought SDSU's facility has A/C but I did a little searching to see if my recollection is accurate -- can't substantiate it.  So, I don't know if the SDSU facility has A/C.

I suppose AC isn't a priority for either facility as many would rather be outside in the summer. I think the best benefit of these two facilities is the huge practice space available in the cold winter / spring months. 

Here's SDSU's finished walls:

TNBCSGLPPWIRQYO.20150120154324.JPG

The more I compare the two facilities the more I'm impressed with UND's.

Field goal posts (Maybe SDSU's are portable?)

Multitone track.

UND's sweet multitone turf.

The walls.

The light ring that goes around it.

Can't tell by the pictures but looks like the actual turf of UND's is more grass like. (maybe its the same?)

UND's turf stretches the entire length of the track and is a "full" 100 yards.

Edited by Cratter
  • Upvote 2

The biggest issue is the orange on the steel supports... can they not afford paint?  Is there a plan to finish the walls off in a way that looks a little better?  Phase II?

Orange or yellow are standard alertness colors for safety.  If someone runs into a steel support, that could be serious.  Orange paint warns that an encounter is close.

• Upvote 1

SDSU's facility is extremely impressive.  UND's is as well.

No reason for anyone to be snarky.