SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

This makes me wonder if he really takes any input from Berry or Jackson?

doesn't berry run the pp? if that is the case he does take input. this team isn't built for a cycle system, nor was last year's. this leads to shot total like we are seeing on a regular basis of our opponent consistently getting over 30 and und being outshot because they have no puck possesion time. it's constanly one bad pass and possesion over and let's go spend time in our own zone for a while.

doesn't berry run the pp? if that is the case he does take input. this team isn't built for a cycle system, nor was last year's. this leads to shot total like we are seeing on a regular basis of our opponent consistently getting over 30 and und being outshot because they have no puck possesion time. it's constanly one bad pass and possesion over and let's go spend time in our own zone for a while.

UND is averaging 33 SOG/game at this point...the problem with that stat is the fact that UND's play each game is, and has been now for a couple years, dictated by the style of play by the other team. UND doesn't impose it's style/system of play on anyone anymore. Play Miami with their racehorse style and we go up and down and get off 40 SOG. Play St Cloud and their clog up the neutral zone and we struggle to get anthing going and get off 20 SOG.

The current system with the current players doesn't dictate pace or style of play. We simple try to adapt game in and game out IMO. When The Pony Express and Co. was around they had the horse up and down the lineup to fit Hak's system to impose that style of play on any team every game. Now that just isn't the case.

UND is averaging 33 SOG/game at this point...the problem with that stat is the fact that UND's play each game is, and has been now for a couple years, dictated by the style of play by the other team. UND doesn't impose it's style/system of play on anyone anymore. Play Miami with their racehorse style and we go up and down and get off 40 SOG. Play St Cloud and their clog up the neutral zone and we struggle to get anthing going and get off 20 SOG.

The current system with the current players doesn't dictate pace or style of play. We simple try to adapt game in and game out IMO. When The Pony Express and Co. was around they had the horse up and down the lineup to fit Hak's system to impose that style of play on any team every game. Now that just isn't the case.

Doesn't the better team usually dictate the style of play?

My question though is when it comes to Berry is he setting up the d the way he thinks they should be set up or the way Hak wants him to set them up?

My question though is when it comes to Berry is he setting up the d the way he thinks they should be set up or the way Hak wants him to set them up?

Considering that they changed systems when Berry came in, I would guess that it came from Berry's input.

Dear NCHC,

Allow me to save you all some scouting money:

- If UND is at even strength they will try to enter the zone with a two-man game on the right wing between the dot and the boards.

- If UND is up a man they will try to enter the zone between dead center and the left wing dot, and expect that the LD will be bringing it up the middle.

Additional note: if it's 4x4 play UND will play like they are down a man.

Dear Dave Hakstol,

Your pony has one trick. Start teaching some new ones.

Gino did the same thing over and over for years.

Pretty much the same predictable one as hak. It looks the same as now.

And what happened during Gino's final three years as head coach? Yup, the program went down the toilet. What worked in the 1980's did not work as well in the 1990's and does not necessarily work in the 2010's either. I wish Hakstol would figure that out.

• Upvote 1

And what happened during Gino's final three years as head coach? Yup, the program went down the toilet. What worked in the 1980's did not work as well in the 1990's and does not necessarily work in the 2010's either. I wish Hakstol would figure that out.

so your saying we currently have gino, jr but with cheaper shoes but a nicer house???

Yah but, they will never, ever find a better coach in all of America. :)

Nothing to do with firing him, I just hate when people argue that they cannot possibly find a better coach than Hak.

I'm sure the people in denver were saying the same thing about Gwoz. the problem is that IF Hak were to ever leave they would fill the position with some former UND alum instead of doing an actual search and we would be in the same boat or worse.

• Upvote 1

Hak isn't going anywhere nor should he; his resume speaks for itself. We haven't had a bad season in quite a long time. I too wish we had a national championship (or two) over the past 10 years as we have had some special teams. However, hockey is an odd game and bad bounces often change a "one and done" game. Everything is cyclical, we'll get another one sooner or later.

Now for the constructive criticism; Hak has to learn how to motivate his players better. I think he waits too long before he interjects. By the time he attempts to start firing them up....they are already losing. That Friday game reminded me so much of the Yale loss last year. Our team was playing for the 1-0 win and that's it. Right when SCSU tied it up I (and the team) knew it was over. I truly believe this is all motivational.

Gino's system was also outdated and hence forced to resign?

The last three years of the Gino era featured 17, 12, and 11 wins respectively. Times had changed and Gino didn't change with them. Blais came in starting in 1994-95 and rebuilt the program with a different recruiting and game strategy. What followed was one of the winningest periods in team history. Making adjustments to changes that happen in the game are something Hakstol and his staff have not been very good at. I think this year's team could use a change in strategy and tactics.

• Upvote 1

I'm a hockey fan but couldn't break down strategies or systems to save my life, is what Hak is running now very different to what Blais did when he was winning all the time?

I am no hockey expert, but the team definitely plays it closer to the vest than under Blais. Everything is about structure, structure, structure. Blais didn't really have a "system" for the forwards; all he wanted was for them to backcheck whenever the defensemen needed help. Blais believed in allowing forwards to use their creativity and instincts to make things happen on the ice. He also was a big believer in kids playing pond hockey outdoors so that they could develop those skills without the constraints of a "system". This is the biggest problem with Hakstol and his staff; they are married to the system for better or worse. Honestly, if I wanted to watch stuff like this, I would get Wild season tickets.

• Upvote 1

I am no hockey expert, but the team definitely plays it closer to the vest than under Blais. Everything is about structure, structure, structure. Blais didn't really have a "system" for the forwards; all he wanted was for them to backcheck whenever the defensemen needed help. Blais believed in allowing forwards to use their creativity and instincts to make things happen on the ice. He also was a big believer in kids playing pond hockey outdoors so that they could develop those skills without the constraints of a "system". This is the biggest problem with Hakstol and his staff; they are married to the system for better or worse. Honestly, if I wanted to watch stuff like this, I would get Wild season tickets.

That seems consistent with what I've seen. Things seemed more 'open' on offense before Hakstol and maybe that's why sometimes UND looks less creative and skilled than their opponents. Miami and BC are two teams that usually expose that from what I've seen.

• Upvote 1

As far as their "system" goes, it's fine and many other teams run similar systems. This all boils down to work ethic and motivation in my mind. There needs to be some more creativity on the PP but their 5x5 game is fine. Mentally this team (and last year's team) has major lapses during the course of games. Someone needs to wake them up. Again, I am positive this team will turn it around. I'm guessing this could be a roller coaster season, hopefully they pull their heads out of their arses by playoff time.