SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets change the goal song

theisdog

But it's Jonathan Toews and every Sioux fan should be a Blackhawk fan now, right?

We know that you won't give in to that, Mafia Man :p . Nothing would make you turn your back on your beloved Redwings. ;)

P.S. See what I did right there?!

School songs are common after scores in a number of college sports. Hockey, Football etc... To me there has always been that tie. I've always liked it. I I like that college feeling experience. Of course I like college pep bands, always have, always will. I was never talented enough to play an instrument, but I've always enjoyed a good pep band. I feel the REA is less about tying UND Hockey to the University of North Dakota, than they are to making it something else-- like a pro team. The idea is to separate the entity in this case- hockey, from it's school, and have it stand out. That's their prerogative, and they do a good job of it. I'm not saying it's good or bad either, it's just the way it is. There is no doubt that the goal song we now have elicits a response from the fan base. Personally, I like our school song. I'm not ashamed of it. Are others ashamed of our school song? My other question is, UND Hockey is still college hockey... what's the rush to make the entire game experience like the pros? Of course I'm an old fuddy duddy, where my favorite times were in the old building, where many times we made our own fun...but I digress.

Here's my idea. Play the school song right after we score the goal. Drop the puck at center ice and after the next stoppage of play, crank up the Chelsea Dagger. At the next stoppage of play, Looker can do the "Here's your University of North Dakota scoooooooooring!" This way lets you celebrate the goal 3 times and keeps the momentum going after each goal.

If we're worried about being original, then let's stop with the N-O-R-T-H etc business at the end of the school song, and let's also quit with the crappy Neil Diamond song that has no business in hockey rinks.

I like originality too, but if we have to get rid of something pretty good like Chelsea Daggar, let's get rid of the crappier stuff at the same time (or better yet, first!)

• Upvote 3

Here's my idea. Play the school song right after we score the goal. Drop the puck at center ice and after the next stoppage of play, crank up the Chelsea Dagger. At the next stoppage of play, Looker can do the "Here's your University of North Dakota scoooooooooring!" This way lets you celebrate the goal 3 times and keeps the momentum going after each goal.

I like it. Maybe then, folks in the lounge/bar area of REA might actually look at the ice below them and see what's going on! :lol:

If we're worried about being original, then let's stop with the N-O-R-T-H etc business at the end of the school song, and let's also quit with the crappy Neil Diamond song that has no business in hockey rinks.

I like originality too, but if we have to get rid of something pretty good like Chelsea Daggar, let's get rid of the crappier stuff at the same time (or better yet, first!)

If i am not mistaken, because I have discussed Warmup music with Josh Jones, the players pick the songs that are played pre-game.

If i am not mistaken, because I have discussed Warmup music with Josh Jones, the players pick the songs that are played pre-game.

I'm not talking about the warm-up music, I'm talking about Sweet Caroline, and then crowd sings along and does the "bah bah bah" thingy.

Yuck

• Upvote 1

I like the current goal song, I am actually cool with whatever they do... I think there's a few songs in the cue that could be changed, but if your unhappy with the current selection drop Josh Jones a line and ask him about the process, I am sure he would be glad to explain it to you. I am sure all of us have different tastes, obviously Mafia Man's selection in heavy metal is suspect. :)

Edited by Goon

I throw up in my mouth every time they spell North Dakota. Same when Duluth does it. Result of too many suburban twin cities kids going to UND and UMD.

Stealing Sweet Caroline from SCSU who stole it from the Boston Red Sox is just gross.

At least we haven't stole Ole, Ole Ole from the land cows.

I actually support REA and Sioux hockey standing out from the rest of the University- after all the venue and the team are really in a different stratosphere than every other team...

• Upvote 1

I would pay money if they quit playing "clap clap clap your hands"! I puke EVERYTIME (million) they play it!

Or Put Your Hands Up In The Air. I usually detest songs that ask you to do something. I loved it when a small section of students would just put their hands straight up in the air during that song and not move them. They just put their hands up and held them straight in the air. I laughed every single time.

• Upvote 1

I'd personally like it if the pep band played more during the breaks. I know they need a break once in a while because with period breaks and everything they're basically playing for three consecutive hours. It would eliminate some of those crappy songs that they fill the time between faceoffs.

I'd personally like it if the pep band played more during the breaks. I know they need a break once in a while because with period breaks and everything they're basically playing for three consecutive hours. It would eliminate some of those crappy songs that they fill the time between faceoffs.

Agree 100%