SiouxSports.com Forum

Dacotah Legacy Collection

jdub27

23 minutes ago, obborg said:

The big deal is that someone somewhere created the impression that UND was simply hog-tied by the NCAA, and selling new FS merch was a requirement.  In fact, NCAA strong-arming has been greatly exaggerated throughout this process.

Then why wouldn't UND just use the Dacotah Legacy Collection as an excuse to keep rolling out Sioux merchandise? Financially it would be in UND's best interest to do so as Hawk's merchandise will be lucky to ever even provide 50% of the revenue that Sioux merchandise could.

• Upvote 1

Why would UND fight a contract requirement that they limit black market sales of UND-owned trademarks?  It is in UND's and the NCAA's interest that UND fans transition to the new name and logo.  The unlimited availability of fighting Sioux items would hinder that transition.  In order to maintain the trademark, limited sales of trademarked items must be made.  UND is making limited sales of Sioux items to prevent the unlimited sale of Sioux items.  It's not that difficult.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

EDIT: I wrote a reply to you, but then realized you're just working on a point of UND being behind the requirement.  Since you're not actually discussing the requirement's existence, or what UND has to do to follow that part of the settlement, I'm just going to step aside and let you continue your endless path.

Too bad you have no response because my original challenge was aimed at you, sounding like you knew what you were talking about.

3 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

In order to maintain the trademark, limited sales of trademarked items must be made.  UND is making limited sales of Sioux items to prevent the unlimited sale of Sioux items.  It's not that difficult.

Do you know these things, or are you simply accepting what you have heard?

20 minutes ago, obborg said:

In order to maintain the trademark, limited sales of trademarked items must be made.

This is actually the law to maintain a trademark.  Whether it was heard, read, or telepathically communicated does not change things.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, obborg said:

I know that UND has chosen to have limited sales of trademarked items in order to maintain those trademarks.  What is your conspiracy theory here?  That UND worked really hard to get rid of the Sioux name but at the same time keep it because they need it for money?

55 minutes ago, obborg said:

Too bad you have no response because my original challenge was aimed at you, sounding like you knew what you were talking about.

I provided you a simple resource to understand the legal side.  What specific info do you still require?  If you have an honest question (not theoretical, vague and open ended in an attempt to make some other undiscernible point) for me, I'll do my best to answer it.  I do some work with trademarks, and have a direct connection at the US patent office to use as a resource if you stump me.

My original post was simply a summary of the situation leading to the sale of these limited items.  It was for the people who were late to the party and had beaten the horse to death yet.  The rest of us, whose arms are tired, have since just been trying to figure out your angle. :silly:

2 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Cheering for the Fighting Hawks and revering our past great Fighting Sioux legacy and history are not mutually exclusive. It is possible to do both. If you want to continue to embrace the Fighting Sioux nickname then go nuts and do it. If people have an issue with it or criticize you for it, you'll just need to realize that it comes with the new territory moving forward.  Just like those that are overtly embracing the new FH nickname have to realize that the dirty looks and the shouting down of their "Go Hawks" cheers with "Sioux Forever" chants is also part of that new territory. For some people, being criticized for trying to hold on to the past is annoying, for others hearing their school's new nickname booed and drowned out by chants is annoying. Both opinions are valid and both feelings are genuine.

If the moderators were doing their job we'd not be subjected to reading something so.....reasonable.  

39 minutes ago, Cratter said:

"Months after choosing a new nickname, schools hockey arena sells new order of old nickname clothing."

I have no problem with it, but let's not pretend ordering clothing was the only way to keep the trademark.

You are correct in that it doesn't have to be clothing.  But the trademark has to be used on some goods, so it might as well be something that sells.

Wonder if there isn't some sort of "checkpoint" so to speak coming up on when they need to release the next batch of merchandise to protect the trademarks and figure it makes more sense to do it right now rather than at the same time or shortly after the new logo comes out.

11 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Wonder if there isn't some sort of "checkpoint" so to speak coming up on when they need to release the next batch of merchandise to protect the trademarks and figure it makes more sense to do it right now rather than at the same time or shortly after the new logo comes out.

Once a new logo is released and UND is licensed to sell the new Fighting Hawks merchandise with the new logo, I think it would be in the best interest of UND to either limit the frequency of these Dakotah Legacy Collection apparel being released or release merchandise that is not apparel.  Someone with better knowledge of trademark laws can answer me on this, but I would think that UND is not restricted to just releasing clothing with the Sioux logo on it to maintain the trademark.  

UND is in a re branding period.   They have a new nickname for their athletic teams and soon will have a logo to go with it.  UND wants people to adapt and accept the new brand.  Having periodic releases of clothing of Sioux apparel is going to really hinder an already difficult process of getting people to adapt and accept thte new nickname.  So while releasing retro Sioux apparel is great for fans that want those items for many reasons, it actually hurts the rebranding efforts of UND.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Siouxperfan7 said:

Once a new logo is released and UND is licensed to sell the new Fighting Hawks merchandise with the new logo, I think it would be in the best interest of UND to either limit the frequency of these Dakotah Legacy Collection apparel being released or release merchandise that is not apparel.  Someone with better knowledge of trademark laws can answer me on this, but I would think that UND is not restricted to just releasing clothing with the Sioux logo on it to maintain the trademark.  

UND is in a re branding period.   They have a new nickname for their athletic teams and soon will have a logo to go with it.  UND wants people to adapt and accept the new brand.  Having periodic releases of clothing of Sioux apparel is going to really hinder an already difficult process of getting people to adapt and accept thte new nickname.  So while releasing retro Sioux apparel is great for fans that want those items for many reasons, it actually hurts the rebranding efforts of UND.

Absolutely spot on.

• Downvote 1

58 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

You really don't have a clue, do you?

11 minutes ago, runaroundsioux said:

You really don't have a clue, do you?

Gotta love when an opinion is criticized with a short demeaning response with no actual argument to back it up. How should I respond to that..."Oh yes, you have convinced me...I in fact don't have a clue.  Thanks for convincing me with your excellent argument" :)

I am not going to do the research so I don't know the specifics other than a company has to use a logo periodically (whatever time period that is I don't know) otherwise someone else could step up and use it and say "Hey they weren't using it anymore". I doubt we will see it very often - although I would bet The Ralph will make sure they use it as often as is allowed. I would think that Stanford, Miami of Ohio and other schools that have gone through the change have to do the same thing. 

19 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Gotta love when an opinion is criticized with a short demeaning response with no actual argument to back it up. How should I respond to that..."Oh yes, you have convinced me...I in fact don't have a clue.  Thanks for convincing me with your excellent argument" :)

There is an old saying "The wound will heal,but the scar still remains." A few on here have become a little over zealous with their "demand" that the "Sioux Only", "Hockey Only", "Sioux Forever" crowd ,or whatever other derogatory term you come up with, "adapt and accept" the new name, and that you're not a "true fan"if you don't. It may or may not happen. Continually sticking your finger in the wound isn't going to help the healing process. That a few dozen sweatshirts would send you off into a conspiracy tizzy is a little disconcerting. In other words, lighten up.

• Upvote 3

UND must maintain and retain the trademark. See the Settlement Agreement, section 2.j "Intellectual Property".  

To maintain and retain a trademark (a trade mark) the mark must be used in trade, or as section 2.j says "commercial use". 

Trade or commercial use means sales of goods with the mark, specifically the name or logo. 

It's not that difficult. 

• Upvote 4