SiouxSports.com Forum

Lets change the goal song

theisdog

I think " Chelsea Dagger" is great after a goal - Loud, rhythmic, and perfect for audience participation. Everything done at the Ralph (except 'Home of the Sioux') has been appropriated from somewhere else and if you are going to borrow, you could do a lot worse than borrowing from the Blackhawks (Sweet Caroline, for example). On another note I was wondering if the new Grand Forks ordinance prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation will have an effect on how the beloved "Kiss Cam" feature will be presented - we cannot assume that all "couples" in attendance are straight. Just curious.

I think " Chelsea Dagger" is great after a goal - Loud, rhythmic, and perfect for audience participation. Everything done at the Ralph (except 'Home of the Sioux') has been appropriated from somewhere else and if you are going to borrow, you could do a lot worse than borrowing from the Blackhawks (Sweet Caroline, for example). On another note I was wondering if the new Grand Forks ordinance prohibiting discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation will have an effect on how the beloved "Kiss Cam" feature will be presented - we cannot assume that all "couples" in attendance are straight. Just curious.

I believe that ordinance is only for the city government and doesn't really apply to anyone else.

I think " Chelsea Dagger" is great after a goal - Loud, rhythmic, and perfect for audience participation. Everything done at the Ralph (except 'Home of the Sioux') has been sculpted without any originality whatsoever.

Fixed the last part of your post...

Fans, the big screen is flashing 'CLAP YOUR HANDS' so please clap your hands. Fans, we're down a goal with 1:00 to play, so it's time to stand up and shout like the big screen is telling you. Fans, please jump up and go crazy over a crappy t-shirt that's three sizes too small for you to be launched into your vicinity so you can maybe catch it.

Lemmings...things were sooooo non-corporate at the old REA. I miss that. These days, it's 'Kiss-Cam sponsored by Match.com' and 'Here comes your Subway Power Play brought to you by Wal-Mart sponsored by Red Lobster.'

I know I'm an old fuddie-duddie. Flame away.

• Upvote 3

Fixed the last part of your post...

Fans, the big screen is flashing 'CLAP YOUR HANDS' so please clap your hands. Fans, we're down a goal with 1:00 to play, so it's time to stand up and shout like the big screen is telling you. Fans, please jump up and go crazy over a crappy t-shirt that's three sizes too small for you to be launched into your vicinity so you can maybe catch it.

Lemmings...things were sooooo non-corporate at the old REA. I miss that. These days, it's 'Kiss-Cam sponsored by Match.com' and 'Here comes your Subway Power Play brought to you by Wal-Mart sponsored by Red Lobster.'

I know I'm an old fuddie-duddie. Flame away.

Make sure only to stand when they tell... not too much spirit now..

I say just keep "Welcome to the Jungle" and ditch everything else. All Jungle, all the time...

Nothing got the old Ralph louder when they played that song. It was everyones cue to go crazy!! I agree...bring that back. "You're in the jungle baby, you're gonna die!!!"

Make sure only to stand when they tell... not too much spirit now..

And, yes, A) in the middle of a two-on-one or three-on-two breakaway, please be sure to STAND UP and leave the middle of the section so you can go grab your next beer or B) in the middle of a two-on-one or three-on-two breakaway, please disrupt the entire row by trying to sprint back to your seat or, better yet, be sure to stand in front of me and stop to watch and see what happens. Bonus points if your beer is spilled on me while doing so.

• Upvote 2

And, yes, A) in the middle of a two-on-one or three-on-two breakaway, please be sure to STAND UP and leave the middle of the section so you can go grab your next beer or B) in the middle of a two-on-one or three-on-two breakaway, please disrupt the entire row by trying to sprint back to your seat or, better yet, be sure to stand in front of me and stop to watch and see what happens. Bonus points if your beer is spilled on me while doing so.

My favorite one is, come in the side with seats 1-20 when your seat number is 35!! And all entrances are labeled with the seat numbers!!

Players choose the song

They like to hear it

They only hear it when they score

They score more

They hear it more

I say keep it

That being said using this logic if "when I think about you I touch myself"

resulted in more goals I'd vote for that............

......well maybe that would be to far

• Upvote 2

I stand up and clap and cheer for the goal. I cringe when the song comes on, which is generally after a 45 minute review of the goal.

Many other songs could be used and I'd be willing to bet damn near everybody would stand up and cheer with that one as well. This is UND not UJT. Time for UND to come up with something of their own. School song would be just fine. UND started using Chelsea Dagger immediately after the Blackhawks became a powerhouse team again. You would think a college hockey powerhouse like UND would/should have something original of their own.

The UND media guide says it all for me, isdog. The very first pages don't display images of players on past championship teams, they show images of recent former players now in the NHL. 'We're North Dakota, we produce an NHL-type atmosphere in our arena and you too can be a pro player if you come here.' That's the message...and the song is part of that.

If the Chicago Blackhawks decided tomorrow to play 'Whoomp! There It Is!' after every goal Chicago scores, I'd bet UND would immediately follow suit.

The UND media guide says it all for me, isdog. The very first pages don't display images of players on past championship teams, they show images of recent former players now in the NHL. 'We're North Dakota, we produce an NHL-type atmosphere in our arena and you too can be a pro player if you come here.' That's the message...and the song is part of that.

If the Chicago Blackhawks decided tomorrow to play 'Whoomp! There It Is!' after every goal Chicago scores, I'd bet UND would immediately follow suit.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Also, the players chose the song, not the University.

I like how its been done the past few years and I feel the song has grown in the past 3 years when it began to grow on us as students. I was lucky to have tickets since arriving in the Fall of 09, so before they put the song in, it was goal, school song, students hi five and then clap for the school song, sieve the goalie, announce the goal, beer song.

For the last 2.5-3 years now: goal, Chelsea Dagger, students dance and celebrate, school song, students clap for school song, sieve the goalie, announce the goal, beer song.

In a way with Chelsea Dagger, we students created somewhat of a tradition and its a fun upbeat ridiculous song that you want in a goal song. :) It just grew on us and it started to spread as the years went along. I think the players see that and that's why its still around

Its bad enough they took our Beer Lady, don't take our Dagger!

• Upvote 1

I say just keep "Welcome to the Jungle" and ditch everything else. All Jungle, all the time...

With one rendition of the YMCA per game, during which the student section picks up one person to throw their legs up for the "Y"

• 1 month later...

How about a mock up of Avenge Sevenfold (Hail To The King). Might be a bit much.

Option #1. Start @ Minute 3:55 or 4:12

3:55

There's a taste of fear

When the henchmen call

Iron fist to tame the land

Iron fist to claim it all

4:12

Hail to the king (SIOUX)

Hail to the one

Kneel to the crown

Stand in the sun

Hail to the king (SIOUX)