SiouxSports.com Forum

Dacotah Legacy Collection

jdub27

36 minutes ago, und1995 said:

Any reasoning as to why UND has asked all retailers to sell DLC items online as of November 1st? People not buying enough of the post office logo?

Because to retain the trademarks they have to be periodically used in commerce? 

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Because to retain the trademarks they have to be periodically used in commerce? 

Sorry, I forgot to include that they are no longer to be sold in stores. They can only be sold online per UND. My question is asking why the move to online only. 

4 minutes ago, und1995 said:

Sorry, I forgot to include that they are no longer to be sold in stores. They can only be sold online per UND. My question is asking why the move to online only. 

Good way to accentuate and promote the current brand and retain control/ownership of the old.

11 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Good way to accentuate and promote the current brand and retain control/ownership of the old.

Ah ... "friction".

If an DLC hat is in the store and you're walking by: easy.
If you have to actively seek it out online, there's a little extra friction in the purchase. 

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Ah ... "friction".

If an DLC hat is in the store and you're walking by: easy.
If you have to actively seek it out online, there's a little extra friction in the purchase. 

So you can no longer buy Legacy stuff in the Sioux Shop?  It has to be ordered online?

• 1 year later...
On 8/21/2013 at 2:23 PM, jdub27 said:

UND launches new Dacotah Legacy Collection

The University of North Dakota Athletics Department announced today the launch of the Dacotah Legacy Collection , a limited edition line of commemorative apparel, collectibles and memorabilia that celebrates the history and tradition of UND Athletics.

The first edition of the Dacotah Legacy Collection will go on sale Tuesday, Aug. 20, and will be sold exclusively at Scheels All Sports in Grand Forks and at the Sioux Shop at Ralph Engelstad Arena.

Additional items will be selected for production on a recurring basis and will be made available at the discretion of retail outlets after being purchased from licensed manufacturers.

The University of North Dakota is required by its 2007 settlement agreement with the NCAA to protect certain University trademarks. All manufacturers for the Dacotah Legacy Collection will be selected through Licensing Resource Group (LRG), UND’s licensing partner. Licensees with specific experience designing “throwback” or “legacy” collection items will be given consideration by LRG.

I see these being real popular. Here is the first item. Sounds like it may be sold out at the Sioux Shop already.994573_10151772763964284_1749876693_n.jpg

Does anyone know if the Dacotah Legacy collection is still sold at Scheels, and if not, does anyone know if it is exclusive to the Sioux Shop, and if so, why?

I was researching this a little bit because I really think a partnership between UND and Homefield Apparel could work out great, but I don't know if there is a hang up somewhere or if there is a reason why UND wouldn't want a company like Homefield Apparel to sell UND stuff..

I emailed UND's new Licensing person about Homefield and she replied by saying this: "I met with Homefield a couple weeks ago and had an introductory conversation with them. We are still working through this internally if we want to move forward with a license with them and what that would look like for us.  At this time I do not think it is a feasible timeline for Homefield to be carrying UND branded products by the end of this year.  If anything further comes from this I will be sure to let you know."

I followed up by replying with this email: "Thank you, Alyson.  Quick question - given that Homefield likes to use old logos, I would think that there could be a hangup with the Sioux logos; is the Dacotah Legacy stuff exclusive to the Sioux Shop?  I assume UND needs to figure out what they want to do in regard to branding strategy, given our unique history?  I hope you can work out a deal with them at some point, because they have fun and unique designs, and there aren't a ton of exciting options out there right now.  For the record, I asked about the Sioux Logo, but I have accepted UND's new logo and have/will purchase clothing with both logos.  A flickertails shirt would be fun as well, in addition to more football stuff!  Thanks for doing what you do!   :)"

I sent the follow up email twice and have not gotten a response, and it's been over a month now.  Does anyone have any insight into this and what the hangup may be for UND when tons of other schools are working with them?  I'm only asking here because my email was ignored.  I did a google search to see if the Legacy stuff was sold anywhere other than the Sioux Shop, and I found that a bunch of stuff that is sold at https://fightingsiouxforever.com/collections/legacy-fighting-sioux.  Does anyone know if that website is legit - are they selling officially licensed apparel? 

21 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

My (pure guess) is UND is very protective of that old logo and the NCAA agreement. They must protect the trademark (use it) but not promote it. Very fine line to walk. 

Do you know where I might be able to find that agreement online?

38 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

I did a google search to see if the Legacy stuff was sold anywhere other than the Sioux Shop, and I found that a bunch of stuff that is sold at https://fightingsiouxforever.com/collections/legacy-fighting-sioux.  Does anyone know if that website is legit - are they selling officially licensed apparel? 

There are a handful of people who have obtained Dacotah Legacy collection license (much more that haven't and print things anyway).

Another option for unlicensed retro gear is https://vintagebrand.com/p?tr=352
They are pretty clear that their items are licensed and based on the other colleges, it looks like they found things that were never trademarked and are selling those. 

• 1 month later...