SiouxSports.com Forum

Dacotah Legacy Collection

jdub27

28 minutes ago, petey23 said:

The Logo is NEVER going away......and it shouldn't ever go away completely. I know that our education system is rewriting history books but the Sioux name should always remain a part of UND's history.

<golf clap>

2 hours ago, Big Green said:

If the Sioux Logo and Name is so offensive the NCAA/UND should have retired the Logo and name never to be manufactured by them again.   It all about the money.  Fear that no one would purchase UND or Fighting Hawk merchandise if able to purchase Sioux merchandise from another source.  Once again the NCAA proves how hypocritical they are.

That's the irony - it is impossible to retire a logo/name the only way to prevent its use is for the owner of the logo/name to keep using it - otherwise it becomes public domain and  with all the technology it would be easy to replicate the logo. 

10 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

That's the irony - it is impossible to retire a logo/name the only way to prevent its use is for the owner of the logo/name to keep using it - otherwise it becomes public domain and  with all the technology it would be easy to replicate the logo. 

By retire I mean quite using it.  If it is offensive don't use it.  Can't have it both way's.  If someone else uses it so be it.

10 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Does Marquette still sell Warrior gear to save the trademark? Arkansas State? Stanford? Seems like I have only heard of one school on the retired NA list doing this and thats UND.

On 2/10/2016 at 0:31 PM, Cratter said:

"Months after choosing a new nickname, schools hockey arena sells new order of old nickname clothing."

I was close. 

"New Fighting Sioux merchandise for sale three months after nickname selection"

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3949473-new-fighting-sioux-merchandise-sale-three-months-after-nickname-selection

On 2/12/2016 at 1:51 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Illinois didnt retire the name that I know of. They just got rid of the Indian war dance and they no longer play for the peace pipe against Northwestern. The NCAA ran in to a hang up with the Illini as they are extinct and have been for some time.

3 hours ago, bison73 said:

Illinois didnt retire the name that I know of. They just got rid of the Indian war dance and they no longer play for the peace pipe against Northwestern. The NCAA ran in to a hang up with the Illini as they are extinct and have been for some time.

They had an Indian image on their jerseys (Chief Illiniwek) and to comply with the NCAA's NA policy got rid of all Indian association. Fighting Illini can be associated with someone from Illinois( the state not the tribe ;)).

8 hours ago, Cratter said:

I was close. 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/education/3949473-new-fighting-sioux-merchandise-sale-three-months-after-nickname-selection

Must be a slow news day over at the Heraldo.

5 hours ago, darell1976 said:

They had an Indian image on their jerseys (Chief Illiniwek) and to comply with the NCAA's NA policy got rid of all Indian association. Fighting Illini can be associated with someone from Illinois( the state not the tribe ;)).

Weren't we always told they also had to drop the "Fighting" and just be the "Illini"?

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

I was close. 

Sorry if I hurt peoples feeling with this comment, but selling the least amount of merchandise as little as they have to is the option that Schafer and UND need to do.  If the goal of the University is in fact to market the new name and logo with UND and move forward, that is the best option that they must do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxforcefans said:

Weren't we always told they also had to drop the "Fighting" and just be the "Illini"?

No. Fighting was never a problem for the NCAA. Look at all of the other nicknames that use Fighting. Some people assumed that using the word Fighting with a Native American word or name was the problem, but that was only true for a limited number of individuals and not the NCAA.

• Upvote 1

So they have the freedom to set "required" sales at, say one t-shirt (best for branding transition) or to make it unlimited (best for currently needed sales boost.)  The New Sioux gear does demonstrate at the very least a lack of commitment to the re-brand, no?

• Upvote 1

This part of the article brings up a question for me

UND must use the Fighting Sioux marks to keep its trademarks, but Schafer said "usage" isn't defined by the law, and so his office is now working on a definition UND can stand by.

With the assistance of legal counsel, Schafer's office will create a definition that stipulates how much, how often and where the university will use the marks.

"I don't see it as some kind of long process because usage isn't defined," Schafer said. "We can define it any way we want, we just have to make sure we have a reasonable chance at legal defense."

When they started this Collection, why wasn't this defined already?  Don't you think that would have been the first thing that should have been done when establishing it?

• Upvote 2